McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
taperoo2k

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

ringo wrote:Basically a redbull, but it is very aggressive, in the nose and front bulk head design.
Not really a surprise though.
I don't like the black though. Looks like the whole grid will be dark coloured.
Might just be a livery for testing.
Blackout wrote:A surprise? a Red Bull? WTF? no its basically the 'same' 2015 short nose, the same s-duct, the same sidepod and roll hoop general design with only some minor changes (the intakes for example)... it's a light evolution of the 2015 Mclaren design first of all,..
Look at last year pics....
It does have some red bull like elements, which isn't surprise given Peter Prodromou's design influence on the car. Evolution is not a bad thing for McLaren to do they are still going through the process of getting the engineering side back on track (hampered by the power unit woes). You also have to keep in mind that the promo shots of F1 car launches do not necessarily correspond to the car that rolls out onto the track during testing or indeed the first race of the season. And as Prodromou said in this interview the 2016 car is an evolution of last year (said in the middle of last season) - http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/127 ... -prodromou

Alonsofor2017

Look at the nose, very interesting shape there, it's got like curved out things on the sides of the thumbs haven't seen that before

willmesquita

I think the new demands generated by the 2016 engine killed 'size zero' concept. The air box, the coke bottle, the air intakes look bigger.

But if the power compensate, I will buy it!

Let's win!
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

GPR-A duplicate2

willmesquita wrote:I think the new demands generated by the 2016 engine killed 'size zero' concept. The air box, the coke bottle, the air intakes look bigger.

But if the power compensate, I will buy it!

Let's win!
That is exactly what Andy Cowell was telling in an interview. Mercedes see a lot of potential to develop the engine and hence wants a free hand in designing as such. If the chassis had to allow them freedom, it should be that way. Who can argue with Mercedes on that for now. So, if McLaren-Honda looks at a similar philosophy, so be it.

superdowg316

Wouldn't it be funny if what they released tomorrow was something entirely different? :lol: That would make us look foolish! Anyways, until it's released tomorrow, it could be anything. I wonder how that site got those photos in the first place if they are real?
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Joseki

Found on reddit:

Thunder

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda

People saying it looks like a Red Bull or even a Freearo maybe should take a look at the MP4-30. :wink:

Looks like a slight evolution which means they believe their Concept is Sound. I'm a bit dissapointed though that after the FW38 we have the next Car with hardly any visible Changes. Well maybe these Photos are Fake and Ron is just laughing at us right now. :mrgreen:

The RW Endplate looks interesting though, hope we get some better Shots.

Also is it just a reflexion or do the FW Pylons have a Slot now?
Last edited by Thunder on 21 Feb 2016, 09:59, edited 4 times in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

stefan_

I think it's bad that I got to the point where when I saw the car my imeediate thoght was "Dear God, please let the engine run more than two laps without blowing up".

My main concern with this car is the engine. McLaren has all the capability to build a good chassis, but the ball is in Honda's court this year.

Hope that this livery is just for testing.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Thunder

Watch McLaren come out at the announced Telease Time like : " Ohh you liked out 4-30B drawing, well heres the 31 for you.... " :D
#aerogollum

davidsw

The nose is much lower than MP4-30, isn't it?

f1rules

well they gave the Honda PU a lot more room, so lets see what honda can produce. If you go backwards from the head protection, now even being higher, they flow into the engine cover, last year it was a LOT slimmer in this area. What is interesting also, Mclaren seem to guide all airflow out/downwards towards the diffuser edges, where most other teams seem to guide it straight down the sidepods. I expect RB to follow same path as mclaren, since they already did last year

keoxiv

Is it just the angle or there is some hole under the Mobil 1 logo? I mean on the right side of the nose.
Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of $hit so high that you're %ucked up no matter what you do...

Joseki

I think they gave Honda exactly the same space as last year, I don't get why someone say they gave them more space, to me the sidepods are the same if not smaller. :wtf:

Thunder

The Rear Crashbox also looks super low. Guess we'll have a RB'esque double Monkey Seat incoming.

But it still is a bit weird that they would launch only Alonso's Car. I'll wait for McLaren to say something in that matter......
Last edited by Thunder on 21 Feb 2016, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogollum

f1rules

its the center of the car around the low part of the airbox, if you see this pic from last year, the head protection ends

now the head protection, even being higher this year, continues/flows into the engine cover, thats significant more room around the PU
Last edited by f1rules on 21 Feb 2016, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.