2017 LMP1 front fenders

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
gambler

Re: 2017 LMP1 front fenders

Man...the thing I've had on my mind is the possibility of creating downforce by making a low psi zone under the fender. As you know flat bellys make lift, I've not seen any computer models of underbody flow on these issues.

zac510

Are you sure the reason for these boxy fenders is not simply to allow really wide front tyres and maintain a long wheelbase? The cars can push 400hp through the front wheels afterall so they must need a fair bit of grip for deployment and recovery.

Maritimer

Front wheels are 335mm wide, the goal of the fenders is to move the air horizontally. Audi made the last R18 tub so boxy and narrow for the same reason, and their LM pods pushed the air down as well to help keep it from going over the big honkin holes.

The fenders also have extensions to keep air from spilling back over the sidepod until they want it to ahead of the rear pods. Mirrors were mounted to them to help with legality I believe.