[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Another question:

I'm reviewing my design against the rulebook.

The last paragraph from K3.3: "there must be no gaps in any of the sections formed"

Now this:
My doubt: A Y normal plane crossing the rounded internal diffuser surface would create more than one separated section, being each on of them separate but closed curves. Is this valid?

rjsa
rjsa

CAEdevice wrote:
13 Apr 2017, 09:07
rjsa wrote:
12 Apr 2017, 15:55
Quick question: Are wing endplates subject to the same 10mm thickness limit as wing elements?
I think so, let's wait for Chirs or Andre to be sure.

Btw: may the 10mm minimum thickness rule be changed into a 5mm thickness rule + a minimum thickness for the trailing edge (1÷2mm, rounded)? It would help to design small winglets.

There will be any change about the mesh in 2017?
Tks, that's my assumption.

One problem with refining the meshes too much isn't processing time? Is it like rendering? If it is a mesh with twice the resolution could take 8 times longer to solve, right?

RicME85

There is a part that says once the criteria is met then you can add dividers to the diffuser. Basically, exclude the dividers when checking for holes

rjsa
rjsa

Oh that's what that means... Tks

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 12:27
There is a part that says once the criteria is met then you can add dividers to the diffuser. Basically, exclude the dividers when checking for holes
Interesting. I used to include the dividers when checking, but your point of view looks reasonable.

rjsa
rjsa

I got wondering since nobody tried any 3d dividers that I was able to see.

rjsa
rjsa

Do you guys use anything specific to keep control of interactions and versions?

Branching control?

Keep model files or visual reference from each simulation for future reference?

Any specific tools? Charts?

I've been doing an excel worksheet with cfd results, lap times and comments and keep the major cad file versions with adopted changes over time. That is getting vague, missing information and very hard to search and correlate.

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 16:52
Do you guys use anything specific to keep control of interactions and versions?

Branching control?

Keep model files or visual reference from each simulation for future reference?

Any specific tools? Charts?

I've been doing an excel worksheet with cfd results, lap times and comments and keep the major cad file versions with adopted changes over time. That is getting vague, missing information and very hard to search and correlate.
I use an excel table with a code to identify the simulation and the original SWX geometry.

rjsa
rjsa

So you keep all the geometry?

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 18:25
So you keep all the geometry?
Yes, I keep the geometry and the HTML report

CAEdevice

Apologies if I insist with this question (that is about a very small detail... but important for an idea I am working about).

The maximum heat exchanger height is 450mm. Would it be possible to change the allowed value to 500÷550mm ? It would look realistic anyway.

CAEdevice

Hi there! Any news from the big boss? I hope that the hx new features are not making you get crazy.

RicME85

Matteo the man with the least patience in the world :D

CAEdevice

RicME85 wrote:
24 Apr 2017, 17:25
Matteo the man with the least patience in the world :D
ahah you are right! :D

That happens everytime I have to leave the office for a while (1 week this time) and I can't take the workstation I use for CFD with me.

LVDH

Ha, I am sorry. I was very busy lately. I am getting ahead of my projects again though. So I really hope to get MVRC going again very soon. And Matteo there will not be rule changes about small design details like you requested. If I would do that I would be doing nothing else.
Although I have far from done what I planned I did work on doing multiple cooling duct simulations. I will present the results soon. They were quite surprising to me. I thought that a good cooling duct would have an opening about a third or half the size of the radiator area and an outlet about 50% the size. So far in all settings and velocities the best solution was always to open both as far as possible. This is something I did not understand and wanted to figure out. So far I still do not completely understand it.
But now in a new project with almost the same question I used an adjoint solver to optimize an air intake system, which is almost the same as an cooling duct as it is a duct with a flow resistance in the middle which acts pretty much like a radiator. So what did the adjoint solver tell me? Well, to have a duct with a limited area up to the resistance then expand and converge again behind it. So in this case I got the text book solution. So now I know even less...