2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
foxmulder_ms

Re: 2017 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 28-30 July

wow, I think it will be a three horse race. There is almost nothing between the three teams.

mkay

Way too early to tell. Reminds me of Baku, where everyone was crowning RBR after Friday performance. Let's wait until FP3. Things could change quickly with track evolution...

Hammerfist

Sevach wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 21:56
Ferrari spotted something they didn't like on their turbo in Bahrain, it caused Kimi's engine failure, as to not take chances they fitted a new turbo to Vettel's car for that race (this turbo was of the same model of the old flawed one).
For Sochi both Ferrari drivers got a new turbo(number 3), one that had fixed this fragility.

For Barcelona Vettel was suppoused to get engine number 2, turbo 3 was installed to it.
In FP3 this engine failed to get going, the team didn't have the time to do a full inspection ahead of qualifying and opted for a wholesale engine change and re-fitted engine number 1, but this time fitted with another new turbo (i assume same spec as Sochi).

I believe turbos 3 and 4 are very much alive (Kimi is still using his Sochi turbo) i'm not sure if they can make it to the end of the season but it's not impossible.

If they find a turbo development that gives them .2 or more do they take a penalty? Probably, i would.
I just don't see how Vettel is going to do the remaining races without a penalty. Are they rotating just 4 turbos for the whole year? Imo that would be idiotic, as used items will lose efficiency over time and you are restricting development unless you agree to a penalty. I would guess and say that Vettel will get his 5th turbo and penalty at either Spa or Monza. Would be very shocked if they don't do it there.

Manjhi

Bottas looks like the fastest driver here, he will dominate the race if he gets the pole.

Red Bull is slightly slower than Ferrari, but they'll compensate that with strategy.

Mid-grid looks very competitive here, with Mclaren having possible chance of scoring points. But the SFI always keeps something in their pocket for the race.

PlatinumZealot

Hammerfist wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 16:27
Sevach wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 21:56
Ferrari spotted something they didn't like on their turbo in Bahrain, it caused Kimi's engine failure, as to not take chances they fitted a new turbo to Vettel's car for that race (this turbo was of the same model of the old flawed one).
For Sochi both Ferrari drivers got a new turbo(number 3), one that had fixed this fragility.

For Barcelona Vettel was suppoused to get engine number 2, turbo 3 was installed to it.
In FP3 this engine failed to get going, the team didn't have the time to do a full inspection ahead of qualifying and opted for a wholesale engine change and re-fitted engine number 1, but this time fitted with another new turbo (i assume same spec as Sochi).

I believe turbos 3 and 4 are very much alive (Kimi is still using his Sochi turbo) i'm not sure if they can make it to the end of the season but it's not impossible.

If they find a turbo development that gives them .2 or more do they take a penalty? Probably, i would.
I just don't see how Vettel is going to do the remaining races without a penalty. Are they rotating just 4 turbos for the whole year? Imo that would be idiotic, as used items will lose efficiency over time and you are restricting development unless you agree to a penalty. I would guess and say that Vettel will get his 5th turbo and penalty at either Spa or Monza. Would be very shocked if they don't do it there.
Keep in mind that the turbos don't have to be end of life to be removed from the engine. It is actually a good strategy to rotate them as much as Ferrari has been doing. You juggle the turbos to share the wear and tear amongst them more evenly; remember, different tracks are hard on different components.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Phil wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 15:23
Is there any indication of long run pace so far? I am watching the Italian live broadcast and don't understand a word so I have no clue as to where the teams stand...

Looks like it's going to be a very close weekend though....
Nah... I see Hamilton romping off into the Hungarian sunset. The secret to Hungary is don't set your car up for the race until FP3.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 17:29
Keep in mind that the turbos don't have to be end of life to be removed from the engine. It is actually a good strategy to rotate them as much as Ferrari has been doing. You juggle the turbos to share the wear and tear amongst them more evenly; remember, different tracks are hard on different components.
I would add that depends on philosophy. If you don't let components naturally wear, you will not find their design flaws and would be left with four Turbos with the same inherent flaw.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

formula1fanaticxx

GoranF1 wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 12:33
What time CET press confarence starts and is there a stream?
i was watching http://www.sporttwin.info/p/formula-1-h ... tream.html also it should be on Formula 1 youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Formula1

NathanOlder

I think Lewis learned last year , dont show your full potential until Saturday afternoon. So many times in 2014 and 15 he complained that Nico was copying his set up or driving techniques to help him on the sunday.
I know that works both ways, but if you feel you are better than the other guy, then you hold 1% back.

We've seen Lewis do that a lot in the last 12 months.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

Good point(s), thanks guys.

I've done a bit of reading in the mean time. It seems in FP2 Hamilton did not do a representative quick lap on the SS? I heard on the post-FP2 sky report that Hamilton was hampered by red-flags etc. Maybe he failed to bring the tires into the ideal working range when it counted that meant he failed to improve on his time set on the S tire?

Pole is gonna be important too. Bottas does indeed look comfortable. So does Ricciardo. What was with Max?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

TAG

Phil wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 18:21
I've done a bit of reading in the mean time. It seems in FP2 Hamilton did not do a representative quick lap on the SS?
Yeah his best time is on the S compound.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

godlameroso

McLaren seem to be in the same place they've always been, slower than TR, and FI, but slightly ahead of Williams. Alonso was doing 24's where TR, and FI drivers were in the 23's, Renault is all over the place so hard to gauge their speed, but Hulkenberg seems to qualify well. Sauber is last.

Between Red Bull, Ferrari, and Mercedes, same story. Vettel and Raikkonen seem evenly matched, with Vettel being slightly faster, the Mercedes have the best pace out of the 3 teams, Red Bull is slower than both Ferrari and Mercedes. Vettel is clearly not happy with the car though so they may improve for the rest of the weekend.

It'll be close in qualifying tomorrow, both Ferrari and Mercedes have time in hand, looks like pole will be in the mid to high 16's, low 17's.
Saishū kōnā

BanMeToo

Side note - Brundle is still apparently recovering from whatever happened to him in Silverstone, which is a great shame. Croft + di Resta on Sky was a very uninspired duo last time. Brundle is the far better commentator when compared to either of them.

GPR-A duplicate2

Should be an easy one for Mercedes, barring any drama. Long run times, especially for Bottas shows a large gap to Ferrari and then Red Bull. One thing is for sure, Unlike RB, both Merc and Ferrari would be running their PU components in a very conservative mode. The situation is so reminiscent of Baku.

Here are the long run times.

Xwang

TAG wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 17:33
PlatinumZealot wrote:
28 Jul 2017, 17:29
I would add that depends on philosophy. If you don't let components naturally wear, you will not find their design flaws and would be left with four Turbos with the same inherent flaw.
I think that they study the wearing of components on dynos where as far as I know they can run how much engines as they want and all the teams try to avoid to have a failure during a race or a qualification.