Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
br21
br21

Re: Next Generation of World Rally Cars

Very interesting season in front of us. Cars will be really powerful, with similar (already big) amount of torque like they had this season. Active diffs will make big difference in handling, also much more advanced aero will be big and important factor.

roon
roon

br21 wrote:Very interesting season in front of us. Cars will be really powerful, with similar (already big) amount of torque like they had this season. Active diffs will make big difference in handling, also much more advanced aero will be big and important factor.
I agree, should be interesting. I wonder how much aero will make a difference in this new formula, considering the big mechanical changes. Toyota looks to have taken fullest advantage of the new dimensional/aerodynamic rules—compact radiator ducting, side mirror wings, huge rear wheel extractors, center exhaust blowing over top the diffuser. The diffuser itself is remarkably well integrated. From the rear it looks like a contorted LMP.

BanMeToo
BanMeToo

Wow. These things are going to fly :shock:

Pierce89

roon wrote:
br21 wrote:Very interesting season in front of us. Cars will be really powerful, with similar (already big) amount of torque like they had this season. Active diffs will make big difference in handling, also much more advanced aero will be big and important factor.
I agree, should be interesting. I wonder how much aero will make a difference in this new formula, considering the big mechanical changes. Toyota looks to have taken fullest advantage of the new dimensional/aerodynamic rules—compact radiator ducting, side mirror wings, huge rear wheel extractors, center exhaust blowing over top the diffuser. The diffuser itself is remarkably well integrated. From the rear it looks like a contorted LMP.

http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/defaul ... k=GksIcwzZ
The Citroen has a HUGE diffuser also.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

roon
roon

True, and dive planes up front. Something I don't recall seeing on a WRC car before.

I noticed the diffusers on the Citroen, Ford, VW, & Hyundai all jut out past the rear bumper. The Toyota's is flush. So maybe their rear suspension/chassis/drivetrain accommodates this in a way which the others don't. I would think minimal overhangs would be beneficial in rally.

Another thought is yaw. These cars spend a lot of time in it. How much downforce dropoff might there be when pivoting these cars at high speeds? Was that ever an issue in Group B?

br21
br21

For sure those aero things were developed to work when car going sideways also.
For me main thing is how those big aero packages will last, especially during gravel rallies.
Interesting as active diff will mainly affect tight corners and aero will affect high speed corners.

sonnybobiche
sonnybobiche

roon wrote:Another thought is yaw. These cars spend a lot of time in it. How much downforce dropoff might there be when pivoting these cars at high speeds?
Good question. I would think that wings with lots of vertical fins like some of the iterations of Toyota's design would cause stalling when going anything but forward. But the thing that really leaves me scratching my head is how they get around the pitch problem with the rear diffuser. These cars necessarily have huge suspension travel and pitch up and down like crazy. Wouldn't that cause big instability in downforce as well?

Please be gentle guys, it's my first post and I haven't studied aerospace engineering in more than a decade.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Rallycars make more downforce sideways than in straight line, which make sense. Why would you need that much downforce (and drag) going in a straight line! :)

roon
roon

Second place finish for Toyota's return.

https://youtu.be/FUafkTc_VZY

nokivasara
nokivasara

roon wrote:Second place finish for Toyota's return.

https://youtu.be/FUafkTc_VZY
And today they got their first victory, in their second race =D>

TBH Thierry Neuville in a Hyundai was much faster but he lost the lead again, for the second rally in a row, due to bad luck and a little mistake on the last turn of the last stage yesterday.

Pierce89

The new cars are so quick they cancelled stage 12 for excess speeds.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

nokivasara
nokivasara

Indeed, the average speed was 137kph IIRC and the upper limit is 130kph. That could have been avoided with a more twisty section within the stage but I guess the speed of these new cars got everyone off guard!
I must say that even if I'm not a big fan of the kit car style I enjoy the new breed of cars more than I'd thought.
Often when there are big rule changes to make the racing/rallying better for the fans the changes instead lead the other way, but not this time!
I think they should have renamed the WRC, these cars are closer to Group B monsters than last years WRC cars, both in looks and power. But the most amazing thing with rally cars IMO is the suspension travel, look at the cars when they have the inner wheel way down in the ditch, yet the car sist perfectly level! And the way they land after a jump, truly amazing.

I really hope that the new wide era F1 cars also surprice me, in a good way.

Pierce89

nokivasara wrote:Indeed, the average speed was 137kph IIRC and the upper limit is 130kph. That could have been avoided with a more twisty section within the stage but I guess the speed of these new cars got everyone off guard!
I must say that even if I'm not a big fan of the kit car style I enjoy the new breed of cars more than I'd thought.
Often when there are big rule changes to make the racing/rallying better for the fans the changes instead lead the other way, but not this time!
I think they should have renamed the WRC, these cars are closer to Group B monsters than last years WRC cars, both in looks and power. But the most amazing thing with rally cars IMO is the suspension travel, look at the cars when they have the inner wheel way down in the ditch, yet the car sist perfectly level! And the way they land after a jump, truly amazing.

I really hope that the new wide era F1 cars also surprice me, in a good way.
It's also cool how the flat floor folds down to accommodate full droop over the jumps.

TEHNOS

TEHNOS

[youtube]OU3h02M8kY4[/youtube]