Renault RS16 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Re: Renault 2016 car Speculation Thread

I think it will be a transition car. Probably conservative in terms of design, but making more of the Merc power in the back than this years' car did. Probably will fight more with Force India.

We'll see the real Renault car in 2017.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Stalker1

I agree with Threep ja ME4ME. Lack of money, late switch to Renault PU and transition period from private team to factory team- that all is going to have a significant effect on the teams performance. I believe, they will start focusing solely on the 2017 car quite early, maybe even in June,July.

The PU unit switch will considerably affect the rear part of the car and maybe also the center of gravity. Redesigning is probably already underway.

wuzak

Stalker1 wrote:I agree with Threep ja ME4ME. Lack of money, late switch to Renault PU and transition period from private team to factory team- that all is going to have a significant effect on the teams performance. I believe, they will start focusing solely on the 2017 car quite early, maybe even in June,July.

The PU unit switch will considerably affect the rear part of the car and maybe also the center of gravity. Redesigning is probably already underway.
Lotus were already designing for the Renault PU many months ago, and also for the Mercedes PU just in case.

ringo

The car will be as good as it is able to be. The was a team called Brawn in the not too distant past.
They didn't do so badly for a transitional team.
It's just difficult to tell how good a car will be, it's really down to the engineer team and operational structure.
For Sure!!

wuzak

ringo wrote:The car will be as good as it is able to be. The was a team called Brawn in the not too distant past.
It's just difficult to tell how good a car will be, it's really down to the engineer team and operational structure.
Mercedes was once Brawn, not Lotus/Renault.

Before it was called Lotus, it was Renault.

adrianjordan

wuzak wrote:
ringo wrote:The car will be as good as it is able to be. The was a team called Brawn in the not too distant past.
Mercedes was once Brawn, not Lotus/Renault.

Before it was called Lotus, it was Renault.
I think he had a typo. Replace "the was a team" with "there was a team"
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

toraabe

The Renault will be a good car. The engine will as I assume be on pair with the 2015 version of the Ferrari v6 PU

Juzh

Those 2 situations can't possibly be compared.

Gridlock

Honda gave Brawn $100m (GBP?) to go racing in 2009 so yeah, not even close.

ringo

There is still no evidence to suggest that their car will not be competitive.
I can't recall a period where Lotus has made a bad chassis. Most of their issues were in the last two years and those had to do with Power unit, and or the team itself under threat of shutting down which prevented development. This car will be a regular points scorer and may even appear on the podium once in a while now that they are a works team that can can develop throughout the year.
For Sure!!

rscsr

ringo wrote:There is still no evidence to suggest that their car will not be competitive.
I can't recall a period where Lotus has made a bad chassis. Most of their issues were in the last two years and those had to do with Power unit, and or the team itself under threat of shutting down which prevented development. This car will be a regular points scorer and may even appear on the podium once in a while now that they are a works team that can can develop throughout the year.
There have been massive lay offs into 2015 as far as I know at Lotus. And I doubt that there was any real development for 2016 until Renault finally bought them. And as Williams has been shifting focus on 2016 relatively early. So I'd doubt that Renault will be better than 5th next year.

toraabe

They will at least be on pair with Force India, and their Engine will at least gain 80 hp. They have to. If they were at least 80 hp down on Ferrari they were 100 down on Merc. Renault cannot afford that to continue like today. With some former Merc people and Illien with his people in Viry at least Renault and not at least Red Bull will be able to fight for the lead :)

pob

I think the best they can expect is a season like when they bought Benetton in 2001, a smattering of good finshes but usually not fast enough to challenge for the points.

FrukostScones

Meh... Renault using interim Car based on E23 at beginning of 2016?!

native Italians here please confirm...

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Omnicorse.it
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

atlantis

It mentions it is a rumor.