2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser
170
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by diffuser » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:47 am

techman wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 am
It YOUR opinion that he created false expectation, it is YOUR opinion that is a bad thing and it is YOUR opinion he has no respect. Yet this forum has more entries that RBR,STR,Sauber and FI combined. So is it bad or brilliant? Just because you don't like something it, doesn't make it bad.
funny, i suggest go to the mclaren twitter feed and read mclaren fans talking about firing eric and zak. these are mclaren die hard fans who have felt those expectation that mclaren gave but did not live up to it this year. just have a read and then you will see its not only my opinion.
It was popular to stone prostitutes in the time of the roman empire.... didn't make it right.

zoroastar
17
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:04 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by zoroastar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:47 am

RonDennis wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:55 pm
Ground Effect wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:47 pm
RonDennis wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:36 pm


Eric Boullier is responsible for car development, so I don't understand why people want him to stay. It simple: fix the problems or gtfo.
Tim Goss was fired, should Eric have been fired instead?
Well, Boullier should be allowed to fire people, I don't have a problem with that. I'm simply missing a plan, he's still talking about experiments and projects, but does he know that the season has actually started?
honestly, people talk like they have all the inside goings on at mclaren and they dont. plain and simple. people want people fired, even though they have no clue what the problem is, or if said firings would do anything to change things. if you are missing a plan, get used to it. no f1 team ever gave out details about anything. people take the fact that they arent getting any crazy rumours that heads will roll as "nothing is being done". people complain when mclaren talk about how good their chassis was in 2017, and then bitch because this year the heads have backed off and arent running their mouths about everything, every week. some people are never happy, and nothing short of winning races, in the first year with a completely different power unit will stop them from bitching. and then there are the d-bags that were never a fan of mclaren that have to throw in their 2 cents about nothing, just to make their ignorance known. everyone is frustrated, i am too, but just because nobody is "on the chopping block" this week, doesnt mean that they dont know that they really are, and the pressure is on them to produce. in f1 no one is safe, and EB knows he isnt. people have no choice but to let it play out, and try not to complain nonstop.

zoroastar
17
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:04 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by zoroastar » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:03 am

a team is going to show unity in the public, but anyone with half a brain is going to know that their job isnt safe if the team is under-performing. firing heads in the middle of the season is going to be a disaster for everyone, and affect driver contracts and other members that may not want to deal with what would end up being another wasted season only 7 races in. if mclaren get 4th or 5th this season, which is a strong possibility, they are worlds ahead of where they have been for the past 3 years. and yet this season is over already from listening to everyone in here. if mclaren develope as well as they have in recent seasons the 2nd half will be much better than the first. just like Fernando said in race 1.

Alonso Fan
43
User avatar
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Alonso Fan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:11 am

If they can qualify in 11th that will be much better for them than getting into q3 considering the fact that they're most likely going to be bottom of q3 anyway
MVRC - SHM Racing

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:57 am

techman wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:52 pm
How exactly? In designing the car? For reliability issues? Switching to Renault? He didn't design the car, or decide on the switch, Mansour Ojjeh pushed for the switch. He started putting pressure on them as early as pre season 2017. He thought his good relationship with Mercedes hierarchy would get them a deal. Eric does exactly what Christian Horner does, if the car doesn't go fast would you blame Horner? If the switch to Honda doesn't pay off should Horner get fired?
I think you just have a thing for people getting fired. You want Eric fired, Zak fired, Fernando fired, Hartley fired over at STR...
reasons for firing eric b
1. creating false expectations of competing for podiums with renault switch.
2. lack of respect from team members at ground level. you need to earn respect but eric b just cant. team is not under control. no one is in charge .
I'm pretty sure Zak talked about fighting for podiums as well. As a team, that was their target and expectation, how on earth you came to the conclusion that said target was CREATED by Eric I don't know. Oh, because he's the one who gets interviewed the most? I think you should stop relying on details you cannot confirm.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

techman
-16
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:25 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by techman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 am

I'm pretty sure Zak talked about fighting for podiums as well. As a team, that was their target and expectation, how on earth you came to the conclusion that said target was CREATED by Eric I don't know. Oh, because he's the one who gets interviewed the most? I think you should stop relying on details you cannot confirm.
obviously if i try to list all eric bs comments last year, i would not enough space. he was the mouth piece that created the bs expectations. obviously he was told by his engineers from what they found with their overated simulations that were wrong. he believe them and told the world even going over the top. mclaren fans believe it so did their team members and now we hear team member are revolting inside and the mclaren fans are not happy. if you want proof go and check the mclaren twitter feed. well now from eric mouth he is saying the this car is not what they expected, funny. so there you go.

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:08 am

techman wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 am
It YOUR opinion that he created false expectation, it is YOUR opinion that is a bad thing and it is YOUR opinion he has no respect. Yet this forum has more entries that RBR,STR,Sauber and FI combined. So is it bad or brilliant? Just because you don't like something it, doesn't make it bad.
funny, i suggest go to the mclaren twitter feed and read mclaren fans talking about firing eric and zak. these are mclaren die hard fans who have felt those expectation that mclaren gave but did not live up to it this year. just have a read and then you will see its not only my opinion.
... The funniest part in all this is that you've admitted you're not a fan, but spend so much time around all things Mclaren, even their twitter feed, just to enjoy, gauge and confirm the negativity levels around the team. Anyways, whatever floats your boat, keep doing you.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

makecry
39
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by makecry » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:27 am

Ground Effect wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:08 am
techman wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 am
It YOUR opinion that he created false expectation, it is YOUR opinion that is a bad thing and it is YOUR opinion he has no respect. Yet this forum has more entries that RBR,STR,Sauber and FI combined. So is it bad or brilliant? Just because you don't like something it, doesn't make it bad.
funny, i suggest go to the mclaren twitter feed and read mclaren fans talking about firing eric and zak. these are mclaren die hard fans who have felt those expectation that mclaren gave but did not live up to it this year. just have a read and then you will see its not only my opinion.
... The funniest part in all this is that you've admitted you're not a fan, but spend so much time around all things Mclaren, even their twitter feed, just to enjoy, gauge and confirm the negativity levels around the team. Anyways, whatever floats your boat, keep doing you.
TFW you as a "fan" don't watch team's twitter feed or the responses to it but someone who doesn't call him a fan has more idea about it than you do. :lol:

techman
-16
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:25 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by techman » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:43 am

iam neither a fan nor a hater. i would like to view current mclaren struggle in realistic manner. mclaren should have said this year with renualt is going to be a rebuilding year and next year trying to get close to front. rather they went all out "gang bang". claiming they have a top chassis and with a renault they could even beat redbull in some races. it was zak who mentioned this to sky reporter. if you raise expectations. expect people who believed in it will watch closely and if you fail , those people will question and revolt. and thats whats happening now. i always believed, talk less and deliver results will gain peoples confidence.

JonoNic
11
User avatar
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by JonoNic » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:43 am

Techman you are talking nonsense. This team is under stress and in disarray. Firing people will just make the situation worse and isolate the staff. There are other solutions, before going on a firing spree, like lower level engineers taking ownership of their expertise and not treated like pawns. Heck you just want to fire Eric... Where's the debrief to discuss failures if you do that? Will someone who just got fired discuss any failures. How will you fix those failures with just bringing a new guy in who has to learn team dynamics from scratch? Yes motorsport is fast paced, but it's still a business and businesses has processes
Always find the gap then use it.

restless
18
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 8:12 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by restless » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:03 am

EB defenders are so funny
According to them he has NO responsibilities, just given from God right to fire and give embarrassing interviews

Zynerji
58
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Zynerji » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:04 am

Eric has dropped drastically in my opinion since his work at Lotus. I was a big fan, but after the revelations that Honda could have solved their reliability issues with a bit more space, and being told "absolutely not", he deserves to be terminated.

That single mistake has cost McLaren untold millions in points revenue, sponsorship, fan interest, reputation and status.

Not to mention handing a top competitor the finished product (4cm longer Honda) to take the glory paid for by McLaren pain.

Yes, fire EB asap. I'd be after James Key!

Ground Effect
100
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Ground Effect » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:03 am

Zynerji wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:04 am
Eric has dropped drastically in my opinion since his work at Lotus. I was a big fan, but after the revelations that Honda could have solved their reliability issues with a bit more space, and being told "absolutely not", he deserves to be terminated.

That single mistake has cost McLaren untold millions in points revenue, sponsorship, fan interest, reputation and status.

Not to mention handing a top competitor the finished product (4cm longer Honda) to take the glory paid for by McLaren pain.

Yes, fire EB asap. I'd be after James Key!
EB is to Franz Tost as Tim Goss is to James Key. You can't fire EB and hire James Key....
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Big Tea
67
User avatar
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Big Tea » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:07 am

I think the 'problems' at Mclaren are from far higher than Eric. Even if they did not start there, it is where they have not been sorted out from.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

Redragon
48
User avatar
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:23 am

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Post by Redragon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 am

the problem of Mclaren is to have a rich shareholders that are happy to throw as much money away thinking that will resolve the problem but they forgot what it is their purpose.
If you don't have and objective and know why you do it. You can't motivate and inspire others to reach that objective.