Anti German Culture on F1 technical

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
turbof1

Re: Anti German Culture on F1 technical

J0rd4n wrote:
gray41 wrote:Isn't this a anti British thread?
No? Being anti-anti-German doesn't insinuate anti-British?
Darn, you almost uncovered our terrible and dark secret. I have no choice now to reveal this earth-shattering message:

We advocate an Anti- "Anti Global Culture" on F1 Technical. You're welcome.
#AeroFrodo

RZS10

German here - i seriously can't see any "anti culture" against anyone here, maybe "anti what this forum is supposed to be culture" since threads tend to be full of rabid fanboyism and non-technical and unnecessary banter by some people who rarely contribute anything meaningful to the discussions and might be better off trolling the motorsport-total comment sections :lol:

The fact that some might perceive the all present criticism or "bashing" of almost all drivers (and/or teams) as more severe towards certain drivers maybe just shows their own bias ...

Moxie

Hahaha... There will always be people who bash the current world champion in any sport, especially multiple world champions. I am American and in baseball it is common to bash the New York Yankees, not because they are from New York, but because it is the best team money can buy, and they just win too often. Speaking of being American, I dare say Germans are fortunate to have F1 fans bashing them at all. We Americans last had a F1 champion in 1978 with Mario Andretti, and the most recent American driver was Scott Speed...unless you want to include Karun Chandhok whose mother was American. Neither was a superstar. Until the Haas team actually starts a race, Americans have nothing to bash. Fanboyism, and trash talk are part of every sport, it is part of the fun. Don't take it personally, just join in and trash talk the driver of your choice. I recommend that you start with Maldonado, he's easy to trash talk.

Belatti

I have heard a say that the cure for racism is to travel across the world.

Im far from being a racist person but I must admit I was not very fond of North Americans, even if I like some aspects of their culture.

Now, after visiting Miami and California I can see that, even if when you arrive at the airport for the first time they look at you as if you were a probable illegal inmigrant and ask you questions in the mood: "Why are you here for?" then the ordinary people you meet everyday are generally very kind and correct, for my surprise. I came back with a very good impression of North Americans in general.

I think there is not an anti German culture here, just arm-chair enthusiasts that will bash anyone anytime :lol:

For the prejudice matter, you know, go and travel. It works :wink:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

NoDivergence

Belatti wrote:I have heard a say that the cure for racism is to travel across the world.

Im far from being a racist person but I must admit I was not very fond of North Americans, even if I like some aspects of their culture.

Now, after visiting Miami and California I can see that, even if when you arrive at the airport for the first time they look at you as if you were a probable illegal inmigrant and ask you questions in the mood: "Why are you here for?" then the ordinary people you meet everyday are generally very kind and correct, for my surprise. I came back with a very good impression of North Americans in general.

I think there is not an anti German culture here, just arm-chair enthusiasts that will bash anyone anytime :lol:

In California? That's quite shocking. We have diversity here in SFO beyond belief

bdr529

Belatti wrote:I have heard a say that the cure for racism is to travel across the world.

I agree with you on traveling is the best way to open your eyes and mind to the rest of the world.
Just a small point, North America is not just the United States of America. and there is a cultural difference between Americans and Mexicans and Canadians and the other 40+ countries that make up North America

hollus

40+? Is centre-america a Spanish concept not used by USAnians?
In Spain everything between Mexico and Colombia is called "Centroamerica". But even with those I don't bet to 40+? Belatti, how do "local" spanish-speaking countries describe it?
Rivals, not enemies.

dans79

North America, is Canada, United States, & Mexico, everything else is central America or south America.
197 104 103 7

bdr529

Yes we do use the term Central America when describing "everything between Mexico and Colombia"
but those countries are geologically part of North America.

North America consist of 23 Countries (Sovereign states) Canada, USA, Mexico Iceland etc.. And 22 Dependencies/Territories which includes such places as Bermuda,Cayman Islands, Aruba, Green land, both British and American Virgin Islands, etc...
Perhaps I confused you by referring to the Dependencies/Territories as individual countries when I said 40+,
I wouldn't say that I was visiting the Netherlands if i was taking a trip the Caribbean Netherlands or Great Britain if I was going to Bermuda. I think we in Canada just look at those places as separate countries on their own.

natehall

Going on from what was said about if you dislike some culture, visit the country - Well I used to really like the french, until I visited.

As a english student, me and my girlfriend went to Paris and got lost.. We spoke little french but tried our best with the language. However we went to places where we thought there would be people to help - bureu de change, etc.

Out of a couple dozen places we found, and about 4 1/2 hours we found a couple who asked if we wanted to speak english and gave us directions to where we wanted to be (Arc di triumph, we knew our way back from there), and gave us directions.

this put us off the country and ive swore ill never return

FoxHound

natehall wrote:Going on from what was said about if you dislike some culture, visit the country - Well I used to really like the french, until I visited.

As a english student, me and my girlfriend went to Paris and got lost.. We spoke little french but tried our best with the language. However we went to places where we thought there would be people to help - bureu de change, etc.

Out of a couple dozen places we found, and about 4 1/2 hours we found a couple who asked if we wanted to speak english and gave us directions to where we wanted to be (Arc di triumph, we knew our way back from there), and gave us directions.

The South of France is different. A shame if you don't go back, as the south is very laid back and friendly, unlike the north.
JET set

ChrisF1

My time spent in Rennes and Paris have been lovely, and the French have been more than willing to accomodate my poor language skills. They certainly appreciated you more if you attempted to communicate in French before asking if they speak English.

Cycled from Calais to Paris last year and didn't meet a single unpleasant French person, but plenty of unpleasant English people between London and Folkestone!

Facts Only

You will always find bias if you look for bias because by looking you are bias yourself?

Anti-German? No. Anti-Driver? Probably. Its a technical forum which leans towards the cars and ALL of the drivers seem to get a bashing.

I wouldnt say that discussing the fact that Rosberg is getting beaten by Hamilton is Anti-German any more than pointing out that Kimi is getting beaten by Vettel is anti-Finnish.

By the way I rather like Vettel, he's a top bloke from what I have seen and in my (rather to breif) dealings with Michael Schumacher I thought he truly was a great man.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

CBeck113

FoxHound wrote:
natehall wrote:Going on from what was said about if you dislike some culture, visit the country - Well I used to really like the french, until I visited.

The South of France is different. A shame if you don't go back, as the south is very laid back and friendly, unlike the north.
I haven't been to the south yet, but I have to admit that I have never had a problem getting directions in Paris, and am surprised by your statement. My French is extremely limited, but I found two sentences that make most people smile: "je ne parle pas français" and " parlez vous englais?", especially with a strong accent get people talking - they don't seem to like their language being destroyed :mrgreen: . But, just like every big city, not everybody is ready to help, but that has nothing to do with Paris. Btw, I'm American and was traveling with my German wife and German/American son, and even in Dieppe (D-Day landing beach) we were handled very nicely. I have had the same experience in Brussels - managed to find the idiots when asking for directions, but went back and found that the rest weren't that way, and have a great visit, so I would suggest not cementing your opinion from one trip - I've had a bad trip to Paris as well, but won't change my opinion that it is one of the best cities on this planet.

Back on the subject: there's no prejudice here - everyone is an asshole to everyone else :D
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bdr529

Small correction The Raid on Dieppe took place 2 years prior to D-Day, on August 19 1942