Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
loukayne

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

I think thats a very good idea for homologated ACD , but would one unit suffice? Would it be better for each gearbox/differential manufacture (Xtrac/Sadev) to homologated their own ACD to match with their homologated gearboxes and F/R LSDs?

PS.
Matt, do you know much on the homologated turbos that Garrett supply to the WRC?

loukayne

A striking aggressive look via a new aerodynamic package which includes a bigger rear wing, and engine power raised to 380bhp thanks to an increase in turbo restrictor size to 36mm are the headline changes.

Cars will be bigger due to a 55mm increase in the permitted width and a greater overhang at the front and rear, electronically-controlled centre differentials will return and they will be 25kg lighter.

The changes will be the biggest since the current technical rules were introduced in 2011, but FIA chiefs stress they are evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

“There were three main objectives with these regulations: make the car spectacular, be mindful of costs, and maintain, if not increase safety. The cars will be striking, there is no doubt about that, and there are small but always significant improvements in relation to safety,” said FIA technical director Bernard Niclot.
Reigning world champion Sébastien Ogier was delighted with the new proposals.

“As a racing driver you are always looking for more performance. I think the larger wing and new aerodynamics will give the car a bit more downforce, more grip and more speed going into the corners.

“This is also good for the show, because the extra power will definitely make the driving more spectacular for the fans. And it will also make the car look a bit more aggressive with a wider body,” he said.

WRC Promoter managing director Oliver Ciesla said the new cars would look ‘distinct and dynamic’.
“An already exhilarating sport will become even more so in 2017 and fans have every right to be excited about the positive direction in which WRC is heading,” he said.

Source
http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/july/wrc ... 2-12-.html

MadMatt

Haha looks like the FIA read this thread. Happy where WRC is going with these regulations. Now that I am not involved in WRC anymore I hope we will see more from a spectator point of view (technical data, live telemetry).

WRC promoters if you read this I offer my services for "quick tech talks" (article) for the fans explaning with easy words a small bit of telemetry data taken during a stage to show the people how the driver drove in that section!

I think fans would love to see how these great drivers perform.

MadMatt

Last edited by MadMatt on 23 Oct 2015, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisF1

Matt, those images aren't loading for me - any chance of a re-up or link?

MadMatt

ChrisF1 wrote:Matt, those images aren't loading for me - any chance of a re-up or link?
I've edited the links, if you know a good free (and easy to use) picture hosting website let me know!

ChrisF1

Thanks, working now. Not sure I like the width, it looks a bit like what's known in the UK as a chav motor.

Since VW was testing, any word if it was in cheat mode? I kid I kid! :lol:

Seriously I'm eh on the widebody but I like the sound of more power and a little more aero grip. I just wish we got to see more of WRC in the states. My wife and I watch it when we can but the coverage is limited at best.

Cold Fussion

1158 wrote:Since VW was testing, any word if it was in cheat mode? I kid I kid! :lol:

Seriously I'm eh on the widebody but I like the sound of more power and a little more aero grip. I just wish we got to see more of WRC in the states. My wife and I watch it when we can but the coverage is limited at best.
Have you tried wrc plus? Couple $ a month and you get full live coverage.

Cold Fussion wrote:
1158 wrote:Since VW was testing, any word if it was in cheat mode? I kid I kid! :lol:

Have you tried wrc plus? Couple $ a month and you get full live coverage.

I hadn't even thought of looking online. I'll show it to my wife and see what she thinks. I'm looking at the page right now and it looks pretty awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. +1 for you

loukayne

2017 VW Polo R WRC

2017 Citroen C3 WRC

2017 Toyota Yaris WRC

Pierce89

I'm digging the 2017 body rules. That VW looks sweet.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

TzeiTzei

I like the looks of the Polo. The others so far have looked a bit meh. Moar power. Moar! 500hp would be good. But anyway, I think that things are looking more positive for WRC.

nokivasara

The front looks OK but the rear is hideous IMO.
Would it hurt to make the body kit a bit smoother in the transition to the body?

Cuky

Here is new Fiesta

And new Hyundai

Also, new Polo probably won't see any racing as VW is pulling out of WRC at the end of this season
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/126936