Force India VJM10 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Force India VJM10 Mercedes

Via @ScarbsTech
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

diego.liv

The front of the car is already very detailed, they'll focus on the middle (bargeboards) and ends of the car. They know they can't outspend the 4 engine manufacturers plus RB

Sawtooth-spike

The Shark Fin looks like somebody said "yeah, That will do"

mostly likely a place holder, but it looks a little Rubbish.

Are they playing there cards close to there chest? Or have Budget issues / Pushing last year. Left them behind on this car?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

dren

As turbo said, looks like the kink in the nose is for suspension components. The front wing caries over their late wing from last year. The front outer floor raises up like the other cars just behind the barge board. The under chassis fins likely feed this? The sidepod inlets are similar to last year's Mercedes. The car isn't a looker, but it looks fairly well developed for a FI launch car.
Honda!

diego.liv

The Italian media claiming they stopped development on the VJM09 around May, no budget issues here just not that much importance for now

GPR-A duplicate2

diego.liv wrote:The Italian media claiming they stopped development on the VJM09 around May, no budget issues here just not that much importance for now
Critically, they upgraded their wind tunnel to 60%, which is the first time they are having!!!

Here is an interview with Vijay Mallya, from July 2016.
Force India focused on the future - exclusive Vijay Mallya Q&A
In terms of further developments we’ve now stopped it for the 2016 car, but already have a 60 percent model of the 2017 car in the wind tunnel. It is the first time in the history of this team that we have a 60 percent model. The 2017 regulations give us the opportunity for a brand new design and a whole different input. This will level the playing field for us.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 22 Feb 2017, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

Interesting Headrests: https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 1360540672 Sidepod Turning vanes look like there is more to come: https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 3948132353 And i think that Bump above the Front suspension will turn into an S-Duct sooner rather than later.
Last edited by Thunder on 22 Feb 2017, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

ScrewCaptain27

Rear cooling outlets look very small or completely absent, perhaps offset by the larger sidepods. Or could it be that the new Mercedes PU has very low cooling requirements?
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Is this just a shadow? I haven't seen any other pics of that section from a different angle.

diego.liv

Right the 60% wind tunnel. There you have it. FI has some clever minds, maintaining the 4th spot in WCC seems a tough task, but I reckon last year they began badly with points lost here and there. 5th should be the target

ScrewCaptain27

Sidepods are split internally, don't remember seeing that before. Overall this car is the most technically interesting so far IMO.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

tpe
tpe

So, they have a tunnel in the sidepods. I can only think 2 reasons:
a. Cooling (?)
b. Feed the defuser.

Unless someone else have a better educated guess on them....

Daliracing

It looks like the car has no rear end :wtf:

AMG.Tzan

I expect them to drop or at least streamline both the nose and the step!! Both seem to create a good amount of drag and drag is very important this year!!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis