Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
siskue2005

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

OO7 wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 04:12
OO7 wrote:
11 Feb 2022, 14:54
If any thing I'd say the exhaust sits high up and flares outwards hence the Aston's wide, rear sidepod bodywork.
Not surprised Mercedes appears to have continued with their 2021 style exhaust manifolds. Using the high, outward flaring concept, would have firmly locked the design of Mercedes powered cars into a single sidepod concept until 2026.
I think the exhaust layout is not locked under engine freeze. The engine ancillary can be changed. Please correct me if i am wrong

michl420
michl420

The different exhaust layout could be true. When you look at the original pic from Mclaren, the engine section is not much wider than the HALO. This "bulge" area is also a hided area in the Mclaren lauch.

AMG.Tzan

All Mercedes powered teams have quite small sidepods! Have they managed to reduce cooling requirements so much or are we in for a season of overheating Mercedes engines??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

N21
N21

AMG.Tzan wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 11:59
All Mercedes powered teams have quite small sidepods! Have they managed to reduce cooling requirements so much or are we in for a season of overheating Mercedes engines??
I noticed that as well. Also the bulge seems to be gone? Did they manage to package everything extremely tightly?

timoth
timoth

AMG.Tzan wrote:
For sure there's an improvement on cooling for any engine manufacturer each year, but the main reason is that Mercedes W13 does a lot of centerline cooling (based on the bulky engine cover in W13), so they need less cooling on the sides. Ferrari on the other hand has the slimmest upper body, but almost all the cooling is on the sidepods and the actual cooling volume on Ferrari sidepods is less than it seems from front or side view. Just look at the massive concave on top of the Ferrari sidepods. Regarding Honda and Renault there is no real image of RedBull and Alpine to compare
Last edited by timoth on 18 Feb 2022, 16:33, edited 2 times in total.

timoth
timoth

N21 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 15:21
AMG.Tzan wrote:
I noticed that as well. Also the bulge seems to be gone? Did they manage to package everything extremely tightly?
The bulge got even bigger. It's obvious on Aston since they don't use centerline cooling like Merc.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Interesting article, Mercedes claiming to have made the most amount of changes to their PU for this seasons since 2014:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/mercedes ... ince-2014/

“For 2022, it has been a wide and deep project, and we have changed more parts of the PU for this year than in any season since 2014,” he said at the launch of Mercedes’ new W13.

“Because it’s been such a significant change, we modified our overall approach to design and development; we started earlier and had more points along the journey, where we could experiment with some of our technologies.

“And it wasn’t a case of spreading the same amount of effort over a longer period, it was about having a very high level of activity over a longer period.”

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

I suspect it’s two fold

1) they had such a good platform to begin with that they haven’t had to bring every R&D weapon to the track and were able to work on it longer.
2) their design is the most mature, so they had to to take change a lot of things to take the next step.
3) #2 feeds back to #1. They were able to spend a long time developing an cohesive design.

PlatinumZealot

AMG.Tzan wrote:
Thanks to the LARs Mercedes has kept the cooling capactiy while still having slendee side pods.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

PlatinumZealot wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:36
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Thanks to the LARs Mercedes has kept the cooling capactiy while still having slendee side pods.
Except Aston Martin, but rumor (for whatever that rumor is worth) was that Dan Fallows didn't like their design when seeing it.

I do believe Mercedes (and Honda) has done a good job in this regard. I am a little concerned for Ferrari, as their and customer cars have larger sidepods.

AeroDynamic

_cerber1

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -v6-turbo/

Wolff said that Ferrari have more power now than Mercedes... I know that he has a history of downplaying Mercedes but he was right in other big stories. Like the powerfull Ferrari engine in 2018-2019 and with the pace advantage of the Red Bull after the last testing day in 2021.

LM10
LM10

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
Except Aston Martin, but rumor (for whatever that rumor is worth) was that Dan Fallows didn't like their design when seeing it.

I do believe Mercedes (and Honda) has done a good job in this regard. I am a little concerned for Ferrari, as their and customer cars have larger sidepods.
The sidepods of Ferrari have much room left to be shrinked, according to Binotto. It was a decision for aerodynamic reasons to have large sidepods - just like almost all other cars, including the Aston Martin with the Mercedes PU.
Also, only the outer part of the sidepod inlets on the Ferrari are for cooling. But no matter how we spin it, the Ferrari is going to have larger sidepods due to it's configuration of having much less centreline cooling anyway, I would say.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

LM10 wrote:
25 Feb 2022, 16:59
Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Feb 2022, 00:46
PlatinumZealot wrote:

The sidepods of Ferrari have much room left to be shrinked, according to Binotto. It was a decision for aerodynamic reasons to have large sidepods - just like almost all other cars, including the Aston Martin with the Mercedes PU.
Also, only the outer part of the sidepod inlets on the Ferrari are for cooling. But no matter how we spin it, the Ferrari is going to have larger sidepods due to it's configuration of having much less centreline cooling anyway, I would say.
I have realized that now since I posted that.

Did anyone get / read the latest copy of the Race Engine Technology? The Audi DTM engine I think gives us some ideas in terms of strategy in managing a fuel flow rate limited, clean sheet design.