2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ME4ME

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Andres125sx wrote:^This. Also, it would make no sense to build a 2017 chassis at this point of the winter, they´re still in last phase of design process
I read that the Toro Rosso tub was already in production. I guess that might be the case at other teams as well, since there are only 9 weeks left before pre-season testing. Also crash tests most be done in time. The overal tub design probably would've been finalized quite long ago anyway.

Thunder

First Teams are Crash testing their Chassis before the Year is over.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

mrluke

Andres125sx wrote:^This. Also, it would make no sense to build a 2017 chassis at this point of the winter, they´re still in last phase of design process
The sense being that the carbon chassis has a massive lead time. In reality much the car design was probably frozen some months ago with the team already working on their upgrade packages.

bauc

mrluke wrote:
The sense being that the carbon chassis has a massive lead time. In reality much the car design was probably frozen some months ago with the team already working on their upgrade packages.
Yes, since it takes 6-8 weeks to bring up a update package (from the drawing board to the track)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mrluke

bauc wrote:
mrluke wrote:
Yes, since it takes 6-8 weeks to bring up a update package (from the drawing board to the track)
Not if includes a new monocoque!

But hey don't just take my word for it.
Head of Aerodynamics Mark Gillan explains: “The monocoque base design is fixed several months prior to the first track running of the new car, which allows for continuous development of all the other aerodynamic areas for bolt-on assemblies throughout the year. The monocoque is the longest lead time item for the complete car so it really is quite frozen.”
Great article on what it takes to make a new F1 car http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... ing-a-car/

Manoah2u

GoranF1 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:eh no. seat fitting in a standard monocoque.
what are the actual evidence that it is not 2017 chassis?
it's december 2016, a crash test has not been reported, we have untill april 2017 for the first race,
it is clearly visible in a photograph and might put the competition in a position of knowledge you don't want.
also, the color. you don't actually think that's carbon? and if it were, why paint it créme white.

what more but logic sense is needed apart from the above mentioned?

and as far as the monocoques being 'ready already', yeah.....like they'll show it to the world. c'mon.
and again, no airbox around it, no nothing.

could it be a CNC-foam/plastic model, where they'll fit the seat in? yes, probably.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mclaren111

EspnF1.com
Renault poaches Pilbeam from McLaren
On Thursday the team confirmed another new signing, with Pilbeam returning to Enstone, where he worked for the 2013 season when it was known as Lotus. He's previously had seven-year stints with Red Bull Racing and BAR Honda, while he most recently worked as chief race engineer at McLaren.
Anyone knows if this is a "great loss" ?? Is he easily replaceable ??

Joseki

He can be easily replaced by Andrea Stella.

taperoo2k

They need to get the crash tests done, so yes they will be building a 2017 chassis. Not one that will ever race as it's
just used to ensure the crash structures pass the tests. As for Stoff in the 2017 car ? Likely a mock up of what the cockpit of the car will be like. It's full steam ahead on the 2017 cars now. Short break for Christmas and New Year, then straight back into the thick of it.

Andres125sx

I was refering to the chassis/car. Maybe they´ve prepared a monocoque for the crash test, but that´s far from a 2017 car/chassis, no floor, no wings, no bargeboards, no brakes, no wheels, no suspensions, no PU...

A monocoque is just a monocoque, they can manufacture one while still developing aero so I´ll keep my previous statement, it would make no sense to build a 2017 chassis in december

Joseki

F1 engineers constantly monitor the performance of the other teams and the other drivers and are aware of every single trend and blip that happens in a season. They see the McLaren chassis improving, they see drivers flat lining in performance or dropping backwards, like Sebastian Vettel did, for example, through what appeared to be frustration as the 2016 season progressed.
They see an outstanding Alonso performance that netted a sixth place in an uncompetitive car and it stands out on their data analysis screens and they take every detail and every happening into account.
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/12/ ... s-f1-team/

mrluke

Andres125sx wrote:I was refering to the chassis/car. Maybe they´ve prepared a monocoque for the crash test, but that´s far from a 2017 car/chassis, no floor, no wings, no bargeboards, no brakes, no wheels, no suspensions, no PU...

A monocoque is just a monocoque, they can manufacture one while still developing aero so I´ll keep my previous statement, it would make no sense to build a 2017 chassis in december
You can't change the monocoque without re submitting for crash tests. Therefore there is no chance that it is still "in the design process" Sure wings, bargeboards etc will be but not the main chassis.

SR71

Some things to consider as we speculate over the Stoffel photo...

1) color, the color of the body work could mean we're looking at high density foam or clay. This could mean they machined some foam to be fairly accurate around the cockpit. Cheap and effective for ergonomic stuff, easy to modify or replace.

2) the "arm" in the background looks like some sort of 3D tool. Most likely has a tip that they can place around Stoffles body and interference points with the cockpit. These data points would be showing up in real time over a 3D model of the car on an engineers display off camera.

This leads me to believe the body work we see is fairly accurate to the "32" due to it being correlated to a 3D model in realtime.

I'm not saying this is an actual tub, just a surface accurate model - like how car companies make clay and foam models of production cars.

Andres125sx

mrluke wrote:You can't change the monocoque without re submitting for crash tests. Therefore there is no chance that it is still "in the design process" Sure wings, bargeboards etc will be but not the main chassis.
That´s what I´m saying. Maybe I´m misunderstanding some words. Please let me know if I´m correct when assuming:

Monocoque: basically the survival cell and I think it does include the lateral air inlets as a crash structure to protect the cockpit from a direct impact. A one piece carbon fiber part.
Chassis: In spanish we usually use it only for the frame, all the main structural parts of the car where everything is attached to (suspensions, engine, bodywork) but I think in english you also include the wings, floor, suspensions... and I was assuming this meaning. Monocoque, suspensions, bodywork, wings, floor... and not sure if something else

So even if that really is a 2017 monocoque, it´s just the survival cell, the rest of the car probably is still into some computer under development or CFD testing

PlatinumZealot

It was pretty understood that the seat fitting chassis is foam/clay and not the actual carbon one. I think its a 2017 copy though with steering mounting and pedal mountings identical to the real thing. Even where the gas tank and battery are located will affect the seating so these areas must be 2017 accurate.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏