2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
radosav

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

PhillipM wrote:
10 May 2018, 23:57
I'd imagine it'll take a while to get the most out of setup work - given the nose is a very different concept
A lot of flow wiz paint will be used.

Del Boy

radosav wrote:
10 May 2018, 23:59
PhillipM wrote:
10 May 2018, 23:57
I'd imagine it'll take a while to get the most out of setup work - given the nose is a very different concept
A lot of flow wiz paint will be used.
Firstly it will be checked for correlation. If that’s correct (within 0.5%) then the Wind tunnel and CFD settings will be used which should be very close to optimal. Fine tuning for FA and SV feel and style.

zoroastar

i assume that the upgrade includes a new floor design. has anyone said anything definate on that?

judging from alonso's comments in the press conference i think they are expecting a good jump in speed. which makes me remember the mclaren driver stating that it was a second faster in the simulator. for the last couple of weeks i havent expected as much, but now there is a glimmer of hope... maybe..

RonDennis

I don't why people are talking about unlocking the update. The update is there to unlock the potential and yes you can optimize some things, but if McLaren still sucks after this weekend, the update has failed, it as simply as that. According to Marca the update was planned for China, but got delayed because of correlation issues.

Macklaren

RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 01:00
I don't why people are talking about unlocking the update. The update is there to unlock the potential and yes you can optimize some things, but if McLaren still sucks after this weekend, the update has failed, it as simply as that. According to Marca the update was planned for China, but got delayed because of correlation issues.
Huh? Wat do they have to correlate to without putting it on the car?

Xero

RonDennis wrote:
Was it correlation issues? I thought it was reported it was unexpected lead times during the manufacturing process? I'd assume due to adjustments required for passing the troublesome crash tests. Correlation has been good over the last few years, don't see why that has dramatically changed this year (although Red Bull last year did show it can happen).

Xero

Macklaren wrote:
11 May 2018, 01:34
RonDennis wrote:
Between CFD simulations and the wind tunnel is the only place that it's even possible at this stage, but it's highly unlikely.

RonDennis

Macklaren wrote:
11 May 2018, 01:34
RonDennis wrote:
They have introduced more parts this season, which probably didn't correlate. This means that the new update had to be changed as well.

PhillipM

It was lead times, you can see how many of the parts are still being faired in and finished even now at the track.

RonDennis

PhillipM wrote:
11 May 2018, 02:03
It was lead times, you can see how many of the parts are still being faired in and finished even now at the track.
Longer lead times because of bad correlation. Bad correlation seems likely in my opinion, would explain their terrible pace so far. Why else would you delay the update for Melbourne until Spain.

PhillipM

Their pace hasn't been terrible though, it's been pretty damned good for an interim car with a rushed engine swap, race pace is top of the midfield.
I haven't heard anyone at the factories even mutter anything about correlation issues.

The nose was delayed because it failed crash tests, so they had to go through iterations + respective lead times. Which is why they only bolted an interim part of the new turning vanes on whilst they waited for it.

DFX
DFX

I think you guys are pushing too much the bad correlation thing, everything that went to the car in FP sessions stayed in the car. That for me means pretty good correlation.

RonDennis

PhillipM wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:23
Their pace hasn't been terrible though, it's been pretty damned good for an interim car with a rushed engine swap, race pace is top of the midfield.
I haven't heard anyone at the factories even mutter anything about correlation issues.

The nose was delayed because it failed crash tests, so they had to go through iterations + respective lead times. Which is why they only bolted an interim part of the new turning vanes on whilst they waited for it.
We're talking about a team that had the "best chassis" in 2017 and has a race winning engine now, while they haven't entered Q3 once and are fighting with teams like Haas, Force India and Toro Rosso.

When did it fail the crash test?

In fact, this new update should have arrived at the third race of the year, in China, but it has been delayed because it had to be revised, since the track data did not correspond to what the wind tunnel predicted.
http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/gp- ... b45e8.html

flmkane

RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:27
PhillipM wrote:

We're talking about a team that had the "best chassis" in 2017 and has a race winning engine now, while they haven't entered Q3 once and are fighting with teams like Haas, Force India and Toro Rosso.

In fact, this new update should have arrived at the third race of the year, in China, but it has been delayed because it had to be revised, since the track data did not correspond to what the wind tunnel predicted.
Damn dude you are really salty about being fired by those Arabs.

Why don't you chill out and make some paintings. Using only black, grey and white.

(kidding. I know you ain't the real Ron Dennis. Your sentences are too short)

RonDennis

flmkane wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:37
RonDennis wrote:
11 May 2018, 03:27
PhillipM wrote:

Damn dude you are really salty about being fired by those Arabs.

Why don't you chill out and make some paintings. Using only black, grey and white.

(kidding. I know you ain't the real Ron Dennis. Your sentences are too short)
Not being salty and I didn't expect them beating Mercedes, Ferrari of Red Bull, but let's not act like this season has been great. Seeing Alonso and Vandoorne being 13th and 14th in quali just looks sad.