2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Samraj_official

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

hopefully they dont destroy it with an ugly cockpit covering!!!!!
btw the car doesnt seem quite dramatic to my eye :?

adrianjordan

Red Bull proposals...but rendered as a Merc...I find that quite funny..!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally, I've thought there is a chassis evolution that can be made on the present chassis regulations.

Front Wing/Nose: Leave as it is for the wing, but clean up the cascade elements to reduce their impact and limit the 'Gillette Mach Fusion' evolution with the front wing being limited to 5 elements. As for the nose, bring it back to 2014 regulations but tidy the wording up so that the thumb elements/look is gone. As for nose height, again 2014 heights for safety, but those will yield performance.

Rear Wing/Diffuser: Leave the height of the wing the same, but bring them back to 2008 widths to make them more aggressive looking. Also bring back the beam wing with a standard central section either side of the crash structure. Diffuser height will be raised to the 2009 175mm height (i think) but ban gurneys around the upper side of the diffuser. Also start the diffuser earlier on the underside.

Suspension/Tyres: Make the front tyres 300mm wide and the rear tyres 400mm wide, also make the rims 15 inches in diameter. This should be the best mid way to increase mechanical grip and speeds. As for suspension, Id consider allowing the teams to interlink again, but not front to rear, only left to right side for better roll control, however if they wish to do so, they must do it with a no more than 5bar pressure.

Electronics: Standardise electronics for all engines, make sure all teams have the same access to the same toys, how id do this is by limiting the rotaries/buttons on the steering wheel and also limiting the amount of active sensors when a car is on track.

Engine: Leave as the same, however tweak the token system to allow slower power units to catch up, but also allow in season development and a good amount of out of season development as well. The noise I'm happy with as it is bringing more of a family audience to races these days.

Others: BAN tyre blankets, also ban tyre pressure sensors and also tyre wear sensors. Drivers need to call their own tyre strategies on what their 'feel' is telling them. Also all cars must start the race with no lower than the prescribed pressure by the tyre manufacturer, they can start higher if they wish, but no lower than the tyre manufacturers lowest PSI.

I think this would bring back the lower teams into the mix, and also allows a gentle 3-4 second lap time quickening.

Thunder

The 2017 Aero regs have been agreed on, with the direction going to make it harder to overtake, as already feared by many People..... :wtf:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-2 ... d-symonds/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

miqi23
miqi23

I am speechless :lol:

They promise people to improve the show by making changes to the rules and in the end they say 'Oh btw, that overtaking problem which every one has been talking about is still going to exist'. [-o<

mahinderlasmibal
mahinderlasmibal

Hopefully they will bring back the lower positioned aggressive looking rear wings, it is a shame that f1-cars of today are sporting such hideous tall RW's

turbof1

Thunders wrote:The 2017 Aero regs have been agreed on, with the direction going to make it harder to overtake, as already feared by many People..... :wtf:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/new-2 ... d-symonds/
I very much dislike the bigger wings, aesthetically. Although I did got used to it during the 2009-2013 era, it was an inmediate improvement last year. Now we probably face even bigger front wings then 2009-2013... .

It might not necessarily make overtaking more difficult. Well the aero changes will by all means, but the bigger tyres might deliver percentage wise a bigger boost in grip which is not dependent on aerodynamics. Let's just hope that's the case.
#AeroFrodo

Thunder

Lets hope Pirelli finds something, because this bit from Symonds worries me:
"In fact I suspect that we're adding a bit more than required, but at the moment Pirelli's estimates of increases of tyre grip are quite low, so we need to push the aero side of things."
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

bauc

So what Symonds says is despite having more wide tires to increase grip we also have more downforce, meaning that the opportunities for overtakes will remain more or less the same as they are now since it will be equally hard to follow another car closely in the corners despite having better traction #-o

*Edit*
Is DRS allowed with 2017 regs?

Thanks.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

So when 2014 rolled around people complained about how slow the cars suddenly were. Fast forward to 2015 and we have proposals to make the cars as fast as they were in 2008/2010 and people are still complaining. Personally I'm thrilled because we will finally once again have spectacular onboard footage (and offboard) that we lost gradually and massively since 2008. If you watch Formula 1 for lots of overtaking and close racing you've come to the wrong place.

wuzak
wuzak

ESPImperium wrote:Personally, I've thought there is a chassis evolution that can be made on the present chassis regulations.

Front Wing/Nose: Leave as it is for the wing, but clean up the cascade elements to reduce their impact and limit the 'Gillette Mach Fusion' evolution with the front wing being limited to 5 elements. As for the nose, bring it back to 2014 regulations but tidy the wording up so that the thumb elements/look is gone. As for nose height, again 2014 heights for safety, but those will yield performance.

Rear Wing/Diffuser: Leave the height of the wing the same, but bring them back to 2008 widths to make them more aggressive looking. Also bring back the beam wing with a standard central section either side of the crash structure. Diffuser height will be raised to the 2009 175mm height (i think) but ban gurneys around the upper side of the diffuser. Also start the diffuser earlier on the underside.

Suspension/Tyres: Make the front tyres 300mm wide and the rear tyres 400mm wide, also make the rims 15 inches in diameter. This should be the best mid way to increase mechanical grip and speeds. As for suspension, Id consider allowing the teams to interlink again, but not front to rear, only left to right side for better roll control, however if they wish to do so, they must do it with a no more than 5bar pressure.

Electronics: Standardise electronics for all engines, make sure all teams have the same access to the same toys, how id do this is by limiting the rotaries/buttons on the steering wheel and also limiting the amount of active sensors when a car is on track.

Engine: Leave as the same, however tweak the token system to allow slower power units to catch up, but also allow in season development and a good amount of out of season development as well. The noise I'm happy with as it is bringing more of a family audience to races these days.

Others: BAN tyre blankets, also ban tyre pressure sensors and also tyre wear sensors. Drivers need to call their own tyre strategies on what their 'feel' is telling them. Also all cars must start the race with no lower than the prescribed pressure by the tyre manufacturer, they can start higher if they wish, but no lower than the tyre manufacturers lowest PSI.

I think this would bring back the lower teams into the mix, and also allows a gentle 3-4 second lap time quickening.
Front Wing: I would narrow this down to 1500mm and simplify the end plate - must lie on a single plane, which can be angled in any direction, but obviously that would reduce the usable wing width.

Rear Wing/Diffuser: I agree that the height of the rear wing is ok, but the width is too narrow and leaves too much of a gap. For the diffuser I would follow the example of GP2 and Indy and have the diffuser start well in front of the rear wheels in order to gain ground effects.

Wing elements: I suggest that the number of elements allowed on the front and rear wings be restricted to 6. These elements can be placed on the front wing, upper rear wing, beam wing or on a position between the beam and upper wing. Thus you could have a 3 element front wing, single elements for upper, middle and beam rear wings. Or three front, two upper and single beam. Or a triple upper rear wing, a single beam wing and two front wing elements.

I'd also like to have rectangular boxes that enclose this wing elements have a total combined cross sectional area. Possibly similar to what it is today, possibly less.

Suspension/Tyres: Keep the front tyre widths as they are, make the rear tyres much wider.

Overall width to be 2150mm.

trinidefender
trinidefender

wuzak wrote:
Front Wing: I would narrow this down to 1500mm and simplify the end plate - must lie on a single plane, which can be angled in any direction, but obviously that would reduce the usable wing width.

Rear Wing/Diffuser: I agree that the height of the rear wing is ok, but the width is too narrow and leaves too much of a gap. For the diffuser I would follow the example of GP2 and Indy and have the diffuser start well in front of the rear wheels in order to gain ground effects.

Wing elements: I suggest that the number of elements allowed on the front and rear wings be restricted to 6. These elements can be placed on the front wing, upper rear wing, beam wing or on a position between the beam and upper wing. Thus you could have a 3 element front wing, single elements for upper, middle and beam rear wings. Or three front, two upper and single beam. Or a triple upper rear wing, a single beam wing and two front wing elements.

I'd also like to have rectangular boxes that enclose this wing elements have a total combined cross sectional area. Possibly similar to what it is today, possibly less.

Suspension/Tyres: Keep the front tyre widths as they are, make the rear tyres much wider.

Overall width to be 2150mm.
You will find yourself in a situation with cars with massive understeer. You can't just make the reads wider and expect there to be enough grip at the front. With a smaller front wing this problem will only get worse at high speeds.

Frankly oversteer cars are fun to watch for the fans, you see them sliding all over the place and the drivers with prodigious car control can have them coming out of corners with the back end out. It is great fun to watch. Watching cars race with understeer is like watching paint dry and trying to drive one is a lesson in frustration. The whole time the driver is just trying to fight understeer into a corner and the car just looks boring going around the track. There is a reason I can have more fun with my rear wheel drive pickup truck than I can with most small econobox front wheel drive cars.

That is one of the reasons that the turbo cars were so fun to watch even during qualifying when there was no overtaking. They were so blisteringly powerful that they really were a case of you better say a prayer every time you put that throttle to the ground.

turbof1

I'd put covers on the front wheels to increase efficiency from the front wing, as well as lowering the front wing (further increasing downforce, while keeping in mind that lowering them too much will eventually choke the airflow.). I think that will allow to keep the current wings.

I'm now hearing some people think: "covers on the front wheels? In Formula One? Blasphemy!" Well, in all honesty: I'd much rather have wheel covers then oversized front wings.
#AeroFrodo

krisfx
krisfx

mahinderlasmibal wrote:Hopefully they will bring back the lower positioned aggressive looking rear wings, it is a shame that f1-cars of today are sporting such hideous tall RW's

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e9cfaf3079c ... o1_540.jpg
The reason they apparently raised the rear wings is to reduce their wake impact on following cars, so lowering them again seems pretty counter productive to go back to them, regardless of how they look.

Edit: Engineers don't care how hideous the car is, either.

livinglikethathuh
livinglikethathuh

[OT]
Above picture is my new background.
[/OT]

Turbo, front wheel covers may create more problems than they solve, they'll increase weight and be a source of aeroelastic vibrations/movement. They reason they work in Formula E is because FE cars are far more energy limited (putting drag at a premium) and their front wings are simpler, making it easier to support the weight at the wingtips.