F1Technical 2016 update

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Shrieker

Re: F1Technical 2016 update

When I choose the 'cleartype' font option under display in windows, the site looks fine again using firefox. But this time everything else in windows looks like utter tosh lol. So it's a perplexing conundrum right now. I'd rather keep the standard font option and browse the site with chrome.

One other thing i noticed is that coupled with the cleartype option, compared to chrome, firefox fonts look a tad more elongated , which is nicer.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

horse

Update looks great, but I'm struggling a bit with the fonts as well. The forum doesn't seem as easy to read as it used to be.

Keep up the good work!
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

nevill3

I have just added an extension to chrome that allows you to add your own customized display settings (css)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ated?hl=en

You can alter the display settings to reduce the font size and background colour (anything really if you know what to change.)

I am experimenting as I type and have changed the background colour and font size so far, see the code below.

Code: Select all

body {font-size: 1.2em;
    background-color: #e6e6e6;
}
It still needs a little work but the new font size makes reading the replies easier and the darker background is less straining on my eyes.

The effects can be toggled on and off at will and are site specific too

Edited the code to shrink the font and darken the background only
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

bidong

I noticed an area where an improvement can be made.

When scrolling down through the forums or any page where the heading bar (where F1Technical, the notifications [bell] button, private messages button and username) will reduce to the bar with News, Technology, Database, Photos and Forum bar, the F1Technical logo beside the "News" is not clickable.

There are two possible things you can assign to the F1technical button when clicked: back to main page or back to top of viewed page. I'd prefer the former than the latter personally.

Putting in this feature would improve site navigation and will increase viewing speed like Alonso's six tenths.

Shrieker

I used the new mobile site yesterday for the first time, and I must say it is one of the best mobile sites I have seen, if not the best. It just flies and is very usable in general. Massive thumbs up \:D/
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Steven
Owner

There has been a mention of the quick reply not working all that well yet.
Can someone explain that please?
I haven't found any real issue with it...

djos

Steven wrote:There has been a mention of the quick reply not working all that well yet.
Can someone explain that please?
I haven't found any real issue with it...
It works fine.... when it's present. 8)

It seems to be MIA in many topics tho ... like this one.
"In downforce we trust"

strad

even on my computer, in this thread there is no "quick reply".
Just figured that was the way it was designed. certainly not a big deal.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

While spending time at the Drs , something I do all too often these days, so I thought I would check the site out on my Kindle and see for myself.
Everything works great .. it`s really fast ..it's very clean and clear, I've got all the buttons ... couldn't be better guys!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Steven
Owner

strad wrote:even on my computer, in this thread there is no "quick reply".
Just figured that was the way it was designed. certainly not a big deal.
Well, back in the days, there was a discussion whether we should add quick reply. I believe it was decided back then that we were willing to have it, except in technical threads, where we aimed to discourage quick and short posts.

I would think though that this very forum "Site announcements & support" would not fall into this category ;)

rjsa

Jump to last read post. Wow. Just Wow. =D>

Steven
Owner

A number of fixes were just introduced:

- Larger font size for "Mark posts"
- Pager moved above ad on bottom of forum pages
- Make unread notifications more obvious
- Different icons in user menu
- Fixed blank popups (due to white text on white bg) in "mark topic as read" and others
- Small logo in the static header bar is now clickable to return to homepage
- Move to top of page arrow on bottom right of pages
- Fewer HTTP requests needed by browsers to increase page loading speeds

djos

Good work Steven!

Can we have a clickable quote next please to return to the quoted post?

E.g. In your earlier post relying to strad, you would click on "strad wrote: " to jump back to his post.
"In downforce we trust"

bl4zar_

Is it just me or there is a problem with the login procedure though Tapatalk? Error "You are not logged in ora you do not have the permission to do this action" each time I try.

sjns

bl4zar_ wrote:Is it just me or there is a problem with the login procedure though Tapatalk? Error "You are not logged in ora you do not have the permission to do this action" each time I try.
Same here.