2016 Le Mans 24 hours

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Facts Only

Re: 2016 Le Mans 24 hours

Sevach wrote: Speaking of politics, F... you Bernie, because of you i missed the celebrations and the aftermath of one of the most shocking auto races in history to watch the first laps of your crappy little race (and how crappy and inane it was).
Did Bernie steal your TV remote and change the channel? I know he gets blamed for a lot of things but I don't think he did that.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Sevach

No he didn't, he just "coincidentally" set a race on Le Mans weekend after last years race had huge exposure thanks to Hulkenberg's win.

Pierce89

TzeiTzei wrote:Politics etc. is never nice in motorsport, but my disliking comes from the way they have approached this whole campaign. They basically built a prototype and said that they would build some road cars aswell. For me, that's the complete opposite of what a GT car should be. And it's the complete opposite of every other car in that class. They then sandbagged through Daytona, Sebring and all the other races this year just to make sure they got favourable BoP. And the ACO let it all happen. Probably because they, like Ford, wanted to see Ford winning on the 50th anniversary and allow everyone to make nice headlines. BoPping the Ferrari to be the only challenger to Ford fit the script quite nicely too. Can't have those Astons, Corvettes and Porsches spoiling the party. But then again, Porsche probably don't care. They won overall.
The saddest thing about this post is, its true.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Facts Only

Sevach wrote:No he didn't, he just "coincidentally" set a race on Le Mans weekend after last years race had huge exposure thanks to Hulkenberg's win.
He didn't force you to watch it though.

Le Man and F1 races have clashed on many occasions over the years. The Monaco GP clashes with the Indy 500 that's not Bernie being evil. Not everything in the world is a conspiracy.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Sevach

No he didn't, i actually believed we would've got an exciting race in Baku all by myself.

But i still think Bernie did a petty move and i'm glad he came up worst for it.

fenix4life

Any thoughts on the following.
Why wouldn't Toyota have bluffed the end.
I mean, instead of telling on the radio that they are having issues with power they could have said nothing.
I mean that why not already cruising together with the number 6 car like they always do at the end of the race. Formation driving and enjoying the victory.
This might have resulted in the other cars of following them cruising around.

I'm not sure if Porsche would have even tried in that case of overtaking them. Then they would have been unsporty.

Any thoughts. Would this bluff ever have worked?
Because in the end, they should have know that stopping on the line that they lost so why not taking a last gamble

NL_Fer

On other races the p2 was more as one lap down, so even slowing down they could not unlap anymore. Now the gap was only 30s

langwadt

Sevach wrote:Porsche is preparing their own "can hardly be called a 911" for 2017, this was an off year (in GTE) for them.
It's GT1 back when they were essentially a prototype class all over again.
That's usually the beginning of the end for a series, costs explode and everyone leaves

strad

I don't think so, not in a million years.
We're talking racers here, all the way to the wire.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Sevach

To do formation finishes you need to be laps ahead of the competition.

Jani would've caught them regardless, the gap went from 70s to 30 before we even heard the Porsche radio telling Jani to push.

I'm still curious as to what happened to that car...

SR71

fenix4life wrote:Any thoughts on the following.
Why wouldn't Toyota have bluffed the end.
I mean, instead of telling on the radio that they are having issues with power they could have said nothing.
I mean that why not already cruising together with the number 6 car like they always do at the end of the race. Formation driving and enjoying the victory.
This might have resulted in the other cars of following them cruising around.

I'm not sure if Porsche would have even tried in that case of overtaking them. Then they would have been unsporty.

Because in the end, they should have know that stopping on the line that they lost so why not taking a last gamble
There are exactly ZERO reasons in the history of the world where passing your competitor on the last lap of the 24H of Le Mans is considered unsporty.

Endurance racing = ZERO F*(k$ given....

TzeiTzei

It's a shame that Audi didn't have the speed or the reliability to challenge Porsche and Toyota. Really this year Audi's performance has been strange. They have top speed, they have enough hybrid boost, but the chassis just doesn't seem to work. They can post some good lap times but they very much struggle with consistency. Looking at some lap time analysis Porsche seemed to have the best race pace, but Toyota could go a lap further.

LMP2 just isn't quite as exciting in a 24h race than what it is in the shorter races. Especially this year it seemed that the gaps grew very quickly and many competitive teams dropped far back early in the race. Kudos to Roberto Merhi for pulling like a minute's lead early in the race. He looks like someone who has a bright future in motorsport ahead of him.

ds.raikkonen

What baffled me was the 6 min rule that a certain car has to complete one lap within this time else they won't be classified?! If cars can be idle for 20-30min and still join the track, several laps down on the leader, why can't a car be idle on the track for a few minutes and then still finish at least to be classified! Safety concern?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

langwadt

ds.raikkonen wrote:What baffled me was the 6 min rule that a certain car has to complete one lap within this time else they won't be classified?! If cars can be idle for 20-30min and still join the track, several laps down on the leader, why can't a car be idle on the track for a few minutes and then still finish at least to be classified! Safety concern?
it is so you can't get classified by parking the car one meter before the line and wait for winner to cross line before driving the last few meters

ds.raikkonen

langwadt wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote:What baffled me was the 6 min rule that a certain car has to complete one lap within this time else they won't be classified?! If cars can be idle for 20-30min and still join the track, several laps down on the leader, why can't a car be idle on the track for a few minutes and then still finish at least to be classified! Safety concern?
it is so you can't get classified by parking the car one meter before the line and wait for winner to cross line before driving the last few meters
Ok, but then if the lead car really wants to give up the lead, it would rather pit for an unscheduled stop or something rather than wait at the finish line eh :wtf:
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC