Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

saviour stivala wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 10:59
8 months ago Gary Anderson on ‘the race podcast’ expressed his first impressions of the ‘superfast’ project, specifically the news that FERRARI decided not to switch to the ‘split-turbo’ philosophy. ‘’Obviously they must have found something that allows it to run even better or solved some problems with the current one. Which perhaps does not work at its best. But I don’t understand the principle behind the decision not to switch to the ‘split-turbo’ philosophy. Having the compressor at the front and the turbine in the rear, therefore separated, allows you to better manage the temperatures, in setting between the turbine and compressor, the MGU-H. I am surprised that FERRARI has not taken this path’’.
Do you consider Gary Anderson to be a reliable source?

saviour stivala

While everybody is free to agree or disagree with opinion/s expressed by those considered as experts invited and taking part in a ‘podcast’, He-Gary Anderson was expressing his personal opinion about a subject (FERRARI having decided not to go for a split-turbo) announced by the-race sometime previously to the said discussion on that podcast.

vorticism

DinkLv wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 04:57
One of Ferrari's MGU-H assemblies between 2016 and 2019. The single intake into the compressor indicates it to be a post-2016 spec since the hot air pipe from the compressor no longer divides the intake into two:

The shaft there will be about the same length as a split turbo shaft. So I take it Mercedes had no special tricks up their sleeve when they introduced it in 2014. All the teams will have had high rpm shafts longer than an engine block.
𓄀

mzso

jumpingfish wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 17:29
ryaan2904 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:52
Anyone else notice this strong electrical noise coming from the Ferrari PU this year? Starts fairly early (unlike 2018 when it came at the end of straights) and increases steadily
I've noticed that as well, quite loud
What does that even mean? Do you guys have a link to it?

timoth

mzso wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:00
jumpingfish wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 17:29
ryaan2904 wrote:
10 Mar 2022, 16:52
Anyone else notice this strong electrical noise coming from the Ferrari PU this year? Starts fairly early (unlike 2018 when it came at the end of straights) and increases steadily
I've noticed that as well, quite loud
What does that even mean? Do you guys have a link to it?

You can see it on the haas onboard too (later in the video)

mzso

timoth wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 00:07
You can see it on the haas onboard too (later in the video)
All I can hear is that the audio is crap compared to the rest. I hear the straight cut gears and perhaps the engine sound butchered, that seems to be missing most of its spectrum.
The Alfa with Bottas sounds normal.

jz11

there is a high pitch noise, and Mercedes had similar noise all these years, it could be simply related to where the FIA camera/mic is given its power from, too many things can make this electric noise show up in the recording to draw any meaningful conclusions

mzso

jz11 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 13:46
there is a high pitch noise, and Mercedes had similar noise all these years, it could be simply related to where the FIA camera/mic is given its power from, too many things can make this electric noise show up in the recording to draw any meaningful conclusions
Well, the only hight pitch noise I hear are the gears that change pitch with every gear shift.

jz11

can be gearbox, and mounting placement could be reason why we hear it some cars and not on others, all of them run very similar gearboxes that, because of performance convergence in the design, would be very similar on all cars, so the noise would be heard on all onboards, but there are very significant differences in how loud it is

can also be electrical, due to noisy power supply, wasn't uncommon to hear this exact same noise on old cars with badly installed aftermarket radios and amplifiers, the noise would follow engine rpm exactly, and there were no straight cut gears in those cars...

I also kind of recall hearing it on some f1 cars in this hybrid era and it wouldn't exactly follow engine rpm, which I assume could be due to noise from the MGU-H electrics/electronics

anyway, I don't see point of looking into this further, many many unknown variables to make any sort of educated guess out of it

mzso

jz11 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 18:00
can be gearbox, and mounting placement could be reason why we hear it some cars and not on others, all of them run very similar gearboxes that, because of performance convergence in the design, would be very similar on all cars, so the noise would be heard on all onboards, but there are very significant differences in how loud it is

can also be electrical, due to noisy power supply, wasn't uncommon to hear this exact same noise on old cars with badly installed aftermarket radios and amplifiers, the noise would follow engine rpm exactly, and there were no straight cut gears in those cars...

I also kind of recall hearing it on some f1 cars in this hybrid era and it wouldn't exactly follow engine rpm, which I assume could be due to noise from the MGU-H electrics/electronics

anyway, I don't see point of looking into this further, many many unknown variables to make any sort of educated guess out of it
Not sure what you think of as "electric noise", since there's no such thing. And an F1 car doesn't have an entertainment system, and even if it would, the engine certainly would utterly wash it away.

In F1 on-board videos the sound of the straight cut gears of the Renault was notably only heard in only one of the audio channels (right I believe) and all the other sounds in the other. You can check them out to see if it's the sound you hear.
Last edited by mzso on 13 Mar 2022, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

jz11

by electric noise I mean EMI generated by MGU-H and MGU-K and electronics that run it, and the audio system in the car is the camera and its mic that we listen to, that noise is present in drivers communications as well, and I don't think that is audio noise carried by air to the mic

Zynerji

jz11 wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 19:31
by electric noise I mean EMI generated by MGU-H and MGU-K and electronics that run it, and the audio system in the car is the camera and its mic that we listen to, that noise is present in drivers communications as well, and I don't think that is audio noise carried by air to the mic
I hear the electric whine as well.

timoth

https://www.formu1a.uno/la-ferrari-f1-7 ... n-bahrain/

"The PU was only slightly used in a higher mode by Haas and Alfa Romeo, not Ferrari. Not surprisingly, Mercedes and Honda are said to be quite worried about the new PU. The track has to confirm that"

gruntguru

DinkLv wrote:
12 Mar 2022, 04:57
One of Ferrari's MGU-H assemblies between 2016 and 2019. The single intake into the compressor indicates it to be a post-2016 spec since the hot air pipe from the compressor no longer divides the intake into two:

https://i.imgur.com/b1NEZDa.jpg
. . and wow! - it has a twin inlet turbine!!
je suis charlie

saviour stivala

Good and clear photo of one of FERRARI MGU-H assemblies clearly showing that waste-gate is not part of this assembly but part of the exhaust piping.