Mercedes AMG F1 W07

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W07

Can we trust wheelbase?

GTO99

Hard to see details at the bottom of the car with all the extra black paint, but ...
> it seems like there is a huge undercut on the front of the side pods.
> however, the shape of the side pod opening looks the same as W06.
> more turning vanes - now also on top of side pods.
> very slight nose surgery to remove point & make it more blunt.
> fwd rake to air box in side profile - perhaps to capture more air washed up over driver helmet.
> oval air box inlet is huge with 3 distinct sections inside...the intent likely to clean up exterior surface & remove additional side ducts.

kreuzass

timbo wrote:http://s13.postimg.org/jkbkws2if/merc_w07.jpg
Can we trust wheelbase?
Nice but this is the W06!

Here is the blurry proof...

Mr.G

proteus wrote:The most interesting thing is that Mercedes has one of the simpliest nose designs and jet the car is good to drive. All other teams trying S ducts, thumb tips, long low noses and are looking all kinds of ways to get air under the nose, but here we have a Mercedes with standard nose (Lotus too last year), still kicking everybodys ass on the track. I know they have the best engine, but still, it would not be any good if the car would be undriveable.
They wasn't so good when they were behind another car...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

NathanOlder

Can we trust wheelbase?

I've had one of those in a frame for a month or so, I don't think they would put any sensitive info on them when they send them out to people to say thanks for the work.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 21 Feb 2016, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

Mr.G wrote:
proteus wrote:The most interesting thing is that Mercedes has one of the simpliest nose designs and jet the car is good to drive. All other teams trying S ducts, thumb tips, long low noses and are looking all kinds of ways to get air under the nose, but here we have a Mercedes with standard nose (Lotus too last year), still kicking everybodys ass on the track. I know they have the best engine, but still, it would not be any good if the car would be undriveable.
They wasn't so good when they were behind another car...
But they were Soooo good they rarely had to follow another car. 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

kreuzass

Perspective does not fit (2 angles). Not possible to make a 1:1 comparision in scale. Not very enlightening.
(Maybe with editing of the vanishing point. But then it is a bit distorted.)
Last edited by kreuzass on 21 Feb 2016, 22:24, edited 2 times in total.

Mr.G

NathanOlder - I konow :D But it was about stability of steering with "simple" nose design, not about overall performance...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

enry86

Perspective does not fit. Not possible to make a 1:1 comparision in scale. Not very enlightening.[/quote]

http://i.imgur.com/J3jc6AV.jpg

I tried to rectify a bit the perspective, the top view came out slightly distorted, but I think the side view should be ok :)

kreuzass

enry86 wrote:
kreuzass wrote:Perspective does not fit. Not possible to make a 1:1 comparision in scale. Not very enlightening.
http://i.imgur.com/J3jc6AV.jpg

I tried to rectify a bit the perspective, the top view came out slightly distorted, but I think the side view should be ok :)
Yeah but it is not comparable to get approximately measurements to tell if the wheelbase is longer or shorter.

PlatinumZealot

Can we trust wheelbase?
The roll hoop and engine cover says that is the W06.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

henra

Mr.G wrote: They wasn't so good when they were behind another car...
Which indicates that airflow to the nose was very important to downstream aerodynamics. So you could conclude that the nose was not 'primitive', rather the opposite. It was surely an important integral part of the airflow management. My suspicion is that it creates vortices in opposite sense of rotation to and directly adjacent to the Y250 vortex thereby stabilising/energising it.
Disturbing the airflow to the nose might disturb/interrupt the vortices and that again might then disturb the Y250 vortex.

Mr.G

I don't say it's primitive, I just want to point out that they are mostly in front so it is hard to say how it would perform if they run more like in the Ferrari "position"...

Helios

Mr.G wrote:I don't say it's primitive, I just want to point out that they are mostly in front so it is hard to say how it would perform if they run more like in the Ferrari "position"...
You mean the position where you have two cars in front by more than 5 seconds most of the time? :wink:

lombers

Even scarbs has commented that while the noses will always be a talking point, there aren't massive aero or performance gains to be found here. It's really more a case of how the teams want the air to flow around / through / under the nose, hence why we see so many different solutions. But it's certainly not an area of the car that would give you massive advantages.