Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jerreclaus

Re: Ferrari 2018 concept with Aeroscreen

TAG wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 21:23
The only reservation I have with this shield is will we be able to clearly see drivers raising their fist in anger towards other drivers?
That's actually a very good point :lol: And indeed one of the few reasons why I'd prefer to not see these kind of devices on Formula 1 cars. Let's just hope wheel banging won't become the new standard, then!

void wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 03:20
Well, if an engine blows in front of you, you have a mandatory pitstop to do
Interesting comment, didn't really think of that. Would a dirt-repellent coating be a solution? And what about bugs and other grime... I'm anxious to find out what the test this weekend will bring to light.

F1NAC

That are some mad 3d modeling skills. Any chance for similar model being available in grabcad? Would like to know how experienced are you in Solidworks. And technoques used to model this beauty. Mega...

SiLo

CAn we get a view from inside the cockpit?
Felipe Baby!

jerreclaus

SiLo wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 10:40
CAn we get a view from inside the cockpit?
I didn't finish the interior, but here's a screen grab straight out of Keyshot. I made the Halo structure so that it follows the eye line of the driver, so from what I can simulate the view is the same as it is now. Added a standard environment for reference - though the street is not aligned, you get the picture.

Tim.Wright

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 05:33
Tim.Wright wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 22:25
The angle of the screen must be pretty close to total internal reflection.
what on earth are you talking about.
Read up on it - you might learn something.

Once you pass the critical angle you will only see a reflection of the inside of the cockpit rather than the outside world.
Not the engineer at Force India

jerreclaus

Tim.Wright wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 11:50
Manoah2u wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:

Once you pass the critical angle you will only see a reflection of the inside of the cockpit rather than the outside world.
It's true. I simulated it in my render software, the "dashboard" and Scuderia branding I put on top of it was all over the Shield (Screenshot has been posted but has to be reviewed first apparently). Maybe an anti-glare filter could help, but I'm just guessing.

Tiny73

That looks fantastic and certainly addresses the aesthetics problem that both the halo and shield (to a lesser extent) have presented.

My only challenge would be why you have RAI on the side, should be RIC or VER in 2018 surely? :D :shock: :wtf:

j2004p

Sorry to continue the general fawning over this design but as long as it is technically feasible this MUST be the new design going forwards.

The car looks glorious!

TAG

Looks a lot less "sexy" in the real life implementation.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Manoah2u

that's because

A) it's not an aeroscreen, it's a fighter jet canopy
B) it's an entirely different design, so referring to point A above
C) it's covered in tape or damaged
D) the car is not designed for this device, the render before is.

it's not similar so don't compare an apple with an orange or pear.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Tim.Wright wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 11:50
Manoah2u wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:

now i understand your point, i couldn't make any sense from that statement to be honest.

well, anti-glare, anti-reflection surely would do something. also, the cause of the reflection would be that the top of the 'monocoque' is glossy and reflective of nature, and thus reflects in the also-reflective (inner) part of the wind/aeroscreen.

anti-glare and de-mirror the wind.aero.screen AND anti-glare non-gloss the top of the monocoque where it's below the aeroscreen and i think you're immediately on a much better route.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

TAG

Manoah2u wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 19:00
that's because

A) it's not an aeroscreen, it's a fighter jet canopy
B) it's an entirely different design, so referring to point A above
C) it's covered in tape or damaged
D) the car is not designed for this device, the render before is.

it's not similar so don't compare an apple with an orange or pear.
Thanks for pointing out the ovious, I know it's not an "aeroscreen" but the FiA are not testing the "aeroscreen" for obvious reasons. The tape in the image I can't help, it's not broken by the way, but that doesn't stop you guessing at something you don't know about. None of the cars are designed for what's been tested because nothing has been approved. Not the Red Bull solution, not the flip-flop cage and not this. Thanks again though for feeling so negatively about seeing the images as being tested this weekend. ;)
Last edited by TAG on 13 Jul 2017, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Manoah2u

jerreclaus wrote:
13 Jul 2017, 09:12

I would love to make some other liveries but it is a little time consuming (set up and rendering) so don't wait up for it :D I'll see what I can do though. I reckon a Senna era Mclaren livery would kick candy covered balls on this one. The MP4-4 had a similar looking screen now that I think of it.
would look fantastic, sure but honestly, i don't think you should go for that primary,
simply because there's enough retro liveries out there and it's focusing the attention on something else
than your excellent work.

the attention must be in the design and implementation, putting a retro mclaren livery on it would only
focus on that.

Better put a RedBull livery from any on it, or a Mercedes livery. They're current day liveries, and they are
much easier to imagine being real, and would also gain more attention from the correct angles of interest.
meaning; the biggest objective is not pleasing fans, it's convincing the big guns [teams, fia, commercial side, etc].
you don't do that with ancient liveries.

implement those digital mirrors, hud, minimize the glare/reflection inside, let the drivers be visible, and see if there are other areas to gain.

i think it would be an immensly good opportunity to reconcider applying groundworks [floor-aero] of the old days too.
it would also bring aero possibilities being much more aerodynamic.

your design is the way to go, the others are just makedo solutions that won't do.

TAG

Here's a better shot of the windscreen, I made an extra effort to go get it for the one guy who was so incensed about the previous images.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Manoah2u

LOL. that does look better, would like to see a total shot though. appreciete the effort though :P