2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Andres125sx wrote:I was refering to the chassis/car. Maybe they´ve prepared a monocoque for the crash test, but that´s far from a 2017 car/chassis, no floor, no wings, no bargeboards, no brakes, no wheels, no suspensions, no PU...
The fundamentals of the design will have been decided months ago, so they have a solid base from which to develop all the other parts to the car. Stoffel was likely in a mock up of the 2017 car or it could be the real deal. You'll likely find they've been making various parts to stress test and to look for design flaws for a while. No point leaving it until January as if you slip behind there, you don't have a lot of time to get a car ready for the first pre season test. You also have to factor in the track crews needing time to build, strip and rebuild the car. As far as the PU goes ? They will have been getting data from Honda for the simulator and other pertinent information. The design of the PU is probably not fully decided yet.
A monocoque is just a monocoque, they can manufacture one while still developing aero so I´ll keep my previous statement, it would make no sense to build a 2017 chassis in december
You need a solid platform to develop aero parts, which means the design of the 2017 car will have been decided months ago with the flexibility to change things if needed. Now it's a case of crash tests and production lead times on the various parts of the car, I expect they will start assembling the car as soon as they can.
We have no idea where McLaren is in terms of the design and build process, so everything could be moot.
All I can tell you is I have seen the carbon fibre shop at Williams, it's a sterile environment, with a lot of complex layering of carbon fibre and composite materials going on. Some parts were bagged and ready for the autoclaves.

mrluke
mrluke

Andres125sx wrote:
mrluke wrote:You can't change the monocoque without re submitting for crash tests. Therefore there is no chance that it is still "in the design process" Sure wings, bargeboards etc will be but not the main chassis.
That´s what I´m saying. Maybe I´m misunderstanding some words. Please let me know if I´m correct when assuming:

Monocoque: basically the survival cell and I think it does include the lateral air inlets as a crash structure to protect the cockpit from a direct impact. A one piece carbon fiber part.
Chassis: In spanish we usually use it only for the frame, all the main structural parts of the car where everything is attached to (suspensions, engine, bodywork) but I think in english you also include the wings, floor, suspensions... and I was assuming this meaning. Monocoque, suspensions, bodywork, wings, floor... and not sure if something else

So even if that really is a 2017 monocoque, it´s just the survival cell, the rest of the car probably is still into some computer under development or CFD testing
I would say when discussing parts of the car, the chassis would be the main "body" of the car that everything attaches to. In F1 the survival cell is really the chassis, i'm pretty sure the engine bolts up directly to the back of the survival cell and it extends pretty much to the end of the nose.

I think that the only time the chassis is said to include all of the bodywork, suspension etc etc is when we are talking about whether the cars performance is a "chassis" problem or an "engine" problem. This is really an over simplification to differentiate between the part of the car made by "the team" and the part sourced from an external supplier (the engine).

Hope that helps :)

Andres125sx

That makes sense and do clarify that difference between english and spanish, thank you MrLuke :)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ME4ME

So what's next for him? In an ideal world, a call from Peter Sauber to get his team in shape :P

mclaren111

Wonder how much money this is costing McLaren ?? :lol: :shock: :lol:

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

just read it yes. what an absolute mess at Mclaren. rediculous.

Interestingly , Capito was set to replace Bouillier had Ron Dennis kept his position.

After removing Ekram Sami and replacing his 40 year experience @ Mclaren alongside Dennis,
by a friggin lawyer firm partner called John Riches, and appointing American Zak Brown as Dennis replacement,
i'm frankly afraid to say that Mclaren is rather the scene of a power struggle / french Napoleonish political battlefield.

This is not good at all, and to be honest, could usher in the demise of Mclaren alltogether.
I wonder what MCL is aiming for.

I have the impression that all this crazy stuff has more to do with Mclaren the business itself, and not the racing team/sportscar 'soul' that it is/had.

Where will this end?

I'm actually fearing that chances are growing that Honda decides that they're not having any of this BS and not wanting
to be part in a potential Mclaren-Gate coming up regarding power struggle and dirty laundry coming out sooner or later.....which would mean Mclaren could end up without engine supplier..........

Something's not right here, and i'm rather curious what it really is all about.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

mclaren111

It's the cleaning up after Dennis era.

And with Boullier, Capito and Brown there are just to many "chiefs".

In keeping Boullier there is some consistency as he has been there the longest and have done some good work apparently.

Brown is an ex racing driver and business owner and Huge McLaren Fan and thus the best option going forward.

bauc

mclaren111 wrote:It's the cleaning up after Dennis era.

And with Boullier, Capito and Brown there are just to many "chiefs".
In keeping Boullier there is some consistency as he has been there the longest and have done some good work apparently.
Brown is an ex racing driver and business owner and Huge McLaren Fan and thus the best option going forward.
I agree, some clear cuts and some difficult choices must be made in order to move forward
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I'd keep Capito thousand times over Bouillier, especially regarding what Capito achieved versus what Bouillier achieved in F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Thunder

You have a Dartboard with Eric's Face on it at Home don't you? :D
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

diffuser

Just 1 dartboard????

hehehe

I don't see the big deal. He obviously hasn't been there long enough to do anything.

It appeared that Bouillier was gonna stay at the factory a bit more next year and Capito would be at most of the races. So that's NOT gonna change from this year.

It's hard to tell if the McLaren chassis improvements has been moving along as a good pace. I mean it obviously isn't anywhere near where it should be but I don't know at what point they started working on the 2017. In retrospective they had a traction issue at the rear that they never attempted to address. Much of the updates we saw in the later half of the year could have been 2017 items.

We all should have known going in that what happened in 2015 was a possibility. We all knew that the Chassis would suffer in that scenario (add to that, Peter had just arrived) and it would take Honda a couple of years to getup to speed. Hopefully we can make use of this regulation change and catch up. We should be going into 2017 firing on all cylinders. I expect the Honda PU to be able to give McHonda the ability to win races.

VFC_Cipher
VFC_Cipher

Capito was Ron's eyes and ears and with Ron out, his minions must go. Only way to clean house is to clean the whole house. Anyone loyal to Ron in executive positions poses a threat, real or implied, to Mr. Brown.

ME4ME

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote: I don't know at what point they started working on the 2017
A good source just told me it was in May for McLaren, even earlier for Honda