McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ME4ME

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda

One of the more interesting parts of the car is the floor around the rear tyres, or lack of floor, so to say.

KingHamilton01

Clear that they have gone with a lot more rake looking at the previous posts, so I believe they are on the right track. People seem upset and disappointed at the lack of clear changes from last year's car. However if there are concepts that they want to pursue then is bringing it to the car for the press release the best idea? Let's wait until second week at Barcelona, pretty sure we will see some changes come.

Plus if someone comes up with an innovative idea once they turn up to testing then normally every team will try and come up with there own version/solution. I like the subtle changes to the car, I like the curves on the nose and the slot in the FW pylons, nice RW endplates to there Red bull inspired imo. Looking forward to seeing what happen's in the test now!
McLaren Mercedes

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't think you can read anything into the rake until it's actually running on track.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

trinidefender
trinidefender

Part 1.

- Starting from the front, the space around the nose tip has been increased. The nose flanking the thumb has been raised to allow more airflow underneath. Definite slot in the front wing support plate, maybe along with the increased space around the thumb McLaren are trying to accelerate airflow more leading toward the turning vanes under the nose.

- The front wing looks like one of the variants they used at the end of last year. I would be a little surprised if this is the wing used used all throughout testing

- Under the nose the turning vanes look similar to what was used at the end of last season. On key difference that I see (that I do no believe is an artefact purely of camera angle etc) is the space between the T-tray and the bottom of the nose. It looks like McLaren made the base of the nose (where the drivers legs are) narrower vertically and continued this resulting in a thinner detachable nose section.

- T-tray looks lower however this is usually not shown in very high detail during car launches as, along with the diffuser, a place the manufacturer wants to keep hidden as long as possible. As such I'll reserve comment there.

- The S-duct looks like it actually starts further forward on the nose than last year, slightly surprising to me as I expected it to move backward toward the large nose angle change. The angle change looks as though it is has increased somewhat, maybe in conjunction with the narrower (vertically) front crash structure/nose, McLaren are trying to maximise the effectiveness of the floor.

- Barge boards keep their curved single profile, can't tell if much change there.

- I believe in some shots the raised lip along the front/side of the floor has the extra flap as used in various forms last year. The lip itself looks longer.

- Sidepods look to have a larger undercut than last year. With a similar total volume and air intakes (very hard to judge from these pics so I can be very wrong about this).

- Head protection has increased due to regulations. Continuing back from this it appears that more area has been allowed in the area between the sidepods and the vertical section behind the roll hoop. Can't tell if this is due to packaging of new Honda or if simply due to relocation of components.

- Roll hoop intake has be shaped slightly differently, looks more round in some shots. Still split with an upper and lower section. New and larger intake below roll hoop. Was a small hole on last seasons car however has been opened up to a significant area now. Thoughts as far as this goes leaves at least a few possibilities:
(I) more airflow to some critical components/areas on the PU that may have not received enough last year (or simply to cope with increased capacity from more powerful components) such as the between the V or the MGU-H.
(II) works in conjunction with the larger space mentioned between the sidepods and vertical section for maybe relocated components.
(III) feeds a relocated cooler.

- Vertical area behind the hoop/air box seem similar shape to the later portions of last seasons car minus the small shark fin that was on the 30 car.

End of part 1.
Last edited by trinidefender on 21 Feb 2016, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

foxivan
foxivan

is it my illusion or the engine seemed to be mounted a bit lower than mp4-30?

a1b2i3r45

New extended brake duct ? or was it there last year ?

Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

a1b2i3r45 wrote:New extended brake duct ? or was it there last year ?

http://i.imgur.com/5dmnPU9.jpg
Yes! That's an new brake duct.

frosty125
frosty125

Thunder

Full Racecar Engineering Article, this Time even with Pictures.
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/mclaren-mp4-31/

Edit: And an Analysis from Giorgio Piola and Matt Somerfield:
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech- ... 31-674728/
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

ummm, they ran the rear wing support through the exhaust pipe?

I realize STR came up with this idea, but it just occurred to me, could they put an exhaust duct in there to do something F-duct related?

domh245
domh245

DarkAlman wrote:ummm, they ran the rear wing support through the exhaust pipe?

I realize STR came up with this idea, but it just occurred to me, could they put an exhaust duct in there to do something F-duct related?
I don't think you would be able to, in the regulations it states:
Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe ...

...All and only the turbine exit exhaust gases must pass through the turbine tailpipe
which I would take to mean that you can't run exhaust gas through a central pylon.

GoranF1
GoranF1

It will be intersting to see if they run monkey seat from the go, last year they didnt want to put any unneeded drag on due to their power deficit.
Monkey seat could the first clue to progress tommorow morning.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Re: Mclaren MP4-31 Honda Speculation Thread

Nathanael F1 wrote:
ferkan wrote:It leaked! Ron must be pissed :lol: Looks like evolution of last years car, which means that one must have been good enough to go further down the road.

BTW is it just me or did they intentionally angle the overhead photo to exaggerate "coke bottle" area? :D Seems like they did when looking at front end of the car and then back end which appears slightly bigger in proportions.
They did the same last year.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... rhead3.jpg
New MP4-31 engine cover looks wider compared to 2015 car. Air inlets are also bigger.

DarkAlman
DarkAlman

domh245 wrote:
DarkAlman wrote:ummm, they ran the rear wing support through the exhaust pipe?

I don't think you would be able to, in the regulations it states:
Engine exhaust systems must have only a single turbine tailpipe ...

...All and only the turbine exit exhaust gases must pass through the turbine tailpipe
which I would take to mean that you can't run exhaust gas through a central pylon.
Does the rule say all turbine exit exhaust gases must "pass through" or "exit" the tailpipe?