Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

There's wasn't a whole lot Mercedes could have done to make W06 that much better as it was already a phenomenal car. There are some good updates to the sidepods and I'm certain a lot more we're not seeing, but otherwise W07 is as expected. The larger engine intake may be for their now allegedly 900bhp monster which with a smaller intake they just couldn't feed nor keep cool. The benefit of additional power must outweigh the lost cfm around a smaller intake.

Thus far Ferrari seemingly have the most innovative car with their raised gearbox solution. We may see MB turn their engine up to full whack more often to keep them behind as I believe much of the past 2 seasons they haven't had to.

If there were any complaints about W06 I would say it would be that whenever I saw Nico onboard he seemed to always have a bit of understeer....

GPR-A duplicate2

(Open the image through link to see enhanced shot)
Red Circle and yellow are new pieces of body work. The driver's cucoon has shrunk in width. (highlighted in blue lines), hence Intake boxes are now wider.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 21 Feb 2016, 16:21, edited 3 times in total.

kreuzass

ringo wrote:... So the increase in frontal area may actually be smaller than we think.
But there is an increase of area.
Last edited by kreuzass on 21 Feb 2016, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

kreuzass wrote:
ringo wrote:... So the increase in frontal area may actually be smaller than we think.
Yes there is, but it isn't as drastic as it seems.
For Sure!!

giantfan10

proteus wrote:The most interesting thing is that Mercedes has one of the simpliest nose designs and jet the car is good to drive. All other teams trying S ducts, thumb tips, long low noses and are looking all kinds of ways to get air under the nose, but here we have a Mercedes with standard nose (Lotus too last year), still kicking everybodys ass on the track. I know they have the best engine, but still, it would not be any good if the car would be undriveable.
Its all about getting as much air to the back of the car with as much control of it as possible. The fact that the other 3 of the big 4 manufacturers(Ferrari,Red bull and Mclaren) went with another solution which interestingly is almost identical to one another tells me that what the nose looks like is not that important . i'm willing to bet that they all discovered that they could get the amount of airflow they were looking for without the headache of copying and crash testing the Mercedes nose design.

kreuzass

ringo wrote:
kreuzass wrote:
Yes! I think too.

And - sorry - no blown wheels :mrgreen:

Spoutnik

proteus wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:I have the feeling that the new engine will be a monster. Mercedes have no reason to extend the size of the cooling inlet
I think the hybrid part is a monster, since most of the inlet is made for cooling it. I bet they got their biggest gains in heat recovery/electricity department.
Maybe it's for a better qualy mode who knows ? Mercedes have struggled quiet often with the heat the past two years, so if the engine reject more heat, it will be difficult.

But honestly I love this car, so simple but beautiful, and this nose make the charm.

PlatinumZealot

i bet the sidepods are lower for them to notch them like that.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sevach

ringo wrote:
kreuzass wrote:
Keep in mind that it's not just the inlet, the whole thing got wider.

NoDivergence

Who's ready for quali mode the whole race, lol.

bonjon1979

Haven't they just reduced the area of the side pod inlets and transferred more cooling to the air box hence the increase in size? Surely, it's just maths, they've realised that the loss from the rear wing efficiency isn't as big as the gain from the slimmer side pods. I think that it's hard to relate this to some electrical/ice related power increase.

Faustino

Here's a comparison I made up of this year and last years airbox. Loads going on in the new one.

kreuzass

The nosetip is reshaped! It is a little bit less thick...

Noticed after posting: (HELL!)

I loved the aerodynamical detail of the W06. But the new car is so amazing in this aspect. It is much more detailed. Refined.

GPR-A wrote:... hence Intake boxes are now wider.
Good spot. And the opening has moved more towards the rear.

(the pov and angle of the pictures does not fit. not possible to measure something. just useable for a slight comparision.)

atanatizante

1. What`s the purpose of the rake for that huge air-box intake?
2. Is there`s a channel on top of the sidepod edge which resemble me with what Ferrari did in the second part of 2015?
3. And last but not least this year is all about how gets the most efficient PU and in order to do that there are 2 major factors to be involved in : one is combustion chamber and the other is fuel formula, with emphasis on the latter, imho ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus