New McLaren 570S First Official Photos Leaked

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
tomislavp4

Re: New McLaren 570S First Official Photos Leaked

With that money I'd rather buy the Cayman GT4 and spend the rest on a few trips to the ring 8)

bdr529

I'v always like the 911 over any other sports car, but this Cayman GT4 would change my mind.
As for the Mclaren 570S , even If I won the lottery I wouldn't buy one,
like Just_a_fan I would rather have the 993 but I'd take a Carrera S instead on the new 911

WaikeCU

Sorry, no disrespect to the Cayman, because I adore the GTS version of it. the GTS probably has one of the best sounding sports car there is on the market, but just like I mentioned with the Audi, Mclaren and Porsche comparison, this is also a mental thing. This is not a 911, but a Cayman. When one says Porsche, you would say 911 and not Cayman. Is the Cayman still a Porsche that one can buy because he/she can afford a Boxster, but not a 911?

SectorOne

Just_a_fan wrote:Nah, the 911 has become a parody of itself these days. Porsche can't figure out how to kill it off although the Cayman GT4 is apparently capable of doing so.
Kill off the most sucessful racing machine ever built? I guess yo bought the myth where they say they have engine in the wrong place.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach

SectorOne wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:Nah, the 911 has become a parody of itself these days. Porsche can't figure out how to kill it off although the Cayman GT4 is apparently capable of doing so.
Kill off the most sucessful racing machine ever built? I guess yo bought the myth where they say they have engine in the wrong place.
Nowadays the weight distribution isn't even that "wrong".

Just_a_fan

The engine is in the wrong place most of the time. Don't forget that it's taken them, what, 40 years to get that configuration to work really well.

Been thinking about the whole "what to have for 150k" question. Decided one of these would be perfect:
http://www.bowlermotorsport.com/portfolio/bowler-exr-s/

Go anywhere you want, as fast as you want. No need to limit yourself to smooth tarmac as with the 911 et al. Pick a road, any road, and go as fast as you dare! Go off road and go faster than you dare! 550bhp supercharged V8 and rally-derived chassis. Proper "man's car". 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

multisync

Just_a_fan wrote:The engine is in the wrong place most of the time. Don't forget that it's taken them, what, 40 years to get that configuration to work really well.

Been thinking about the whole "what to have for 150k" question. Decided one of these would be perfect:
http://www.bowlermotorsport.com/portfolio/bowler-exr-s/
http://www.bowlermotorsport.com/wp-cont ... Banner.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V8uSplGroo
Go anywhere you want, as fast as you want. No need to limit yourself to smooth tarmac as with the 911 et al. Pick a road, any road, and go as fast as you dare! Go off road and go faster than you dare! 550bhp supercharged V8 and rally-derived chassis. Proper "man's car". 8)
footballers car. :oops:

SectorOne

Just_a_fan wrote:The engine is in the wrong place most of the time. Don't forget that it's taken them, what, 40 years to get that configuration to work really well.
So with this inferior engine layout the 935 still managed to rack up this below (just to name a few)

1 - Le Mans win,
6 - 24HDaytona
6 - 12HSebring
3 - 1000kms Nordschleife

Hell the RR layout did pretty well on gravel as well.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Just_a_fan

In the hands of a professional racing driver, the 911 is undoubtedly brilliant. But for the average driver on the average road? Nope, the company had to essentially design around everything that makes it a good racing car to keep it safe for the highway. Back in the day, the 911 was renowned for going backwards through hedges because the engine was in the wrong place for most usage requirements.

Just_a_fan

multisync wrote:
footballers car. :oops:
It's a road-going rally car. How is that a footballer's car? (note the apostrophe)

Does this really look like a footballer's car? This is "all go", not "all show"!

FoxHound

Just_a_fan wrote:In the hands of a professional racing driver, the 911 is undoubtedly brilliant. But for the average driver on the average road? Nope, the company had to essentially design around everything that makes it a good racing car to keep it safe for the highway. Back in the day, the 911 was renowned for going backwards through hedges because the engine was in the wrong place for most usage requirements.
In the real world, a Nissan GTR is about as close as you are going to get for a car that gives you the performance, handling and everyday useability. Some would argue the GTR a better car, but in the end the 1.7 tonnes spoils it in the Porsches favour. .. for me any way.

An interesting point about the 911, is that it has one of the highest customer retentions of any car to have ever gone on sale. This more than anything dispels the myth that these are unpredictable and misbehaved handling cars.
It kept Porsche alive in their Pre boxster years, and it's the probably the most profitable model line in automotive history. Why would Porsche want to kill this?

Regardless of the above, it remains a weapon to savour and be respected.
Lest we forget... Mclaren have now entered the "911" class.
JET set

Just_a_fan

I believe the Cayenne is now, or at least was a few years ago, Porsche's big money maker. The 911 is a cult car, that's for sure, and I would quite like to have something like a 993 "just because". The Turbo is now getting seriously collectible so prices have risen hugely which is annoying.

Another vehicle I'd quite like "just because" is a 1971 Series IIA Land Rover. Just because. :lol:

It's funny how the sector the McLaren is in is called the "911 sector". I guess because it's been around so long... :wink:

SectorOne

Just_a_fan wrote:In the hands of a professional racing driver, the 911 is undoubtedly brilliant. But for the average driver on the average road? Nope, the company had to essentially design around everything that makes it a good racing car to keep it safe for the highway. Back in the day, the 911 was renowned for going backwards through hedges because the engine was in the wrong place for most usage requirements.
Ah ok, i thought you were talking about the racetrack, where every manufacturer performs to the best of their abilities to see who´s got the best package.
Just_a_fan wrote:I believe the Cayenne is now, or at least was a few years ago, Porsche's big money maker.
Yea the SUV´s are money makers for manufacturers. Now Porsche has the Macan as well.
Just_a_fan wrote:It's funny how the sector the McLaren is in is called the "911 sector". I guess because it's been around so long... :wink:
It´s because it´s the king of the class. It´s the benchmark at which all other cars are measured against.

No different then the M5-class, M3-class, Golf-class etc. They are all the yardstick.
Some of them even created the class.

FoxHound

Just_a_fan wrote:I believe the Cayenne is now, or at least was a few years ago, Porsche's big money maker. The 911 is a cult car, that's for sure, and I would quite like to have something like a 993 "just because". The Turbo is now getting seriously collectible so prices have risen hugely which is annoying.

Another vehicle I'd quite like "just because" is a 1971 Series IIA Land Rover. Just because. :lol:

It's funny how the sector the McLaren is in is called the "911 sector". I guess because it's been around so long... :wink:
That the Cayenne makes Porsche money is not questionable. But the 911 is the most profitable car per unit that Porsche produces.
As a series production model, its the most profitable in the world.
Again, why would Porsche want to kill it?
JET set

bdr529

It is true that Porsche makes a large profit on every vehicle sold, It is hard to say which model brought in the most profit/car.
and even though the 911 goes for high dollars, I would assume it's the Cayenne that has the highest profit margin
For every Porsche it sold last year, Volkswagen booked about $23,200 in operating profit, for a margin of 18 percent, according to an annual report it released this morning.
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/20 ... ew-porsche