2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
sosic2121

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

Spoutnik wrote:It's me or the McLaren seems really difficult to drive ? Understeer, oversteer very often with both drivers. Maybe it's the new tarmac + heat ?
But still, they are the 3rd/4th car on this track.
very difficult!
maybe they are gambling with low DF one lap setup as TR sometimes does?

Fulcrum

Very difficult to draw any proper conclusions from that session - other than Mercedes being in a different Formula at the moment.

The track is dusty, green, evolution is high. I'd anticipate a lot of the niggles many cars are experiencing to fall away as grip levels rise.

Jolle

Fulcrum wrote:Very difficult to draw any proper conclusions from that session - other than Mercedes being in a different Formula at the moment.

The track is dusty, green, evolution is high. I'd anticipate a lot of the niggles many cars are experiencing to fall away as grip levels rise.
The last two years have shown that being best of the rest can give you a race win here :D

basti313

sosic2121 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
I hope Nico can find something more, he usually does when Q3 comes.

Ferrari looking good but they always look better on Fridays. Only one tenth between Sebastian and Kimi, I expect more from the German.

Mclaren looking good too. TR musst have checked something different because they should be between the ten fastest cars.
It's only FP1 but it’s not looking good for Ferrari :cry:
Nico is only 2 tenths behind. I think he is saving tires in Q2 so you get wrong impression about Q3.
Merc did a clear Q run. Vet had a spin on his W run, I did not see Rai. RedBull did no such runs on the SS so far.
Regarding Ros/Ham difference: Ham was 2 tenth faster in S2. That is clear because Ros was on the turf in one corner (5 or 6?). Ros had a lot of oversteer in the last corner, so why did he not loose additional 2 tenth there? I did not see a fault in the last sector from Ham.
Don`t russel the hamster!

basti313

Does anybody know, how many laps the Mercs could do with the SS? To me it looks like tire deg is crucial and the Mediums might be necessary or at least something to consider.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Alonsofor2017

Looks like the gap might be like this in qualifying

1. Merc
+0.8
2. Red bull
+0.4
3. Ferrari
+0.1
4. Mclaren
+0.3
5. Force India

McLaren might qualify a car ahead of Ferrari, that would be funny

sosic2121

basti313 wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
I hope Nico can find something more, he usually does when Q3 comes.

Ferrari looking good but they always look better on Fridays. Only one tenth between Sebastian and Kimi, I expect more from the German.

Mclaren looking good too. TR musst have checked something different because they should be between the ten fastest cars.
It's only FP1 but it’s not looking good for Ferrari :cry:
Nico is only 2 tenths behind. I think he is saving tires in Q2 so you get wrong impression about Q3.
Merc did a clear Q run. Vet had a spin on his W run, I did not see Rai. RedBull did no such runs on the SS so far.
Regarding Ros/Ham difference: Ham was 2 tenth faster in S2. That is clear because Ros was on the turf in one corner (5 or 6?). Ros had a lot of oversteer in the last corner, so why did he not loose additional 2 tenth there? I did not see a fault in the last sector from Ham.
I think raikkonen set his best time on his second flying lap.

jericho

Alonsofor2017 wrote:Looks like the gap might be like this in qualifying

1. Merc
+0.8
2. Red bull
+0.4
3. Ferrari
+0.1
4. Mclaren
+0.3
5. Force India

McLaren might qualify a car ahead of Ferrari, that would be funny
Remeber Mclaren always lose alot of speed in qualy. Or you can say they don't gain as much as others, Mercedes can turn up the power more than Honda

FoxHound

Brundle saying that Mercedes have way higher apex speed than anything else out there.
JET set

WaikeCU

FoxHound wrote:Brundle saying that Mercedes have way higher apex speed than anything else out there.
Higher apex speed it is, but that means losing it and they'll write off their car for sure... as Hamilton just did. :(

ChrisDanger

If anyone missed Hamilton's crash that put him out the session: https://streamable.com/d9z1

FoxHound

WaikeCU wrote:
FoxHound wrote:Brundle saying that Mercedes have way higher apex speed than anything else out there.
Higher apex speed it is, but that means losing it and they'll write off their car for sure... as Hamilton just did. :(
Brundle also said it look most stable through the corners....
JET set

Jolle

FoxHound wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
Brundle also said it look most stable through the corners....
Looks like a tad to aggressive on the rear brakes at corner entry.

flickerf1

ChrisDanger wrote:If anyone missed Hamilton's crash that put him out the session: https://streamable.com/d9z1
His left rear just touched the curb and it unsettled the car.
The Wicked + The Divine.

ME4ME

Job well done by Mercedes, their aero upgrades seem to have delivered quite a big step. They should be safe until the end of the season without developing at all, re-directing 100% of the workforce towards the 2017 project.