2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
pob

Re: 2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

WaikeCU wrote:Verstappen has shown in F3 how good he is in wet weather conditions. I think he's good, because he has father Jos to learn from. If the Toro Rosso doesn't break down, I believe Verstappen could surprise a few.
I'm sure there was a story that Jos made sure Max was great in the wet by flooding a warehouse and making Max drive his kart in it until he mastered the conditions. I can't find it with my random googling now though :? .

efuloni

pob wrote:
I'm sure there was a story that Jos made sure Max was great in the wet by flooding a warehouse and making Max drive his kart in it until he mastered the conditions. I can't find it with my random googling now though :? .
There's a story like this about Senna. They say he once was leading a kart race as a kid when started to rain. He couldnt drive very well under wet conditions and started lose positions and didnt even finish it. He got extremely upset and decided this could never happen again. So every time it rained he took his kart to drive for hours straigh, until the night falls. If he couldnt go to circuit, he did it in the streets around his house.

Well, it worked to him, we all know. :D

Manoah2u

efuloni wrote:
pob wrote:
There's a story like this about Senna. They say he once was leading a kart race as a kid when started to rain. He couldnt drive very well under wet conditions and started lose positions and didnt even finish it. He got extremely upset and decided this could never happen again. So every time it rained he took his kart to drive for hours straigh, until the night falls. If he couldnt go to circuit, he did it in the streets around his house.

Well, it worked to him, we all know. :D
Ah, an excuse to point at one of my favourite Ayrton Senna vids yet again :mrgreen:

view from the 5:10 mark till the 5:36 mark.

As for Max, i think people need to calm down and give him time. Look at Fernando Alonso; double world champion. Good already at Minardi, but not without mistakes offcourse.

Max should be allowed to learn and improve himself so he can grow into his full form as a F1 racing driver. I think he genuinly has the capacity to become a true 'great'. However, it's more than just that. If you look at his father Jos, there's a certain amount of 'sad' for him; he ruined essentially the possibility of being as good as he really was through his manager Rotthenganger to leave him ending up making decisions that from a management perspective make total reason,
but from a driver and racer's perspective are absolute shame.
There was lots of more in Jos than he achieved.

Compared to Jos though, Max is better able to keep 'in control'. Still, Jos had to experience lots of techinical errors resulting in DNF and driver errors resulting in DNF. His first race unfortunately handed him a DNF. IMHO, eerily reminding of the 'curse' of his father Jos.

It's a shame he didn't get to show his potential after running on mediums and not getting his run on the softs.
I am curious on as to why the engine failed though. Was it really renault's reliability and result of his pitstop heating up?
or could it have been a bit of Max pushing the engine too far?

Very excited for Malaysia for loads of reasons.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

megz

WaikeCU wrote:
Hulkenberg is also great in changing conditions. Proved his worth back in 2010 in Brazil by putting the Williams on pole position on a drying track in Quali and in 2012 he was battling with the front runners before making an error and ruining both Hamilton and his race.
Hulkenberg has proven race craft in the rain and at this very circuit 2006/07 A1GP here was in the rain and he won the race by 40 seconds. Can't find any clips on youtube but he was mighty - it was sad seeing team NZ up the front but getting destroyed by this chap.

WaikeCU

Manoah2u wrote:
Ah, an excuse to point at one of my favourite Ayrton Senna vids yet again :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSZj8v_Dqzk

view from the 5:10 mark till the 5:36 mark.

As for Max, i think people need to calm down and give him time. Look at Fernando Alonso; double world champion. Good already at Minardi, but not without mistakes offcourse.

Max should be allowed to learn and improve himself so he can grow into his full form as a F1 racing driver. I think he genuinly has the capacity to become a true 'great'. However, it's more than just that. If you look at his father Jos, there's a certain amount of 'sad' for him; he ruined essentially the possibility of being as good as he really was through his manager Rotthenganger to leave him ending up making decisions that from a management perspective make total reason,
but from a driver and racer's perspective are absolute shame.
There was lots of more in Jos than he achieved.

Compared to Jos though, Max is better able to keep 'in control'. Still, Jos had to experience lots of techinical errors resulting in DNF and driver errors resulting in DNF. His first race unfortunately handed him a DNF. IMHO, eerily reminding of the 'curse' of his father Jos.

It's a shame he didn't get to show his potential after running on mediums and not getting his run on the softs.
I am curious on as to why the engine failed though. Was it really renault's reliability and result of his pitstop heating up?
or could it have been a bit of Max pushing the engine too far?

Very excited for Malaysia for loads of reasons.
I feel Max is a lot different than his father. Jos used to be the driver that thinks he knows it all better, but in reality he was often at fault. It's still early, but Max looks like a calm and modest kid who just went to his first school day and that's what I like about him. He's focused on the racing part of the job. Jos hasn't driven a lot of great cars: Simtek, Footwork, Arrows, Stewart, Tyrell, Benetton, Minardi. Benetton was the only car that was decent enough. Hopefully Max has a brighter future ahead of him. Anyway I still expect him to make a surprise this weekend.

Vasconia

Toro Rosso could be one of the biggest surprises in Sepang if it rains. Both drivers seem to be very good and they could drive very well under the rain.

This is usually my favourite Tilke track so I am very excited hehe.

Vasconia

ollandos wrote:http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/KUL:9:MY

full wet weekend
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Charlie let them race!!!

SectorOne

Safety car will win this race. They introduced a new car last race and they expect it gives them another 200 points of downforce.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

PlatinumZealot

I really like the atmosphere of the Malaysia race. The track is pretty good too. A good mix of overtaking through the corner and on the straights. It is also a test of man and machine. Guys cars sometimes get some moisture damage in this race.

Anywhoo... Predicting LH44 to walk it. Nico will try to fight back in the seconds stint but will burn out his tyres.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

megz wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
Hulkenberg is also great in changing conditions. Proved his worth back in 2010 in Brazil by putting the Williams on pole position on a drying track in Quali and in 2012 he was battling with the front runners before making an error and ruining both Hamilton and his race.
Hulkenberg has proven race craft in the rain and at this very circuit 2006/07 A1GP here was in the rain and he won the race by 40 seconds. Can't find any clips on youtube but he was mighty - it was sad seeing team NZ up the front but getting destroyed by this chap.
Didn't Perez outshine Hulk in the rain last year?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

Perez is also good in the rain and at this track he was catching up to Alonso in a Sauber.... But Lewis is good in rain Ross Alonso Hulk...... Bottas ect.

So let's wait and see because it might come down to reliability odd conditions in Malaysia rain but also Hot.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

iotar__

- This quickly turned into name my favourite driver so I'll go against the trend and say that Vettel is good in the wet (not Monza other races).
- If you expect rainy excitement prepare yourself instead for a lot of delays and waiting (Suzuka)

djos

2015 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang

It might be easier to name those drivers that are rubbish in the wet.

One things for sure, i wouldn't want a PU with poor driveabililty in the wet!
"In downforce we trust"

Vasconia

Racer X wrote:Perez is also good in the rain and at this track he was catching up to Alonso in a Sauber.... But Lewis is good in rain Ross Alonso Hulk...... Bottas ect.

So let's wait and see because it might come down to reliability odd conditions in Malaysia rain but also Hot.
Ok, lets name who are the best ones. In this case I would mention Alonso, then Hamilton and a little bit behind Nico H. and Vettel among others.

I think Alonso has shown great skills under the rain during many years and different cars. Its true that we dont see true wet races since perhaps Fuji 2007(not a good day for Alonso) but his performance has usually been very good.

Massa has usually been quite mediocre with the great exception of Brazil 2008.