Time Attack

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

Re: Time Attack

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Oct 2018, 14:04
gixxer_drew wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 02:12
Also on your earlier post about the smaller diffuser on MCA. The diffuser was "stalled" when we started work on the car. The spoiler addition in 2016 made a lot more rear downforce and reduced drag but did so even with producing some lift on top of the rear diffuser overhang.

Originally we designed the spoiler and shorter rear diffuser together for 2016 but only the spoiler was completed in time for 2016 event.
Very interesting stuff!

Is there a good reason the MCA team uses a S13 Nissan Silvia and not a S13 180SX? I would guessed the shallower C-pillar angle of the 180 would be a better base for time attack platform...? :wink:
We got involved once the car had already been built and asked to help them sort out the aero. A press release on that here: http://www.amb-aero.com/mca_s13_amb_aero/

So those decisions were made before we had any involvement. I prefer smaller cars these days. From about 3 years ago we shifted focus for time attack cars to efficient production as I felt it was the low hanging fruit now and downforce could be whatever the tires tolerate or drag allows for.

DiogoBrand

Is there somewhere I can read about the design of more time attack cars? I'm not very familiar with the competition, but seeing as it is a relatively free regulation, road car based series, it seems really interesting. I remember watching this video a while back and it's quite impressive.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

DiogoBrand wrote:
25 Oct 2018, 03:51
Is there somewhere I can read about the design of more time attack cars? I'm not very familiar with the competition, but seeing as it is a relatively free regulation, road car based series, it seems really interesting. I remember watching this video a while back and it's quite impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZIkFSz0iI
Yes, this car is definitely interesting! The front end solution is clever. Blowing through the nose instead of flowing around it. To mimic having a wing span across most of the front of the car.

Keep in mind just how incredible the lap time the RP968 did (and won this year) is. I think around half a second off the overall track record at Sydney Motorsport Park, which is held by an A1GP car. But done on road legal tires. The engine is a work of art, the suspension is next level. It is a very very cool machine. I think everyone expects more lap time with a bit of refinement. It will be tough for anyone to challenge them in the short term.

The designer of this car is Sammy Diasinos who runs a place called DAS. He used to run an F1 CFD department before moving back to Australia.

DiogoBrand

gixxer_drew wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 03:28
DiogoBrand wrote:

Yes, this car is definitely interesting! The front end solution is clever. Blowing through the nose instead of flowing around it. To mimic having a wing span across most of the front of the car.

Keep in mind just how incredible the lap time the RP968 did (and won this year) is. I think around half a second off the overall track record at Sydney Motorsport Park, which is held by an A1GP car. But done on road legal tires. The engine is a work of art, the suspension is next level. It is a very very cool machine. I think everyone expects more lap time with a bit of refinement. It will be tough for anyone to challenge them in the short term.

The designer of this car is Sammy Diasinos who runs a place called DAS. He used to run an F1 CFD department before moving back to Australia.
Doesn't this car have a whole billet engine, including block and head? I wonder how fast these things would go on slicks.

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

DiogoBrand wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 03:49
gixxer_drew wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 03:28
DiogoBrand wrote:

Doesn't this car have a whole billet engine, including block and head? I wonder how fast these things would go on slicks.

yes, thats correct. This is the first car to have a complete billet block and head. From the specs its really lightweight and FWIW the workshop posted it makes 1000kw..

I have tested the tires they use and the slicks back to back, 100% sure the cars would be significantly quicker on slicks.