2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2015 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne

I'm not sure, but i think Rosberg will be strong. He has had significantly more testing in the new car and i think will be the one to beat in QF. I'm not even sure i am counting on a frontrow Merc. Think there will be a strong challenger. Just a hunch...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:He has had significantly more testing in the new car and i think will be the one to beat in QF.
I don't think the extra testing will matter at all, given how cold it was. If they had been testing in Bahrain, where you could actually learn what the car would feel like on a typical race weekend, that would be a different story.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A duplicate2

Phil wrote:I'm not sure, but i think Rosberg will be strong. He has had significantly more testing in the new car and i think will be the one to beat in QF. I'm not even sure i am counting on a frontrow Merc. Think there will be a strong challenger. Just a hunch...
It was the same case last year. Lewis got lesser mileage than Nico in winter testing.

2014 March - Here are the lap counts from the third winter test, with each driver’s total from all three tests in brackets:
1. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 235 laps (448)
2. Sergio Perez, Force India, 213 laps (337)
3. Felipe Massa, Williams, 202 laps (400)
4. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren, 197 laps (485)
5. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 196 laps (529)
6. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 192 laps (554)
7. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber, 191 laps (402)
8. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 189 laps (343)
9. Adrian Sutil, Sauber, 181 laps (372)
10. Marcus Ericsson, Caterham, 172 laps (284)
11. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 159 laps (420)

As far as strong challenger is concerned, looking at Pat Symond's interview on autosport, they quietly felt that are they much more closer to Merc than last year, but only figure to out that the gap has grown in winter testing. Renault still struggling to find more power, it's not hard to imagine that Red Bull is not going to be a threat and although Ferrari has improved, to believe they can challenge Merc would be foolish at this point. That only leaves scope for McLaren, because no one knows where they are. If they turn out to be WHAT THEY ARE CLAIMING, then they can be a threat, but with LOADS OF INEXPERIENCE (:!:) on their power unit.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 08 Mar 2015, 08:33, edited 5 times in total.

GPR-A duplicate2

Moose wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:I will take a Rosberg win and Hamilton DNF... that should be OK.. I know it won't damage the title fight. :mrgreen:
It didn't last year, that's for sure.
If not, the championship fight may not even exist.

cherok1212

I'm most interested in the Verstappen Sainz tussle. Toro Rosso is a decent ride and both have a name to defend. I think HAM gives up P1 for a better set of tires at the beginning of races. Don't roach 'em just to get pole save 'em for the opening stint then release the dogs on the new rubber after the first stop.
If consistently being 7/10ths faster than you is a "mind game", then yes Jenson, Lewis was playing "games" with you.

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Hail22

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

ME4ME

6 days, 21 hours and 18 minutes untill "lights out and away we go" :D

NathanOlder

I think at this point Mclaren are the only ones who can stop the mighty Mercedes team.

Simply because we don't know how fast Mclaren are. I have no faith in Mclaren to get it right, but if I had to bet on a team beating Mercedes, it would be the guys from Woking, because we already know Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams are already beaten :)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

aral
aral

looks as if they could not even afford covers with their correct name on them!

turbof1

I think the name is actually correct. If I am not mistaken, a team needs to keep roughly the same name, else they'll forfit their price money of the previous year. This was also why Sauber kept the name of "BMW Sauber" for a long period, before finally settling things with the commercial rights holder.
#AeroFrodo

Juzh

NathanOlder wrote:I think at this point Mclaren are the only ones who can stop the mighty Mercedes team.

Simply because we don't know how fast Mclaren are. I have no faith in Mclaren to get it right, but if I had to bet on a team beating Mercedes, it would be the guys from Woking, because we already know Ferrari, Red Bull and Williams are already beaten :)
That's not logical at all. Let's refrain from speculating like that.

f1316
f1316

Nobody's already beaten - a wheel hasn't even been turned yet.

Mercedes is likely to have a significant gap to the rest, but even then, nothing is certain; I still maintain we have virtually no firm idea how the tyres will behave in representative conditions .

Also there was an interesting quote from de la rosa saying Ferrari hadn't shown their full potential and had been running different fuel loads. Not sure if I believe it but hope it's true :)

aral
aral

turbof1 wrote:I think the name is actually correct. If I am not mistaken, a team needs to keep roughly the same name, else they'll forfit their price money of the previous year. This was also why Sauber kept the name of "BMW Sauber" for a long period, before finally settling things with the commercial rights holder.
check with the fia entry list. the team is officially entered as manor f1, but will be running using the name manor -marussia, purely so that they can legally receive the loot won from last year. they will be applying for an official name change which will need the approval of all other teams. marussia as an entity (sponsor or team) no longer exist.

turbof1

gilgen wrote:
turbof1 wrote:I think the name is actually correct. If I am not mistaken, a team needs to keep roughly the same name, else they'll forfit their price money of the previous year. This was also why Sauber kept the name of "BMW Sauber" for a long period, before finally settling things with the commercial rights holder.
check with the fia entry list. the team is officially entered as manor f1, but will be running using the name manor -marussia, purely so that they can legally receive the loot won from last year. they will be applying for an official name change which will need the approval of all other teams. marussia as an entity (sponsor or team) no longer exist.
Which means they might be better off running the old logo's for now, to avoid confusion. When the times comes, they'll change the name and the branding on all their equipment and materials.
#AeroFrodo