2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
strad

Re: 2016 Grand Prix of Mexico - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 28-30 October

Always reminds me of kids arguing in the back seat... ""Mommy he said my guy sucks" .. "make him stop he said bad things about my hero" Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Fifty

Andres125sx wrote:
Fifty wrote:In my time racing, the car in front owns that corner and it's the overtaking drivers responsibility to overtake safely and if you can't do it, or the door starts to shut in the corner, then the overtaking driver has to back off.
How is that posible after braking and before releasing the brake pedal?

Once the overtaking driver brake later because driver in front left a gap at the inside, the overtaking driver can´t back off, as that would imply braking faster, but he´s already applying full brakes, so that´s simply not possible. That´s the reason for the new rule about direction changes under braking.

If he went too far (hit the brakes too late) driver in front must let him pass and go long/off racing line, then recover position. But if driver in front close the door after hitting the brakes, a crash is guaranteed.

That´s the reason most drivers close the door before braking, but Seb left the door open, and tried to close it too late when Ricciardo had no options to back off, read, after braking.
In response to this... this opinion sounds like you have limited real wheel to wheel experience. I'm no super star, but I've been in amateur racing since 94. (That's actual prof how much I suck Lol)
But yes. You makenthe pass knowing what your brakes can and can't do and forcing the error ahead and taking advantedge of it etc etc etc.. many many ways.

To the rest quoting me! Great discussion,
But my points were less pointed at the max kimi stuff. Look more specifically at all of the Alonso "push the other car off the track and claim the corner yours" type stuff.
It's like he got his racing start in motocross and kept his cornering overtake skills the same...

Andres125sx

strad wrote:that's just crazy.
Any reason?
strad wrote:As said, the guy in front owns the corner
Who said the contrary?
strad wrote:and it's up to the following car to get it done safely ,,, period.
Obviously, but there´s a difference between the driver behind going too long and crashing with the car in front, or the car in front closing the door under braking

I agree the car in front owns the corner, but this is racing, there are too optimistic attempts to overtake on every single GP, if every driver in front think "I own the corner so I´ll take the racing line", we´d see a lot more crashes than we actually see

An example on same GP, this is what any driver who´s not frustrated and distracted do on that same scenario

If Rosberg would have thought "hey I´m in front so I own the corner, the racing line is mine", they´d have crashed. He did the sensible thing, let him pass and recover position. That´s what Vettel didn´t do, closed the door under braking, and caused a crash.

It was on the limit, true, as he does not close the door completely, but doing that exactly next week from the rule clarification was too obvious

Andres125sx

Fifty wrote:In response to this... this opinion sounds like you have limited real wheel to wheel experience. I'm no super star, but I've been in amateur racing since 94.
Maybe you´re so amateurish you don´t apply full brakes so you can actually back off under braking.

Pro drivers are different

PS: sorry but you didn´t let me too many options to reply when you ignore the points of the discussion and your only point is "I´m a racing driver, you´re not, shut up" :roll: I´ve been a racing rider btw, an MX racing rider, so I have some wheel to wheel experience...

PS2: Even when rude, my reply is completely real, no way to back off once you hit the brakes and the driver in front change direction under braking cutting your line, and your racing experience will never change this, or you found some way to change physics?

AMG.Tzan

Andres125sx wrote:
strad wrote:that's just crazy.
Any reason?
strad wrote:As said, the guy in front owns the corner
Who said the contrary?
strad wrote:and it's up to the following car to get it done safely ,,, period.
Obviously, but there´s a difference between the driver behind going too long and crashing with the car in front, or the car in front closing the door under braking

I agree the car in front owns the corner, but this is racing, there are too optimistic attempts to overtake on every single GP, if every driver in front think "I own the corner so I´ll take the racing line", we´d see a lot more crashes than we actually see

An example on same GP, this is what any driver who´s not frustrated and distracted do on that same scenario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfBMTv2llM

If Rosberg would have thought "hey I´m in front so I own the corner, the racing line is mine", they´d have crashed. He did the sensible thing, let him pass and recover position. That´s what Vettel didn´t do, closed the door under braking, and caused a crash.

It was on the limit, true, as he does not close the door completely, but doing that exactly next week from the rule clarification was too obvious
If Vettel had done the same as Rosberg, Ricciardo would have been in front as he didn't outbrake himself as much as Verstappen did when trying to pass Rosberg! And as i said in an earlier post it was just a squeeze...nothing like closing the door all the way in front of the other guy like Verstappen did all year long!! If you are going to give a penalty to Vettel for that then you have to give a penalty to Verstappen for Suzuka with Hamilton, where had Hamilton been a bit closer we may have had an Alonso kind of crash all over again! At least give Vettel a penalty for the right reason...ranting on the radio way too much...this kind of frustration (blue flags even in practice and talking to the race director like this) is not worthy of a 4-time WDC!

PS: I remember Korea 2011 where in practice Vettel came up behind Buemi at the last corner on a fast lap! And Vettel started waving his hand to him and then went with Marko to speak to him...i mean it's practice, you have your WDC almost wrapped up, what's your problem man?? I hate drivers that go on the radio with every single thing that goes wrong for them or start waving hands like Vettel,Verstappen do (Alonso is on another category for ranting about the car :lol: :lol: :lol: )! It's just looks so childish! Look at Hamilton, Rosberg, Ricciardo, Raikkonen or even Schumacher in the past...Hamilton didn't even want Mercedes to protest Verstappen after Suzuka and he is running for a WDC!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

FrukostScones

f*ck me, that's great:
Radio transcript GP Mexico:

L68 – RB to Verstappen: Ok, give the position. I think you’re going to have to give the position back, Max.
L68 – Verstappen: Let me know!
L68 – RB to Verstappen: Ok, stay there!
-----
L68 – Vettel: He has to let me go, he has to let me go.
L68 – FER to Vettel: Ok, copy. Stay calm!
L68 – Vettel: No, it's not right. I don't stay calm, cause he is blocking me into Ricciardo.
L68 – FER to Vettel: Copy that.
-----
L68 – FER to Vettel: We're on it with Charlie.
L68 – FER to Vettel: Ok, Verstappen has to give you the position. Watch for Ricciardo behind!
-----
L68 – RB to Ricciardo: Okay mate, so let's keep it smooth. Take advantage when you can.
-----
L69 – FER to Vettel: 3 laps to go.
L69 – Vettel: Move! Move, for f*cks sake!
L69 – FER to Vettel: He has been informed. He has to move.
L69 – Vettel: He's a bastard, that's what he is.
-----
L69 – RB to Verstappen: Alright mate, this is going to be investigated after the race, so keep your head down. 2 laps.
-----
L69 – RB to Ricciardo: Ok, 2 laps to go. Battery is full. Let's go!
-----
L70 – Vettel: Am I the only one, or are you not seeing what I'm seeing? He's just backing me off into Ricciardo. F*ck me.
L70 – FER to Vettel: You have to fight with him. Charlie...
L70 – Vettel: What the hell are you talking about? He cut the chicane.
L70 – FER to Vettel: Ok, copy.
L70 – Vettel: And now, he's brake-testing me.
L70 – Vettel: I mean, honestly, I'm going to hit someone. I think I have a puncture. Rear left.
-----
L70 – Ricciardo: That was f*cked. He moved on braking. I had already committed. F*ck.
L70 – RB to Ricciardo: Ok, understood. Vettel may have a puncture.
-----
L70 – FER to Vettel: Tyres are fine. Tyres are fine.
L70 – FER to Vettel: The car is fine, you can fight. The car is fine, you can fight.
L70 – Vettel: He has to give me the position, end of the story.
L70 – FER to Vettel: Charlie said that... Charlie said...
L70 – Vettel: Yeah... you know what, here's the message for Charlie: F*ck off! Honestly. F*ck off!
L70 – Arrivabene to Vettel: Sebastian, Sebastian... calm down! They are under investigation. I know that it’s not fair. But calm down. Put your head down and we will talk afterwards.
L70 – Vettel: Ok, copy Maurizio.
-----
L71 – RB to Verstappen: Ok Max, last lap. Gap to Sebastian 1,7 seconds.
-----
L71 – RB to Ricciardo: Ok mate, this is the last lap now. Tyre pressures are fine. This is the last lap.
L71 – Ricciardo: I've got a massive vibration. How is the gap behind?
L71 – RB to Ricciardo: Yeah, understood. You've got a 30 seconds gap behind to Raikkonen. Keep up the pace in case Vettel gets a penalty. You've got no threat from behind. Try to keep within 5 seconds if possible.
-----
L71 – FER to Vettel: Ricciardo has lost pace behind. He's 2,7 seconds behind. Try to stay as close as possible in case of 5 second penalty at the end. This is the last lap.
----- Chequered Flag
L71+1 – RB to Verstappen: Ah Max. What can I say, mate. Amazing job. Amazing job. Really well done.
L71+1 – Verstappen: That was hard.
L71+1 – RB to Verstappen: 59 laps on that set. Fantastic.
L71+1 – Horner to Verstappen: Well done Maxie, that was a fantastic drive. No debate about turn 1. FerrariHier geht's zu passenden Produkten auf Amazon.de! were moaning about it, but you were well ahead and it was a lot less than Rosberg did at the beginning of the race. Great drive, you managed it well, and it was a great effort on Nico as well.
L71+1 – Verstappen: Yeah, thank you very much Christian. It was very hard the last 10 laps. But at the end I think it was still a very good result.
L71+1 – RB to Verstappen: Cool the car on the way in Max! And just a reminder: You will be stopping with Hamilton and Rosberg at Turn 13 in the stadium. Enjoy it!
-----
L71+1 – FER to Vettel: P4, P4... slow and cool your brakes!
L71+1 – Vettel: I think I showed enough. I mean, overtaking is not a walk in the park. So to me it is clear. That’s the last what I’m saying.
L71+1 – Arrivabene to Vettel: Sebastian we understand, we talk afterwards and we are going to talk with FIA. You have done a great race, really. I am proud of you.
L71+1 – Vettel: Grazie ragazzi. The car was great, strategy worked well. Shame about yesterday because the pace was there to do more. Grazie.
-----
L71+1 – RB to Ricciardo: Nice job on that mate.
L71+1 – Ricciardo: Yeah, but what about all these guys outbraking themselves at the first chicane? I mean Lewis at the start and Max the same. Put a f*cking wall there and they won’t do it. That's bullsh*t guys. F*cking kindergarten stuff.
L71+1 – RB to Ricciardo: Ok mate, understood. You did a very, very good job today. Pace was excellent. As I said, we are speaking to Charlie.
L71+1 – Horner to Ricciardo: Daniel that was as blatant a move as we’ve ever seen. The event notes are very, very clear. I don’t think you’ve got anything to fear. It was a great effort that you’ve put in and it was a great move that should have made stick.
L71+1 – RB to Ricciardo: Ok Daniel, we're driving straight around to the pit entry. I let you have a chat with VettelVideo Formel Schmidt: Verstappen wie eins Schumacher! when you get there.
sauce AMUS (f1technical.net is blanking out all f*cks and sh*ts so I meade asterisks for an enjyoing read)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Mandrake

As many have pointed out before: best solution would be to have consistent stewards at every race. That way, consistency in decisioning is more likely and no fuzzy rules need to be written down. Written rules always leave room for interpretation. Strict and consistent ruling does a much better job!

pob

One of the stewards for Mexico was Silvia Bellot, the first graduate from the FIA's Steward training programme. She does a lot of the F1 races each year, so consistency should not have been a problem. I think it escaped public attention that as well as the introduction of the "driver steward", the way the stewards are selected and trained was revamped several years ago.

Just_a_fan

There is a claim of a lack of consistency because different drivers have different fans. Those fans think their driver is hard done by in any judgement. That's human nature, sadly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Fifty

Andres125sx wrote:
Fifty wrote:In response to this... this opinion sounds like you have limited real wheel to wheel experience. I'm no super star, but I've been in amateur racing since 94.
Maybe you´re so amateurish you don´t apply full brakes so you can actually back off under braking.

PS: sorry but you didn´t let me too many options to reply when you ignore the points of the discussion and your only point is "I´m a racing driver, you´re not, shut up" :roll: I´ve been a racing rider btw, an MX racing rider, so I have some wheel to wheel experience...

PS2: Even when rude, my reply is completely real, no way to back off once you hit the brakes and the driver in front change direction under braking cutting your line, and your racing experience will never change this, or you found some way to change physics?
Lol. Two wheels. Run them as well. Dirt and road. Way different than piloting a 2+k lb car.

Anyways. Your trying to tell me that a professional driver hasn't been studying lap by lap the driver in fronts positioning and strategy though a turn and doesn't know how to look at braking markers?
If I know that a driver makes a late apex on turn 3 every time, then I know if I late brake (full trail) and go nose deep on him as he is turning in (putting me into a late apex position that will not only force him off track, but most certainly me as well); that I don't have to take anything into regard until after I commit myself?
I don't have to regard wether the move is safe, proper or fair? Just nose in like its PlayStation?

If you can out brake before the corner...yep.
But you don't put brake to push someone off mid corner or even at entry.

Sorry mate...put the joystick down. PlayStation rules are not real racing and unfortunately F1 has become that way.

You get pulled from your car in the pits around here for that nonsense and no one would come to your rescue.

Max's attempt on Nico in Mexico gp where he ended up locking the rear and drifting past the apex, that was a clear attempt gone bad of someone either trying to out brake and get to the corner cleanly first or his attempt to pull a Nico/Alonso pushing pass on Nico...and Nico barely and luckily didn't get caught.

If max was going for the first, that's a clean way to pass and it just didn't work. If it was the latter then it's the dirty cheap in skilled way of motox (which is your expertise) of passing and has no place on the pavement.

I'd type more but I'm sleepy. Old age is for the weary...or is it weary is for the old aged?

Andres125sx

Fifty wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Lol. Two wheels. Run them as well. Dirt and road. Way different than piloting a 2+k lb car.

Anyways. Your trying to tell me that a professional driver hasn't been studying lap by lap the driver in fronts positioning and strategy though a turn and doesn't know how to look at braking markers?
If I know that a driver makes a late apex on turn 3 every time, then I know if I late brake (full trail) and go nose deep on him as he is turning in (putting me into a late apex position that will not only force him off track, but most certainly me as well); that I don't have to take anything into regard until after I commit myself?
I don't have to regard wether the move is safe, proper or fair? Just nose in like its PlayStation?
Who said any of that? :?:

I guess you know what´s closing the door, right? That´s what Vettel should have done before braking, but once he left the door open, and Ricciardo went in, he cannot close the door while braking. First because that´s probably causing a crash, second because it´s forbidden by the rules.

Vettel did a mistake leaving the door open, and then when he saw Ricciardo going in, tried to solve it... but too late. As simple as that. Specially with a 2k lb car :wink:

Andres125sx

AMG.Tzan wrote:If you are going to give a penalty to Vettel for that then you have to give a penalty to Verstappen for Suzuka with Hamilton
With same rules, yes. But you´re ignoring that was allowed until past GP, then FIA made a rule clarification and banned that kind of movement. Then Vettel did it, so he deserve a penalty.

I also critiziced Verstappen moves, but rules are rules, if it was allowed then he only took advatange of a loophole, but once FIA clarified the rule Vettel simply broke a rule

Juzh

I have to agree with this.

nevill3

I think the full stewards report of the incident clarifies it perectly, Vettel ticked all the points to say that he had broken the rule so was penalized. The stewards would have access to the telemetry which probably showed Vettel's steering and braking input as well as having access to many more video angles than we get to see.
http://www.fia.com/file/49869/download?token=K3SSemIo
No / Driver 5 - Sebastian Vettel

Competitor Scuderia Ferrari

Time 14:41

Session Race

Fact Driving dangerously or erratically approaching turn 4.

Offence Breach of Article 27.5 of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.

Decision 10 Second Time Penalty imposed after the race in accordance with Article 38.3 (10

seconds added to elapsed race time)

(2 penalty points awarded, 6 points total for the 12 month period)

Reason The stewards paid particular attention to the Race Directors Notes from the US Grand

Prix (v2) and from this event (point 18).

Notwithstanding the F1 Commission directive to “let the drivers race” we note the

concern that has been expressed about manoeuvrers involving a change of direction

under braking as expressed at the Drivers Briefing at the US Grand Prix and in the

Race Director’s Notes from the US Grand Prix and this event.

The telemetry and video evidence shows that the driver of Car 5 did change direction

under braking.

Article 27.5 and the Race Director’s Notes have essentially three criteria that

determine a breach

1) Driving in a manner potentially dangerous

2) An abnormal change of direction

3) Another driver having to take evasive action

The video footage, including the close circuit footage, the broadcast vision, both

drivers' on board cameras plus the telemetry show that there was an abnormal change

of direction by Car 5 and this was considered to be potentially dangerous in view of the

proximity of the wheels of each car.

The video evidence clearly shows that Car 3 had to take evasive action as a result.

Accordingly as all three criteria have been met, the driver of Car 5 is guilty of a breach

of Article 27.5
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978