2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Juzh

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

Is the neutral section within the front wing staying the same length/dimensions, or is getting proportionally increased relative to the overall wing increase?

henry

Juzh wrote:Is the neutral section within the front wing staying the same length/dimensions, or is getting proportionally increased relative to the overall wing increase?
The neutral section is IDENTICAL. That is it doesn't reach forward to the new pointy front. Seems like an error in the regs but we've seen how these sort of errors sometimes have consequences.

Edit: there was some discussion of this earlier in the thread. http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ng#p644071
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

godlameroso

bhall II wrote:
godlameroso wrote:This year the front wing is 800mm...
825mm

http://cdn-8.motorsport.com/images/mgl/ ... t-view.jpg
So 34 mm assuming zero offset, of course most run some positive offset.
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

Is it track width or wheel width stated in the regulations? All illustrations indicate 2m will be the outside of the tyres which is what I assumed would be the case. In that case then, right now there is 75mm tyre outside the wing and 170mm inside, next year that will be 100mm outside/205mm inside. They both go up 30mm but proportionally more to the outside.

godlameroso

Regulations state
3.3 Overall width :
The overall width of the car, excluding tyres, must not exceed 2000mm with the steered wheels in the straight ahead position.

Which can only mean the measurement is done at the hub.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

I think the changes will improve the show. A more physical car to drive will mean that some drivers will perform better than others physically. With later braking, and higher cornering speeds, drivers will deeper limits to explore and this opens up a bigger difference with a good driver and a great driver. We will see more mistakes, and i think more decisive racing.
I stress more decisive and not closer. Close racing is actually boring if there is no tussling, late braking or position changes taking place. I think we should get more balls to the wall stuff next year.
For Sure!!

joseff

godlameroso wrote:Regulations state
3.3 Overall width :
The overall width of the car, excluding tyres, must not exceed 2000mm with the steered wheels in the straight ahead position.
I think it means width at wheel rims

godlameroso

joseff wrote:
godlameroso wrote:Regulations state
3.3 Overall width :
I think it means width at wheel rims
Yes the center of the wheel where it mounts on the hub.
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

The hubs poke out almost past the wheels anyway, so it's not going to be the true track width which is centre to centre of the tyres.

wuzak

FPV GTHO wrote:The hubs poke out almost past the wheels anyway, so it's not going to be the true track width which is centre to centre of the tyres.
It is defined as the overall width, not "track width".

And, no, the wheel hubs don't extend past the rims, especially not at the rear.

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/hub.jpg

henry

Because they run with positive camber the measurement point will be the lowest point on the wheel rim.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

mclaren111

Will explain most things

godlameroso

The first picture shows track width 2m the rest are measuring at the edge of the tire. Which one is right?
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

The first one looks to be indicating the floor width but calling it track width.

2009-2013 we had 1.8m front wings and 1.8m suspension width, but the tyres were tucked in behind the wing. I'm confident the overall width will be no more than 2m next year

wuzak

godlameroso wrote:The first picture shows track width 2m the rest are measuring at the edge of the tire. Which one is right?
Neither. Track width is not defined in the regulations.

And the overall width is measured without tyres.