2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PinkFloydPulse
-1
User avatar
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:47 pm
Location: Zagreb/Croatia

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by PinkFloydPulse » Thu May 10, 2018 7:54 pm

Reminds me of the pigs from angry birds
Team Fernando!

DiogoBrand
93
User avatar
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 6:02 pm
Location: Brazil

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by DiogoBrand » Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 pm

DiogoBrand wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:46 am
GoranF1 wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:01 am
The article speculates of Force India/Mercedes hybrid nose design.
Anyone got an opinion on that?
I certainly hope not, one car with those nostrils is already ugly enough. It could be a blend between a Mercedes nose with their own slotted pillars, or a hybrid between their current nose with Mercedes' cape. Introducing a cape seems large enough that it could delay an entire aero package.
At least I was right about the cape.

Monster Hesh
5
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Monster Hesh » Thu May 10, 2018 8:09 pm

Maybe all of camera mount should be painted black .

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm

You can see the Mercedes similarity
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Alonso Fan
43
User avatar
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Alonso Fan » Thu May 10, 2018 8:44 pm

Ground Effect wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm
You can see the Mercedes similarity
Actually I was referring to the shape of the nose inlets and Wallace's mouth opening...
MVRC - SHM Racing

Monster Hesh
5
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Monster Hesh » Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 pm

How many race weekends do we think before they are able to use this design optimally? This was meant to be on the car in Melbourne, so they are already 4 races behind. Maybe not until Austria before they can start extracting peak performance from it?

BrunoH
9
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:18 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by BrunoH » Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 pm

i think by the time they start the race should be close to what it optimal can do.

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Thu May 10, 2018 9:07 pm

It seems Red Bull have a significant upgrade package, as well. So it will be interesting to see if Mclaren can make any net gains on them, but I think the focus would be trying to jump the midfield. That in itself won't be easy.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McL-H
5
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:18 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by McL-H » Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 pm

They will get more familiair with and optimise the setup during next weeks test. But hopefully they can already extract most out of it this weekend.. even more important: hopefully it works as expected. Props anyway to McLaren for being innovative, finding the boundaries and being brave. I have given them a lot of flak for this season’s performance so far. But they deserve credit for coming up with such a huge unconservative update. Regardless of the performance. This is why I am fan of this team. And this is what I’ve missed of them from several years.

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Thu May 10, 2018 9:36 pm

McL-H wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 pm
They will get more familiair with and optimise the setup during next weeks test. But hopefully they can already extract most out of it this weekend.. even more important: hopefully it works as expected. Props anyway to McLaren for being innovative, finding the boundaries and being brave. I have given them a lot of flak for this season’s performance so far. But they deserve credit for coming up with such a huge unconservative update. Regardless of the performance. This is why I am fan of this team. And this is what I’ve missed of them from several years.
I agree with you on that, the end product of the much awaited upgrade package gives the indication of a team pushing to get back to winning ways. From various comments, it appears the jury is still out on the looks, but it's certainly not underwhelming. Let's hope the delay was worth it, and Mclaren will be part of conversations for the right reasons.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

604gtir
5
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by 604gtir » Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 pm

are there enough bits for both cars?

Macklaren
14
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Macklaren » Thu May 10, 2018 9:59 pm

604gtir wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 pm
are there enough bits for both cars?
Well they built Stoff’s car for scrutineering. Can’t imagine them not giving Alo the upgrade.

Vanja #66
312
User avatar
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:38 pm
Location: BGD, SRB

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Vanja #66 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:10 pm

What's the most famous orange McLaren, prior to Dennis era?
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

RonDennis
41
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by RonDennis » Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 pm

Monster Hesh wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:57 pm
How many race weekends do we think before they are able to use this design optimally? This was meant to be on the car in Melbourne, so they are already 4 races behind. Maybe not until Austria before they can start extracting peak performance from it?
It has to be this weekend. McLaren is just trying to downplay the upgrade, but it's clearly huge. They are aiming for huge gains with this b-spec, not just a couple of tenths.

PhillipM
317
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 2:18 pm
Location: Over the road from Boothy...

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by PhillipM » Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 pm

I'd imagine it'll take a while to get the most out of setup work - given the nose is a very different concept