Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mattchu

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Looks like the exhaust system has been modified slightly and Mercedes are going through the exhaust like a number of other teams.
The amount of flat floor space at the rear is astonishing, although it doesn`t look like it lips up anymore!
Last edited by Mattchu on 23 Feb 2017, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

supermarine
supermarine

Fascinatingly organic looking 'cat fish whiskers' emerging from just after the upper front wishbone. I haven't see anything like them on any other car.

Sidepod undercut looks huge with very slim intakes. It'll be really interesting to see head on photo.

matt_s
matt_s

Lots of comments so far about how long it looks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they can make it work in yaw, then surely there is an aero benefit to packaging the car long+thin rather than short+fat. They can keep the airflow to the rear floor more under control for the new, larger diffusers.

geraldix
geraldix

I look at this car and all I can think is

On a more serious note, is it possible that Mercedes was the only team that realised this year's regulations allowed a comeback to the 2008's level of winglets? Guess we'll find out in the next few days...

Cenzo

The back is really different from the cars presented in these days.
Also looks a lot longer !

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Mercedes W08 Speculation Thread

Post by WaikeCU » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, actually, I'm wondering now...

I think this long wheelbase should be great for the whole race calendar, but I suppose a shorter wheelbase version could come in order just for Monaco (and maybe other streetcircuits) perhaps? Back in 2013 Lotus came with a shorter wheelbase version of the E21, which suited Kimi.
What I'm asking is, can this package be fitted on a wheelbased car just like the W06?
I Think that the E21 was with shorter wheelbase and they made it with longer wheelbase through the season. They've change the front suspension geometry and the nosecone.

What I am seeing here is that the front suspension of the W08 is quite in front of the nosecone mounting.

If they need they can change the geometry like Lotus did, but in opposite way.

But how are they going to shorten the rear... is the big question.

FW17

There is something wrong with the pictures today

Look how small the drivers look

f1316
f1316

geraldix wrote:I look at this car and all I can think is

http://i.imgur.com/EGFPFRa.jpg

On a more serious note, is it possible that Mercedes was the only team that realised this year's regulations allowed a comeback to the 2008's level of winglets? Guess we'll find out in the next few days...
If Ferrari haven't seen how their own concepts from 2008 are applicable, then they really do need putting out to pasture.

ajprice
ajprice

Holm86

To me it looks so much better without an extreme sharkfin, this car looks extremely developed. And its just a launch car.
Can't wait to see how these cars look after a few years with these regulations =D>

Im very excited for this season, at least from at technological point of view

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber
bosyber

Well I guess that explains some of why they gone for a more conventional suspension, using the extra 5 degrees to angle those whishbones, working with the intricate vane under it, and the barge-assembly

balalev
balalev

Front view

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ajprice
ajprice

Those mirror stalks!