2017 F1 general testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ForMuLaOne

Re: 2017 F1 Pre-season testing February 27 - March 2/ March 7-10

McLaren Honda...

...one just need to be objective here. If a team struggles like this during testing, they have substantial flaws in their quality management that need to be sorted out. Same applies for Renault, having had two incidents in basically no time. I understand all the arguments from the " but it´s all new" section but while everyone feels pity for McLaren, Mercedes has covered more than half of the race distance already and Ferrari is just about to do so as well. Both teams have put a comparable amount of engine development into their concepts and they are running JUST FINE. If i was Alonso i would go mad again :wtf: #-o

Anthropolyte

Some classic back and forth on Twitter from Renault and Merc...

Quantum

FW17 wrote:I thought these guys would have the use of the company jet or atleast first class

https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/amp ... -costa.jpg

Aldo Costa flying cattle class shows precisely his humility and unassuming nature.
Another feather in his underrated cap I'd say.
"Interplay of triads"

Vasconia

It seems that Mercedes will make a huge amount of laps during those winters tests too.

A friend of mine has told me that Alonso is not going ot run more today, is this true? I see no references about it. I guess he is joking but its McLaren-Honda so I don´t know what to think.

mwillems

GoranF1 wrote:
bauc wrote:Bad start for Mclaren, hopefully they can fix the issue and do 20-30 laps by end of the day. De Ja Vu 2015 all over again, it all started with oil seal that was badly designed
How they didnt see this leak in their maaany hours of Dyno tests!!!
Has it been confirmed as a leak? It seems most likely but could it be sensor issues, problem with the pump or other parts of the system?
Also, and I'm asking because I have no idea, not to poke holes.. But will the dyno test the impact of heat on the system once it is integrated with the McLaren packaging and cooling technology? How accurate is the Honda Dyno at testing sustained corning forces mixed with the vibrations associated with track running and kerbs? It just seems to me that these test are perhaps a bit further away from real world parameters than maybe they should be, since Honda turn up each year with an engine that is very good, in theory.

Or maybe this is just a freak occurrence and won't happen again, and I say that just to give some benefit of the doubt.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Feb 2017, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

GoranF1

Honda PU is out already but reports say return to track today unlikely at the moment.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

turbof1

ForMuLaOne wrote:McLaren Honda...

...one just need to be objective here. If a team struggles like this during testing, they have substantial flaws in their quality management that need to be sorted out. Same applies for Renault, having had two incidents in basically no time. I understand all the arguments from the " but it´s all new" section but while everyone feels pity for McLaren, Mercedes has covered more than half of the race distance already and Ferrari is just about to do so as well. Both teams have put a comparable amount of engine development into their concepts and they are running JUST FINE. If i was Alonso i would go mad again :wtf: #-o
It is the first day of official testing. Of course you don't want this to happen, but if it does you'd preferable want it to happen on the first day as you can recuperate the lost time still.

Let's just wait what happens next. One single problem is not necessarily a symptom for more. So let's not dramatize this either.
#AeroFrodo

Silent Storm

The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

ncassi22

GoranF1 wrote:Honda PU is out already but reports say return to track today unlikely at the moment.
Reports by whom. On motorsport.com they say they plan to be out again today.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... ue-877619/

clipsy1H

As i said...Red Bull is so bad this year !

BTW: 1:23:370 from Bottas
Last edited by clipsy1H on 27 Feb 2017, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Anthropolyte

turbof1 wrote: Let's just wait what happens next. One single problem is not necessarily a symptom for more. So let's not dramatize this either.
Tend to agree. Yes, the issue appears to be with a fairly integral and vital part of the car - but Red Bull, Renault and Haas have all had problems as well. I think people are jumping to conclusions because it's McLaren.

Phil

turbof1 wrote:Let's just wait what happens next. One single problem is not necessarily a symptom for more. So let's not dramatize this either.
It's just not very confidence inspiring. Losing a day or close to it represents more than 10% being lost on this particular venue. Gone. If this were to happen to Mercedes, one would probably be less concerned because people expect them to be strong and having a strong past 3 seasons, they have a solid baseline to evolve their car.

McLaren hasn't. Their car and PU has gone through very dramatic changes. They are the only team running that engine, so any lack of running will hurt more. Some faults and issues just shouldn't happen and we'd hope not to a team that is already on the backfoot trying to close that gap.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

Ever since there has been a test ban, McLaren has never had a good winter

noxroxafox

Bottas just put a 1:23.169 on the boards, they're going for a new long run

taperoo2k

Goran2812 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
bauc wrote:Bad start for Mclaren, hopefully they can fix the issue and do 20-30 laps by end of the day. De Ja Vu 2015 all over again, it all started with oil seal that was badly designed
How they didnt see this leak in their maaany hours of Dyno tests!!!
That's exactly what I was thinking... They blabbered on and on how the engines are on dynos 24/7 and than after an hour of not even serious running they have teething problems... So amateurish from them...
You can run a PU on a dyno 24/7, but once you subject it to being packaged inside an F1 car and then
expose it to the lumps and bumps of a track then you may find issues. Tbh I think we've all become a little too accustomed
to F1 cars being almost bullet proof in terms of reliability. Amateurish ? That's a cheapshot and doesn't take into account that this is an entirely new concept from Honda and that teething issues should be expected, just McLaren's luck it happens to be an oil system issue. As I said better to have this happen on Day One of testing, then near the tail end. I'm sure McLaren and Honda will get the issue sorted and likely reduce the amount of time it takes to remove and replace the PU as the season progresses. I also expect that this isn't the final design specification for the Power Unit that will be used down under.