Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
pgfpro

Re: Ferrari Power Unit

Thanks guys for the input.

Before testing I thought in simple terms if the combustion pressure was higher it would produce more torque, but this is not always the case. Even sometimes when ignition timing is advance the pressure rises and the torque drops. This must have a lot to do with the fuels flame speed, bore size, etc. All testing was done at the same rpm, timing, map, fuel mass, etc.

This got me thinking that the 1/4 mile mph and the dyno max torque is still a great indicator for tuning and not just combustion pressure. I also seen that when the combustion pressure is high it doesn't always mean the exhaust pressure is going to be higher. Some time when combustion pressure is lower the exhaust pressure is higher.

To be clear, in todays F1 engines I'm sure when they say they found a increase in combustion pressure they also are seeing a increase in torque.

There is so much more to this then I thought. Some other thoughts I have but haven't touch on.
Combustion pressure decay.
Flame speed based on rpm and map.
Tuning combustion pressure for x turbine drive pressure at certain rpm.
High rpm A/F tuning for max combustion pressure at max torque.
Low rpm A/F tuning for a lower then max combustion pressure at max torque to also feed turbine drive pressure.
Fuel save mode combustion pressure.
Max power mode combustion pressure.
building the perfect beast

Blackout

Total says all competitors are very exhaust pressure-MGUH biased. Super lean mixtures is the topic http://www.f1i.com/z-flux-rss/lempire-dessence/3/
it is more interesting to run the engine lean (even lose a few horses) to power the MSU-H than exploiting its maximum power ...
http://www.f1i.com/magazine/magazine-fe ... formule-1/

godlameroso

What people seem to forget is that FIA, the old codger, basically the powers that be in F1 are pushing this compounding technology. Normally compounding is done with a turbine feeding a turbine, or with a turbine geared to the crank. Well this is the new age so we have to make it electronic. Through all the restrictions and forced box ways of thinking, the MGU-H is potentially the most powerful device on the car, because it's literally unlimited. Why no one talks about it shows how little we know about generating electricity. Yes a DC generator is pretty simple, but it's potentially free energy, and as Mercedes and Ferrari have shown, if you're smart about using it, it gives you a HUGE advantage. We're educated folk, we know improving efficiency by 2% is a HUGE advantage, if you develop the MGU-H you can gain that, and they're basically saying here throw money at your hearts conetent. This money pit will lead you to greatness, and only the smart seem to think it proper to follow this route.
Saishū kōnā

Mclarettino

wuzak just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Are you surprised that not everyone in following the split turbo compressor route? Does nt it give many advantages over the "normal" route that Ferrari and Renault are following.

Meaning that Mercedes and Honda have a fundamental design advantage that will get "baked in" as the number of development tokens get fewer each season and reach a point where there are too few for Ferrari and Renault to switch from a normal to split design.

Was surprised Ferrari and Renault did not change to the split design for the start of last season. And am really, really surprised it seems they are still not changing it for this season.

gruntguru

pgfpro wrote:Before testing I thought in simple terms if the combustion pressure was higher it would produce more torque, but this is not always the case. Even sometimes when ignition timing is advance the pressure rises and the torque drops. This must have a lot to do with the fuels flame speed, bore size, etc. All testing was done at the same rpm, timing, map, fuel mass, etc.
Advancing ignition timing will increase the pressure prior to TDC where it does negative work on the piston. This negative work must be subtaracted from any gains obtained from the higher peak pressure occuring after TDC.
je suis charlie

pgfpro

gruntguru wrote:
pgfpro wrote:Before testing I thought in simple terms if the combustion pressure was higher it would produce more torque, but this is not always the case. Even sometimes when ignition timing is advance the pressure rises and the torque drops. This must have a lot to do with the fuels flame speed, bore size, etc. All testing was done at the same rpm, timing, map, fuel mass, etc.
Advancing ignition timing will increase the pressure prior to TDC where it does negative work on the piston. This negative work must be subtaracted from any gains obtained from the higher peak pressure occuring after TDC.
Grunt this is where I was going with this thank you. Also I would like to add even when advancing ignition timing there will be a point where cylinder pressure % increases at a much faster rate then torque % before torque starts declining.
building the perfect beast

PlatinumZealot

Multiple sparks are allowed right?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Brian Coat

As long as the multiple <= 5

gandharva

- enlarged and split intercooler
- MGUK moved to left bank
- redesigned oil tank (lower and wider)
- variable lenght intake

http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrar ... it-672469/
Last edited by gandharva on 10 Feb 2016, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mangalhit

it's the MGU-K that will be moved to the left bank I believe.

Fer.Fan

In English:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... ul-672601/

Forza Ferrari =D> =D> =D>

Lets hope they can challenge Mercedes [-o< [-o< [-o<

seezung

chip engineer

Big Mangalhit wrote:it's the MGU-K that will be moved to the left bank I believe.
So from the picture it appears that the MGU-K has changed from driving the crankshaft at the rear of the engine to driving the front. While this may improve weight balance, it would seem to have the disadvantage of requiring the crankshaft to handle a lot of additional torque.
It would seem that almost the same weight balance could be achieved by keeping the MGU-K on the side of the engine, but still driving the rear.
Does anyone know if this picture is accurate in this detail?

ME4ME

I think the reason for moving the MGU-K is more likely aerodynamics than weight distribution. They probably want to tighten up the rear "coke bottle" shape even further. Additionally there might be a slight weight saving and efficientcy increase from shortening power cords.

olefud

chip engineer wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:it's the MGU-K that will be moved to the left bank I believe.
So from the picture it appears that the MGU-K has changed from driving the crankshaft at the rear of the engine to driving the front. While this may improve weight balance, it would seem to have the disadvantage of requiring the crankshaft to handle a lot of additional torque.
It would seem that almost the same weight balance could be achieved by keeping the MGU-K on the side of the engine, but still driving the rear.
Does anyone know if this picture is accurate in this detail?
What gets to the crank is varying/reversing torque. The preload may be helpful in this regard.