Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
De Jokke

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

To remain positive: it's easier to make a car reliable than fast, so if they had indeed a good winter at HPP (in terms of power), then they can focus on the reliability the next couple of weeks.

Worst case: take an engine penalty in one of the first three races to replace the doubtful specs by more reliable ones. If they have a clear advantage, then they can overcome that without a doubt.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

LM10

The issue was reported to have been an oil pressure anomaly which lead to a precautionary shut off. They will check it and the running is done for today.

De Jokke

17:16 Atoning for the earlier issues that plagued Williams yesterday, Nicholas Latifi is now up to lap #138, which is more than two race distances around here. He's still third on the timing boards.

17:24
145 laps on the board now for Nicholas Latifi. A very decent day for Williams, considering they have backed up that mileage with third place the timesheets.

This shows that it can do it, but that there are still some gremlins lurking around that they need to get under control.
So not all that bad, but one gremlin is of course enough to end a race...
Last edited by De Jokke on 27 Feb 2020, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

De Jokke

Mercedes running over for the day
"We've experienced an oil pressure anomaly, which made the engine shut down as a precautionary measure," report the team.
"We're further investigating the issue; unfortunately, that means our running for today is done."
That means the world champions finish the day with an unusually low tally of just 61 laps completed.

Seems to be always oil related, one of the former problems had also something to do with it. Unless they are downplaying things...

Big Tea

Anyone know how many miles was on the engine concerned? (race weekends)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

De Jokke wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 18:21
"We've experienced an oil pressure anomaly, which made the engine shut down as a precautionary measure," report the team.
"We're further investigating the issue; unfortunately, that means our running for today is done."
That means the world champions finish the day with an unusually low tally of just 61 laps completed.

Seems to be always oil related, one of the former problems had also something to do with it. Unless they are downplaying things...
Well what controls oil pressure? The pumps, the integrity of the oil lines, of the seals, the oil tank itself, and bearing clearance. I guess that's the problem when you push the packaging too extreme, I suppose these failures occur in testing as opposed to during races. I wonder what this could mean for Mercedes?

Will they take 4 power units, or run 3 conservatively? Honda isn't standing still, and more power is expected some time around Canada.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

The new friction readuction coating is causing problems it seems! Thermal cracking?!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Big Tea

godlameroso wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 18:41
De Jokke wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 18:21

Well what controls oil pressure? The pumps, the integrity of the oil lines, of the seals, the oil tank itself, and bearing clearance. I guess that's the problem when you push the packaging too extreme, I suppose these failures occur in testing as opposed to during races. I wonder what this could mean for Mercedes?

Will they take 4 power units, or run 3 conservatively? Honda isn't standing still, and more power is expected some time around Canada.
oil Temperature (too thin/hot breaking down?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

godlameroso wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 18:41
it must be something that didn't happen in the dynos, which they have all in a chassis too

toraabe

But this is what testing is for. They probably knew somehow this would happen regarding their statement some weeks ago.... So hopefully they will sort it out before Australia

etusch

toraabe wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 19:53
But this is what testing is for. They probably knew somehow this would happen regarding their statement some weeks ago.... So hopefully they will sort it out before Australia
They were talking about issues and still there are issues. If it is easy one to solve for sure they will sort it out before first race or at least at second pu. But if it is something harder to correct it will hurt them. We will see...

De Jokke

Hi does anyone know which engines Pinkw10 and Latifi were running today? Latest merc spec or not?

Latifi did 160 laps, that's 2.5 race already. But if you need 7-8 races: 462 - 528 laps is still a long way off.

I wonder (as Cowell talked about winter issues) that they knew this was going to happen and that they kinda expected this but use this second week (after gathering enough data by running detuned last week) as a chance to test the engine in higher modes in order to get it reliable for the future, since now they can test in a real life environment, instead of the dynos. Also, why would Allison be so bullish about the car if they had issues with a detuned engine?

MtthsMlw

The PU will be bulletproof come Melbourne, just like it has always been.

De Jokke

Hmm, they didn't have this the previous years, not this often atleast so it might survive Melbourne, but I don't think it'll manage the first 7-8races without any issues. Hope to be proven wrong though!

ps: I don't like how Claire Williams is acting like an unprofessional goat. Already bitching about Mercedes (while it was super reliable the previous 6years) which is currently the only thing that gives Williams a bit of speed. She should better focus on running the team better or finding a decent successor as she has proven year in year out that she doesn't have what it takes to run a team...

daniellammers

MtthsMlw wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 21:04
The PU will be bulletproof come Melbourne, just like it has always been.
Apart from the beginning of 2014, I have to add. Still the most reliable by far though!
You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built.

- Colin Chapman