Bathurst

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
J.A.W.

Re: Bathurst

carisi2k wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 05:05
J.A.W. wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 03:46
Safety..

It is an entirely predictable & avoidable crash causation factor..
Not a 60km/h (official speed limit) it isn't. The circuit is heavily patrolled by the police to make sure people don't think they are lowdnesy or McLaughlin. People like myself can park alongside the track or visit one of the vineyards alongside the circuit.

A photo of mine from the circuit.
https://www.facebook.com/SydneyNswFoami ... =3&theater

Patrolled 24/7 - ah, no.. it aint..

& for visitors mentally conditioned - by only seeing the track in race-mode..
..the temptation to lapse into a racing line is pre-programmed..

A one-way restriction - is so self-evidently a no-brainer - safety-wise..
..but judging by how they operate, it does not surprise me that the NSW RTA - are unable to impress this on the locals..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

carisi2k

How do you know it isn't patrolled 24/7. Every time I go to bathurst outside of a race weekend there has always been highway patrols either driving around the circuit or sitting on the side of the road at the chase. Speaking to locals it would seem to be common practice.

The RTA is now the RMS and having police patrol the circuit is a really good generator of income for the police.

J.A.W.

This year's 12 hour is on today, & the action has been hot 'n' heavy, with virtually all the top contenders having taken
a turn at leading, (between awfully frequent pace-car interruption intervals - due to the fraught racing causing dramas).

Oddly, the winning Ferrari team from last year is a no-show, & coming up to 1/2 distance, a Porsche is now leading.

Webber2011

Fantastic race coming down to the last hour now.
So many stories that will decide the result.

This is going to be intense :shock:

https://7plus.com.au/live-tv?channel-id=7Mate

AJI
AJI

Webber2011 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 07:35

Shame it ended the way it did, but the 12 hour is so much better than the 1000.

carisi2k

AJI wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 08:58
Webber2011 wrote:
04 Feb 2018, 07:35

Shame it ended the way it did, but the 12 hour is so much better than the 1000.
I don't think so. The 12 hour is great and I have been to it several times but it is by no means better then the 1000.

AJI
AJI

carisi2k wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 11:47

I don't think so. The 12 hour is great and I have been to it several times but it is by no means better then the 1000.
I guess it's just a generational thing. The 12 hour represents more of what Bathurst is traditionally about for me. A heavily modified road car endurance race. Sure they're GT's now, but the spirit is the same.
The 1000 has been a poorly disguised spec series for years now. I'm not saying the racing isn't great, I'm just sentimental for the group A or C days

carisi2k

You should not be sentimental for the group a days. I remember those days and all I remember is either a sierra rs500 cosworth (never sold in australia) or a nissan gtr dominating. I also remember fields of only 8 cars at touring car rounds with only bathurst the exception.

digitalrurouni

So glad there are youtube channels like Nismo TV that cover Super GT and the Bathurst and provide it to us fans for free!

carisi2k

AJI wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 12:13
carisi2k wrote:
05 Feb 2018, 11:47

I guess it's just a generational thing. The 12 hour represents more of what Bathurst is traditionally about for me. A heavily modified road car endurance race. Sure they're GT's now, but the spirit is the same.
The 1000 has been a poorly disguised spec series for years now. I'm not saying the racing isn't great, I'm just sentimental for the group A or C days
GT3 cars are not in anyway shape or form a modified street car like group a. They are carbon fibre racing chassis with panels over the top to make them look like a normal road car. In that regards a v8 supercar has more in common with a street car then GT3 cars do.

J.A.W.

How long did it take Nissan to get that 1st Bathurst 1000 outright title - in Group A?
Not 'til a year after they'd won the ATCC.. ( & only after ~1/2 a decade of Grp A Bathurst 1000 attempts).

& didn't the TWR Holden V8 - driven by Grice/Percy, still humble the much more highly fancied turbos over the race distance?

The (soon to be V6) 'V8 Supercars', are still much more formulaic/anodyne.

Edit: Checked/corrected Nissan info.
Last edited by J.A.W. on 07 Feb 2018, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

AJI
AJI

carisi2k wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 04:32

GT3 cars are not in anyway shape or form a modified street car like group a. They are carbon fibre racing chassis with panels over the top to make them look like a normal road car. In that regards a v8 supercar has more in common with a street car then GT3 cars do.
Oh man, I didn't want to start a whole thing here, but the fact that you or I can buy a GT3 car and go racing is more my point about comparison of the traditional, let's say 'Tooheys 1000', to the current supercars series.
Supercars is a spec series. They all have the same chassis, they all run the same transaxle (even though none of those cars run that configuration for their road going counterpart), they all have a facsimile of the Holden or Ford or Nissan bodies, (but they are absolutely not the bodies produced by the manufacturer) and every single engine, no matter the brand, is BoP'd to within a few HP of each other in the entire operating range of the engine.
Supercars is basically the Aussie version of nascar with a pinch more reality.

Tim.Wright

carisi2k wrote:
GT3 are very close to road car spec. They use the production chassis, the production suspension concept must be maintained but there is some freedom on the chassis side for new hardpoints. Engines are production based units as well. Some manufacturers have even used production car suspension parts with bushings replaced with uniballs to keep costs down.

GTE is more customised. Engine has nothing to do with the production unit. The production chassis is still used but essentially the layout of the car can be highly modified as porsche have shown with the mid engined 911 Turbo.

The carbon chassis seen in GT3 are not motorsport specific but simply carryover production parts. As a result they are only on the cars which have a production carbon chassis such as the McLarens.

V8 Supercars, as far as I know, are silhouette cars these days (i.e. a non structural body shell draped over a standardised spaceframe chassis). There is nothing production based at all.
Not the engineer at Force India

carisi2k

AJI wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 10:17
carisi2k wrote:

Oh man, I didn't want to start a whole thing here, but the fact that you or I can buy a GT3 car and go racing is more my point about comparison of the traditional, let's say 'Tooheys 1000', to the current supercars series.
Supercars is a spec series. They all have the same chassis, they all run the same transaxle (even though none of those cars run that configuration for their road going counterpart), they all have a facsimile of the Holden or Ford or Nissan bodies, (but they are absolutely not the bodies produced by the manufacturer) and every single engine, no matter the brand, is BoP'd to within a few HP of each other in the entire operating range of the engine.
Supercars is basically the Aussie version of nascar with a pinch more reality.
I don't know what you are on but in what universe can people afford to buy a GT3 car. The GT3 cars made by manufacturers are special purpose race cars built to be street legal and in no way or form are anywhere near like a basic car that normal people could buy for $30,000 Australian dollars. They are often much different in spec to the normal production versions most people can buy even though those are truly ridiculously expensive as well.

On Porsche's website the cost of a GT3 is $353,644. If people have that much spare money in Sydney it would go towards buying a house which doesn't deflate in value the minute you open the door. Neither the R8 GT3, amg gt3 or the bmw m4 gt3 are available on the Australian websites with any sort of pricing.

The Mclaren 650s has been substituted for the 720s and there is also no gt3 pricing available in Australia. Same goes for the 488 gt3. So when you say buy I actually can't buy one In Australia (even if I could afford it) aside from the Porsche at $350k. All GT3 cars from these manufacturers are left hand drive in any case and not legal for the road in Australia.

The V8 supercar may not be the same as the production car but they cost the same or less then the basic retail porsche 911 gt3. They may be a spec series but the drivers put on great racing and so does most of the circuits in Australia. GT3 racing is a rich boys racing club and not at all relevant to the car you can buy in the shop or in Australia can't buy in the shop.

AJI
AJI

carisi2k wrote:
07 Feb 2018, 21:01

I don't know what you are on but in what universe can people afford to buy a GT3 car.
I'm not on anything and my feet are firmly planted in this universe.
Have you not noticed that most of the GT3 field is privateers?

Ps That GT3 Porsche sounds cheap to me!