2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RonDennis

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Ricciardo won't come to McLaren, he wouldn't be that stupid. That is if he actually cares more about winning championships and less about money. Not that he really stands a chance against Verstappen, but it's probably still a bigger chance than winning the championship in a McLaren right now.

ALO_Power

RonDennis wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 16:05
Ricciardo won't come to McLaren, he wouldn't be that stupid. That is if he actually cares more about winning championships and less about money. Not that he really stands a chance against Verstappen, but it's probably still a bigger chance than winning the championship in a McLaren right now.
He stands a ton against Verstappen. Only from Max's mistakes/inconsistency he could easily win a championship battle against him imo.

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 14:38
diffuser wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 13:59
adrianjordan wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 10:51
I still think Daniel could sign a 2 year deal with McLaren, his stock is strong enough that he could take that risk, with an eye on Mercedes or Ferrari in 2021 if McLaren don’t become contenders in that time.
I don't see where McLaren have the cash to do that.
If Fernando leaves then they get the cash by not having to pay him.

Otherwise, they get the cash from their very wealthy backers. But I only see Daniel joining the team if Fernando leaves.
Yeah and I don't believe ALO will leave either. It's all just Hype.

Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
Maybe he's that stupid after all ... or just being polite?
:wink:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... a-1047180/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Manoah2u

M840TR wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 09:24
Redbull just confirmed Honda switch; such a nightmare for Mclaren. Happened exactly as predicted. They served as a mule.
the moment Mclaren showed motivation to split with Honda, you could smell from miles away they'd be heading to RedBull. They're in the same town for crying out loud.

Mclaren wasn't a test mule for Honda, Mclaren was unreasonable with their demands in a very stressfull, changing, and chaotic environment there. Unfortunately there are only losers; Honda lost out due to unreasonable demands with Mclaren, Mclaren lost out due to their unreasonable demands paired to (human) error @ Honda causing delays which there was and still isn't time for, and Alonso lost out in being again at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Dennis lost because heads must fall, Fans lost out due to disappointing results, and (potential) Sponsors are let down due to disappointing results.

Honda also lost out due to the breakup with Mclaren getting negative press, and a development stagnation and uncertainty. Mclaren lost out due to negative press and a new engine provider (they chose themselves) causing development stagnation.

There are only 2 ways things can go now: either continue to get worse, or get better for either or both of them.

RedBull CAN get the lid on it if the Honda engine disappoints massively compared to Renault. yes, that is still, very much, a possibility. The Renault engine might be surprisingly a golden goose next year, and the Honda a disaster. who knows. Mclaren CAN get worse in seeing that instead of improving with the Renault partnership and competing against RedBull, that if the Honda engine is better, they won't have a chance still. And see their former partner miles ahead.

On the other hand, the Honda partnership can be magnificent for RedBull and they could even have some dominance, imagine that. At the same time, that Renault engine STILL could become a wonder and slingshot Mclaren to dominance or to P1 next year. Offcourse the question remains, where does Renault themselves stand in all of this, but that's another story.

Would i bet on any of it? no, it can go all directions.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

mclaren111 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 15:27
Andrew Benson:
A stat or two at the one-third point of the season: Fastest car, taking average of each team's fastest lap of a weekend: Ferrari. Mercedes +0.052; Red Bull +0.294; Renault +1.316; Force India +1.645; Has +1.764; McLaren +1.908; Toro Rosso +2.141; Sauber +2.564; Williams +2.659

Ouch :wink:

Hope we have a good weekend !!
And you buy McLaren is 6 tenths down Renault?

Not even in saturdays IMO

makecry

Andres125sx wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 17:12
mclaren111 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 15:27
Andrew Benson:
A stat or two at the one-third point of the season: Fastest car, taking average of each team's fastest lap of a weekend: Ferrari. Mercedes +0.052; Red Bull +0.294; Renault +1.316; Force India +1.645; Has +1.764; McLaren +1.908; Toro Rosso +2.141; Sauber +2.564; Williams +2.659

Ouch :wink:

Hope we have a good weekend !!
And you buy McLaren is 6 tenths down Renault?

Not even in saturdays IMO
McLaren has been more or less on Renault's pace and a bit better on Sundays. Saturday's yeah, McLaren has sucked.

Big Tea

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 16:40
RonDennis wrote:
Maybe he's that stupid after all ... or just being polite?
:wink:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ricc ... a-1047180/
Take that as-

"I'm not going to say 'no, it doesn't interest me at all'," he said. "Probably more 'cause [of] what Lewis was able to do with Mercedes. ~and I want to screw as much as I can out of Helmut
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GoranF1

Was traction control in F1 during 2005 and 06?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Jolle

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 15:13
Jolle wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 14:53
If Alonso leaves McLaren needs a top driver, not just for the performance but most of all to keep relevant for potential sponsors and investors.
Hamilton won’t go anywhere near McLaren, Vettel is secure at Ferrari, Max is tied down at RedBull so that just leaves RIC.
That's very logical from a Mclaren perspective, but is it from a Daniel Ricciardo perspective? We've been given the impression that he's desperate to be in a car to win him a World Championship, that description doesn't fit Mclaren. So apart from the 20 million reasons being touted, why would he go to Mclaren?
None, he doen's strike as a driver who avoids a challenger as a team mate (verstappen). Hence McLaren's problem.

Ground Effect

GoranF1 wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 17:36
Was traction control in F1 during 2005 and 06?
Yep, banned from 2008 season.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Ground Effect

Andrew Benson (biggest fan and expert concerning all things Fernando Alonso) is reporting the Mclaren-Daniel Ricciardo story as well. His article has a tone of it being a fact, not a rumour, that there are actual talks. He's suggesting it's depends on if Fernando leaves F1.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44565763

Big Tea

The thing that comes to mind after reading that is Alonso obviously does not fancy his chanced in that car and if probably off,
So why would Dan?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect

Big Tea wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:22
The thing that comes to mind after reading that is Alonso obviously does not fancy his chanced in that car and if probably off,
So why would Dan?
Exactly! Except Daniel is in it for the money, or they're selling him a convincing 2021 project. Kinda like Mercedes did with Lewis, only this one will take a year longer than Lewis'

Alonso Fan

Ground Effect wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:32
Big Tea wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 18:22
So why would Dan?
Exactly! Except Daniel is in it for the money, or they're selling him a convincing 2021 project. Kinda like Mercedes did with Lewis, only this one will take a year longer than Lewis'
yes and the fact that mercedes' project actually worked.... really really well
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa