Steering angle and turning radius.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ChrisDanger

Re: Steering angle and turning radius.

I don't think there's any safety issue in cars crashing at the slowest corner on a circuit. What exactly can be injured except egos?

mrluke

If you had more tracks with more frequent and tighter corners then the cars would have an increased steering angle and a shorter wheelbase.

The reason F1 cars struggle with "tight" corners is because they are very few and far between.

zac510

I think it's a good idea.
When we have teams designing cars for very very narrow windows of performance its detrimental to the overall variation of the sport and variation breeds excitement. I don't blame them for doing that as it's engineering defined, but then that pushes it back to the rule makers to create rules that encourage the car to run through a large range of operating windows during a race (no refuelling was great for this effect).
I don't see a great downside from checking that the wheels move to a minimum angle on the scrutineering jig each Thursday. I think rules like the limited CoG window are more detrimental to the variation amongst cars.

miniminimum

I am pretty sure different cars have different steering angles, based on the drivers preference.

Greg Locock

As it happens I was working this out for a production car just recently. At 50 kph, in the linear range, the geometrical yaw gain was 27 deg/s/100 deg SWA. Once you add in tire effects it drops to 21. So ignoring tire slip makes the entire calculation nonsensical even at ~ 0.3g.