Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".

humble sabot

Re: Mercedes AMG Hyper Car

One thing made clear is that there's much less emphasis on underbody aero, especially at the front, compared to Valkyrie.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

garyjpaterson

humble sabot wrote:
28 May 2017, 17:23
One thing made clear is that there's much less emphasis on underbody aero, especially at the front, compared to Valkyrie.
Looks like it. Though I am expecting quite a high rear diffuser of some sorts, as the lower suspension arms at the rear look like they are formed with aero in mind (whereas the upper arms aren't.)

SectorOne

What are those four squares? Some kind of mount for the rear wing?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Tim.Wright

SectorOne wrote:
30 May 2017, 16:51
What are those four squares? Some kind of mount for the rear wing?
I'm guessing it's where the crash structure will be welded.
Not the engineer at Force India

humble sabot

Or more likely bolted/riveted.
Good catch on the aero lower arms. I'd been seeing all the blocky i-beam ones and somehow missed those ones.

I'm pretty disappointed it doesn't look like they're leaving much room for a front diffuser.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

SR71

Anyone think we'll see those aero profile arms exposed inside a large diffuser?

ChrisDanger

RicerDude

I wonder if the engine will still use engine timing gears?
Surely with all the silencers in the exhaust all you will be able to hear behind you at 11K RPM is whining from the timing gear train?

godlameroso

ChrisDanger wrote:
31 May 2017, 20:01
A bit of a presentation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzV_1hF4pxM&t=279
80kW MGU-H, I wonder if the F1 car is of the same output?
Saishū kōnā

WaikeCU

This thing must have a FRIC suspension, I mean that's one of the weapons that makes the Merc F1 era so great. That trick suspension.

roon

Apparent in the video are variable stator blades & a control ring on the compressor inlet.

MGUH is mentioned as "right behind" the compressor. I think this is the first time the H's exact location within the V has been seen or officially mentioned.

Modern F1's drivetrain durability regulations make it possible to use F1 components directly in road cars, it would seem. I wonder if that was an intent as drafted. Road relevance not in the sense of technology trickle-down to mass-production vehicles, but in durability & user friendliness of F1 componentry. A way for engine suppliers to sell their F1 engines outside of F1. Couldn't really do that as easily with those one-session V10s.

SR71

roon wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 20:34
Apparent in the video are variable stator blades & a control ring on the compressor inlet.

https://s23.postimg.org/4c1026f8r/image.jpg

MGUH is mentioned as "right behind" the compressor. I think this is the first time the H's exact location within the V has been seen or officially mentioned.

Modern F1's drivetrain durability regulations make it possible to use F1 components directly in road cars, it would seem. I wonder it that was an intent as drafted. Road relevance not in the sense of technology trickle-down to mass-production vehicles, but in durability & user friendliness of F1 componentry. A way for engine suppliers to sell their F1 engines outside of F1. Couldn't really do that as easily with those one-session V10s.
I think road relevance with regard to F1 has been mostly materials, processes,manufacturing, etc, for quite some time now.

This example from Merc is actually the first car who's road relevance to F1 reaches outside the bounds of manufacturing and into actual part design and components.

Bravo to Merc for this though. Can't wait to see it against the Aston on track.

shady

Does the suspension seem really high to anyone else? It doesnt look like FRIC, which is an interesting choice, just a conventional heave element. What is really odd to me is the gearbox housing is 'metal'.. not CF, and also incredibly large I know its a stressed member but whoa.

roon

They may have had target weights for the vehicle & unsprung components that rendered cf suspension members unnecessary. The suspension is interesting. There does not appear to be dedicated corner springs & dampers, only roll & heave. The rockers don't look like they house torsion springs.

The lower half of the roll element has a rigid housing that is attached to the right-hand side bellcrank, yet it houses a spring internally. That spring must be actuated internally via a hydraulic piston.

What's the precedent for using heave & roll elements only in a suspension design? Why is there a (seemingly) remotely actuated spring within the lower half of the roll element?