Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
vorticism

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

gruntguru wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 23:40
vorticism wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 16:08
Still surprises me that they got away with log manifolds and seemingly no VIM the first season.
VIM was not legal back then.
Outlawed only in 2014? AFAIK they're not mentioned in the regs.
𓄀

gruntguru

"5.9.3 Variable length intake trumpets are forbidden in 2014 only."
Can't find the source document ATM.
je suis charlie

saviour stivala

gruntguru wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 06:49
Yes. As they were allowed again in 2015.

saviour stivala

Kalun wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 13:20
Shell did an excellent job in E10 fuel blend. Seems like they were able to make this generation of renewable e10 fuel burn like a conventional fuel and extract extra performance out of it. While, Esso and BP did an excellent job too, but I assume that Esso fuel is cause some unreliability to RBPT fuel system.

Back to Petronas fuel. Seems like the Mercedes engine struggles with this E10 fuel.

One big difference between Petronas and the rest. Petronas has never sold an E85 fuel, let alone an e5 or e10 fuel to consumers, especially in Malaysia.

This begs a question, do Petronas has an experience to blend a E10 fuel and extra performance out of it? Does an additional 5% of Renewable Ethanol make a huge impact on the last generation of Petronas based fuel blend? Who knows..

We can only speculate. At the end, Petronas needs to get this fuel blend right.
In my opinion – and mine only. It seems that by the extra 5% to the new E10 fuel Mercedes seems to have lost any chemical advantage they might have had.

Tommy Cookers

Big Tea wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 21:55
Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:44
vorticism wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 16:08
... Still surprises me that they got away with log manifolds and seemingly no VIM the first season....
not log manifolds
log manifolds were the thing 100 years ago - just look at that Apperson 'Jackrabbit' !
then look at what was used for the following few decades
yes it would be handy if someone had given it a punchy name
though new British (Ford Consul & Zephyr) designs in the 1950s had log manifolds
Did the ford 100E 'pop' side valve not also?
no
though that (ie looking like an London Underground map) was similarly lacking 'tuned length' effects
(as the early type manifolds compelling the term 'log' by resembling a log clamped to the head)

people expect that TL effects require eg 3 equal length headers ie joined at a common point
but the 2014 Merc system had 3 near-equal length headers joined serially (compact but with smoother bends)
giving (unlike a 'log'-emulator) a substantial (ok sub-optimal but broader) TL effect
with hybrid F1 fuel rate/air rate/recovery environment a TL around high rpm (short headers) could be good

this 'bunch of bananas' ? type was the business for about 50 years
though the TL came by accident and empiricism - and was misunderstood as 'extractor' effect ie entrainment

@ Big Tea
did you have Manx Norton involvement ?
if so I might have a question via PM

Big Tea

Tommy Cookers wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 12:36
Big Tea wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 21:55
Tommy Cookers wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:44

not log manifolds
log manifolds were the thing 100 years ago - just look at that Apperson 'Jackrabbit' !
then look at what was used for the following few decades
yes it would be handy if someone had given it a punchy name
though new British (Ford Consul & Zephyr) designs in the 1950s had log manifolds
Did the ford 100E 'pop' side valve not also?
no
though that (ie looking like an London Underground map) was similarly lacking 'tuned length' effects
(as the early type manifolds compelling the term 'log' by resembling a log clamped to the head)

people expect that TL effects require eg 3 equal length headers ie joined at a common point
but the 2014 Merc system had 3 near-equal length headers joined serially (compact but with smoother bends)
giving (unlike a 'log'-emulator) a substantial (ok sub-optimal but broader) TL effect
with hybrid F1 fuel rate/air rate/recovery environment a TL around high rpm (short headers) could be good

this 'bunch of bananas' ? type was the business for about 50 years
though the TL came by accident and empiricism - and was misunderstood as 'extractor' effect ie entrainment

@ Big Tea
did you have Manx Norton involvement ?
if so I might have a question via PM
Have P.M'd you
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

vorticism

Nomenclature aside, they did run an unequal-length collector while Renault and Ferrari were running equal length headers. Seemingly to no disadvantage, so far ahead were they in other factors. Unless they thought they needed VIM to maximize the benefit of such exhaust packaging, deeming lighter weight and more sidepod space more important. Remember that first seasons, RB had giant heat exhchangers with the snakes packed underneath the intercoolers.
gruntguru wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 06:49
I wonder who spurred that.
𓄀

OO7
OO7

vorticism

Note those intake plenums. I believe this is the 2021 or 2020 engine (below) when the intake changed. They're doing something different with the VIM these past 2-3 seasons.

𓄀

SSScoffee

#racingnews365

Wasn't the fuel homologated?

AR3-GP

SSScoffee wrote:
15 Apr 2022, 16:34
#racingnews365

https://twitter.com/LappedCars/status/1 ... DMV3Xs0tTA

Wasn't the fuel homologated?
Fuel is homologated. But mapping is not.

PlatinumZealot

Im concerend that the engine overheated in Australia. A street track in the cooler part of the afternoon.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 15:57
Im concerend that the engine overheated in Australia. A street track in the cooler part of the afternoon.
Merc historically have run very marginal cooling on their cars (good for qualy and leading). Always caught them out at high altitude. Also, I remember Bottas having a lot of trouble in Monza two or 3 years ago so it's not new.

SSScoffee

PlatinumZealot wrote:
So far, in all 3 races Mercedes PU have suffered from overheating. Maybe the new PU2 has the cooling fixed.

S D

SSScoffee wrote:
17 Apr 2022, 17:45
PlatinumZealot wrote:
So far, in all 3 races Mercedes PU have suffered from overheating. Maybe the new PU2 has the cooling fixed.
I haven't heard that George had heating problems but he had clear air in front. The track cooling as the sun is going down creating long shows on the track, Mercs losing 1 second per lap on the Ferrari, Lewis behind only 1 car and they are concerned about trying to pass 1 car with 3 laps to go.

Could be a cooling issue but if it is it is a serious one. Or possibly code for hold station.