2016 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Apr. 29 - May 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2016 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi, Apr. 29 - May 01

pob wrote:Alonso did 40 laps on the supersoft last year, it will be easy one-stop. I hope some of the teams/drivers have the guts to call out Pirelli in the press conferences on just how ridiculously conservative they have been.
OK one stop then but why complain about it? It's a classic nostalgia bread and butter of F1, everyone pushing 100% just like Alonso behind Petrov in AD '10 or everyone in Bahrain '10. If they chose ultrasofts there would be whining about degradation or pressure.

search

basti313 wrote: In China most teams used 1SS 2S and 1M until the end of FP2. No matter what tire allocations. If we see the same here everyone could even use new tires for FP2 and have more than enough tires for Q and Race.
well, they also have to return 2 sets after FP3, but yes, if this is a one stop race, it will not make much of a difference. Ferrari would use one set of super softs in each FP2 and FP3 then, 4 for qualifying, and then go for a new set of softs at the first stop.

Some teams will use supersofts in FP1 already now though, so that should spice up the order on Friday morning a bit at least.

Vortex Motio

For clarity, each car must return 2 sets of tires after each practice session.

So after 3 practice sessions 6 of 13 sets will have been returned.

In addition, each car is required to retain 1 set each of the 2 declared race compounds for the race. Which means if no one uses the medium in the race, it effectively gives teams 6 sets of tires for Q & race.

But given the circuit history of this surface being non-abrasive, and therefore the possibility of viable 1 stop strategies, with 2 stops max, the tire choices for this race do seem less significant than for other circuits.

Nuvolari

Now you know why Ferrari chose more Softs than anybody else. They were much quicker than Williams on this tyre compared to the SS last year. Also, it looked to me like there is no more performance left to extract from the SS after pushing it for 10-12 laps. The performance kinda plateaus out after that, but the delta is about 1.5s/lap to the Soft during that window of 10-12 laps in the first stint (MAS vs BOT). Best pit lane time last year was ~29s. This time can't be made up by the performance offered by the SS in an extra stop.

Plotted Vettel's 1st stint for comparison in that graph. Didn't plot Alonso's final stint on the SS but the trend looked very similar to the first stints I posted earlier. About 10-12 laps of steeply declining lap times, then stabilising for the reminder of the stint.

It seems that the Softs can be pushed for much longer (~25 laps) than the SS before it too loses performance. IMO, the tyre strategy will be solely dependent on how racy you want to get and how much of a gap you have to your nearest competitor, in deciding to stop for new tyres as the SS reaches its plateau. It will depend if it's worth to keep going a bit longer for a consistent lap time to cover yourself for a reasonable final stint length.

BanMeToo

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/04/27/s ... z-crashed/

A few changes made to the track - hopefully we get some pictures of turn 2 today or tomorrow.

Vasconia

BanMeToo wrote:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/04/27/s ... z-crashed/

A few changes made to the track - hopefully we get some pictures of turn 2 today or tomorrow.
They seem like a minor changes in order to improve safety after Sainz´s crash. Loads of boring 90 degrees corners still there. :(

Its me or the forum is a little bit inactive?

3jawchuck

Vasconia wrote:Its me or the forum is a little bit inactive?
Normally races have appeared on the formula one front page just before, during a marginally after the event, but the last couple haven't. Takes a little more digging to get to them.

Vasconia

3jawchuck wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Its me or the forum is a little bit inactive?
Normally races have appeared on the formula one front page just before, during a marginally after the event, but the last couple haven't. Takes a little more digging to get to them.
Or people have simply lost intered to comment because of certain reasons.

F1NAC

why is still OZ Gp pinned?

mika vs michael

I have been watching F1 since very early 90's. You don't have to be a wizard to understand a few things. As long as people realize that Mercedes is walking away with the 2017 title and as long as the Lewis vs Nico battle does not re-ignite then people won't be interested in. It is as simple as that. I'm fed up with listening to how close is Ferrari to Merc. That Redbull may interfere in the battle as well. People want to see a real battle...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

BanMeToo

Hopefully Lewis has a normal weekend, at the very least get some tension at the front.

PlatinumZealot

The weather looks very warm. I hope that takes away from the tyre life.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BanMeToo

Very warm? Low 60s F...... 17-18 C

godlameroso

Conditions are going to be very similar to Melbourne, except it's going to be a beautiful weekend. I think a two stopper is going to be necessary for one reason. The cars are almost 1.5-2 seconds faster than last year even on the "same" tire, and given how hard sector 3 is on the rear tires I wouldn't be surprised if we see a SS SS S play itself out.
Saishū kōnā