Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
hUirEYExbN

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Mr.G wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 09:18
Just look at the diagram at the end of technical regulations...
EDIT:
- APPENDIX 3: POWER UNIT ENERGY FLOW
- https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... -03-05.pdf
It doesn't leave much for interpretation.

subcritical71

I just mentioned this paper I stumbled upon in the Honda PU thread, it was co-contributed by a Ferrari Power Unit and Control Strategies group member. Its more about gearshift strategies but gives a lot of light to the different considerations that are taken when establishing the overall energy strategy. Many of the topics covered in the various PU threads.
Our results show that the energy consumption budgets not only influence the fuel mass flow and electric boosting operation, but also the gearshift strategy and the low-level engine operation, e.g., the intake manifold pressure evolution, the air-to-fuel ratio or the turbine waste-gate position.
I thought some of you may be interested in taking a look...

FDD
FDD

"In terms of performance, let's expect a small leap in the power unit: it seems that after the bench tests a new engine oil has been approved that will be used in Italy GP."

godlameroso

Avocado oil! :D
Saishū kōnā

Xwang

FDD wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 15:08
"In terms of performance, let's expect a small leap in the power unit: it seems that after the bench tests a new engine oil has been approved that will be used in Italy GP."
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that only a specification of gasoline and oil is admitted from this year by the rules. Did Italian F1 journalists report another fake news when they spoke bout that new rule?
I'm still learning English so please excuse me if my English is not good enough and feel free to correct me via PM if you want.

FDD
FDD

Xwang wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 16:39
FDD wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I remember that only a specification of gasoline and oil is admitted from this year by the rules. Did Italian F1 journalists report another fake news when they spoke bout that new rule?
I am not 100% sure, but I think new specs are allowed.

nemanja

FDD wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 20:09
Xwang wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 16:39
FDD wrote:
I am not 100% sure, but I think new specs are allowed.
You are allowed one oil upgrade through the season.
They will have to use that oil until the end of 2021.

DoctorRadio

The new engine oil has disappeared from motorsport.it; they will use a more aggressive mapping for the PU.

ispano6

godlameroso wrote:
13 Apr 2021, 16:32
Fish(y) oil ;)

edit: hah, down votes from a touchy person.
Last edited by ispano6 on 16 Apr 2021, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

ispano6 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
Fish(y) oil ;)
What type of fish? Because oil from polar latitude fish would be unsuitable, it would have to be equatorial fish, or some sort of volcanic type of mollusk.
Saishū kōnā

ispano6

godlameroso wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 23:54
ispano6 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 21:36
godlameroso wrote:
Fish(y) oil ;)
What type of fish? Because oil from polar latitude fish would be unsuitable, it would have to be equatorial fish, or some sort of volcanic type of mollusk.
Salmon oil and sardine oil can be used to make biodisel. Anchovy oil as well but I would prefer it as vietnamese dipping sauce. Sesame oil too has been looked at as biodiesel. Ferrari's engine smelled like a kerosene camp fire lamp, it was kind of bizarre, but it would be funny if it smelled like a vietnamese or chinese restaurant ;)

PlatinumZealot

Kerosene smell could be some high density medium-chain hydrocarbon (of consistent chain lengths) to promote more unifrom combustion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 22:49
Kerosene smell could be some high density medium-chain hydrocarbon (of consistent chain lengths) to promote more unifrom combustion.
Butylene is better, that upper cylinder lubricant stuff burns clean too.
Saishū kōnā

blinds0r

It can be car filtering through the legit sources and the garbage, and I thought this would be a good place to ask. Obviously it's hard to know for sure, but has it been confirmed that Ferrari did NOT introduce the split turbo design this year, with the plans to introduce it for 2022 right before the freeze?

F1NAC

blinds0r wrote:
18 May 2021, 23:59
It can be car filtering through the legit sources and the garbage, and I thought this would be a good place to ask. Obviously it's hard to know for sure, but has it been confirmed that Ferrari did NOT introduce the split turbo design this year, with the plans to introduce it for 2022 right before the freeze?
Go couple of pages back, there were just rumors generated from media that Ferrari will have split turbo. Nothing officialy from Ferrari came out regarding split turbo layout.

Here is the picture with cover off. You can see that airduct is still going towards rear (compressor inlet)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ewc_6sfWQAQbXVj?format=jpg