2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
rekoildale

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

komninosm wrote:
Mr.G wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 16:42
komninosm wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 16:22
EXACTLY!
Vettel was managing his tyres exactly for this, he backed off to have clear air but when he needed he always was able to catch Hamilton. So if Hamilton would stay longer so would Vettel... What would happen then??? They can pit together or one of them get one lap sooner... Also one of them could go for SS tyres... How would it end? Well I don't have crystal ball...
I don't understand your answer. He and I already explained that they should pit Hamilton right when he could reliably clear Verstappen. Since Vettel was 2 seconds behind he would never be able to do it before Hamilton and get an undercut. And an over-cut is really hard to do with near equal cars. And there was no way to pass Hamilton on track. That's why as you said he fell back.
You cant say vet could not overtake ham. Hams tyres were gone and your talking about an extremely fast ferrari with 2 world champions fighting. This is very different to everyone else on the grid.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

shady

Re: 2017 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, 24 - 26 March

im of two minds, one i would love to see the floor freed up, but I would suggest that there be a maximum surface area for both the floor and front wing, and let the teams choose what their priorities are. all diffusers and strakes would be included, I dont know how practical it would be but thats just my idea, and the cars would look different. however the other part of me says, its not about easy overtakes, because thats not what we remember, we remember the battles that unfold over the course of 4/5 laps or more. a driver sizing up another for that moment. its never been easy, and we shouldnt worry about making it easier.. if they are the best, at what they are paid millions to do, then go do it. you dont have to follow directly behind the car in front of you.. there are multiple lines on a track to take.. adapt.. its not impossible, its just difficult... get on with it.

basti313

Re: 2017 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX Fri 24 – Sun 26 Mar 2017

komninosm wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 16:47
Mr.G wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 16:42
komninosm wrote:
26 Mar 2017, 16:22

EXACTLY!
Vettel was managing his tyres exactly for this, he backed off to have clear air but when he needed he always was able to catch Hamilton. So if Hamilton would stay longer so would Vettel... What would happen then??? They can pit together or one of them get one lap sooner... Also one of them could go for SS tyres... How would it end? Well I don't have crystal ball...
I don't understand your answer. He and I already explained that they should pit Hamilton right when he could reliably clear Verstappen. Since Vettel was 2 seconds behind he would never be able to do it before Hamilton and get an undercut. And an over-cut is really hard to do with near equal cars. And there was no way to pass Hamilton on track. That's why as you said he fell back.
You are missing Raikkonen and the gap to Ves in this discussion.
Don`t russel the hamster!

CLKGTR

Is new Ferrari engine really on Mercedes level? Maximum sector speeds analysis

https://maxf1.net/en/who-was-fastest-on ... straights/

Vasconia

CLKGTR wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 10:28
Is new Ferrari engine really on Mercedes level? Maximum sector speeds analysis

https://maxf1.net/en/who-was-fastest-on ... straights/
Difficult to judge which one is better because the aerodinamic configuration with more or less drag plays a basic role. But I would say that Mercedes is still the most powerful one.

CLKGTR

I agree...cars with their engines are too good at each speed measurement point...and teams run their aero configurations close to their maximum downforce in Melbourne...it will be interesting to compare the speeds in Shanghai

Force India is an exception with their draggy car, especially their wide sidepods

GoranF1

Hasegawa: It looked as if he was threatened by Ocon during 2nd half of the race, but actually he was deliberately letting Ocon come within 1sec of him to make Ocon use DRS, in order to prevent Ocon from being passed by Hulkenberg who was approaching from behind.
It was such extraordinary/inhuman driving
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."