2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Redragon wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 11:59
the problem of Mclaren is to have a rich shareholders that are happy to throw as much money away thinking that will resolve the problem but they forgot what it is their purpose.
If you don't have and objective and know why you do it. You can't motivate and inspire others to reach that objective.
No way are the shareholders happy to throw money and they have never had to throw much money in the past as the team had lucrative sponsorship deals and was self sustaining while winning races. Why were they handing out 25p Freddo as reward to staff if they had such money.
Fact is the workforce isnt top notch anymore and the upper management are even worse and know they cannot motivate the team. Kinda funny how it has come to bite back at Macca, Neale telling all staff before 2017 season that it was all Honda's fault and the other fatsos constantly trying to push Honda out of F1 by manilulating the media which Zak owns. Now that the media tasted blood is back for more, and rightly so, they should be asking for Eric, Zak and other leaders heads everytime they fail to get a podium or top 6 position or when they fail to get to Q3.

RonDennis

restless wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 10:03
EB defenders are so funny
According to them he has NO responsibilities, just given from God right to fire and give embarrassing interviews
Exactly, how is it even possible that more heads hasn't rolled when your goal was to be clear 4th. They convinced the shareholders to drop Honda and their money, because they would be at least close to Red Bull on some tracks. How can you defend something like that?

McMika98 wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 12:28
Redragon wrote:
the problem of Mclaren is to have a rich shareholders that are happy to throw as much money away thinking that will resolve the problem but they forgot what it is their purpose.
If you don't have and objective and know why you do it. You can't motivate and inspire others to reach that objective.
No way are the shareholders happy to throw money and they have never had to throw much money in the past as the team had lucrative sponsorship deals and was self sustaining while winning races. Why were they handing out 25p Freddo as reward to staff if they had such money.
Fact is the workforce isnt top notch anymore and the upper management are even worse and know they cannot motivate the team. Kinda funny how it has come to bite back at Macca, Neale telling all staff before 2017 season that it was all Honda's fault and the other fatsos constantly trying to push Honda out of F1 by manilulating the media which Zak owns. Now that the media tasted blood is back for more, and rightly so, they should be asking for Eric, Zak and other leaders heads everytime they fail to get a podium or top 6 position or when they fail to get to Q3.

It's about the fact that you're messed up in the head when you hand out Freddo's to grown up's to show that they have been doing a good job. I certainly would be offended, I rather someone just thanked me personally than giving me a 15p Freddo. It's all about respect, something Boullier doesn't have.

Big Tea

McMika98 wrote:
Redragon wrote:
Don't know about'the workforce isn't top notch anymore'. Have they failed to produce what was asked of them to spec and on time? (They may have, but I have not read of it)

Teams and workforces lack motivation when they can see their efforts are not producing results. It is human nature to be down if you think your efforts are wasted. Once they start winning, or at least seeing benefit and fighting towards, if not at the front, it will return.

The fiasco with Whitmarsh would never have happened if there was not conflict within the lower ranks of the company, if handled properly it should never become public knowledge and action not even required as workers follow good leaders and 'stirrers' get short shift.

I ( and I doubt most of us) do not have a clue what is wrong there, but sense it comes from the way the 'Ron Dennis incident' was handled. He was the founder of (modern) Mclaren and had lots of respect, so just had to cause a rift, which should have been plastered over if not repaired at the time.

It will take either a big blow up or a return to winning to sort now.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Big Tea

RonDennis wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 12:31
restless wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 10:03
EB defenders are so funny
According to them he has NO responsibilities, just given from God right to fire and give embarrassing interviews
Exactly, how is it even possible that more heads hasn't rolled when your goal was to be clear 4th. They convinced the shareholders to drop Honda and their money, because they would be at least close to Red Bull on some tracks. How can you defend something like that?

McMika98 wrote:
Redragon wrote:

It's about the fact that you're messed up in the head when you hand out Freddo's to grown up's to show that they have been doing a good job. I certainly would be offended, I rather someone just thanked me personally than giving me a 15p Freddo. It's all about respect, something Boullier doesn't have.
It depends on the way it is done and how it started. I worked for a company who handed out chocolate gold coins for a particular target, but it started as a joke and just took on a life of its own. We liked it as we knew it was not intended to be demeaning. It was a token of recognition of effort. There was a financial element too, but that was at month end not 'on the spot' and team building

Edit to above.#
Coins were handed out by one particular manager, not by the company. This could of course look different to the recipient as it acknowledged appreciation of effort by a particular person.

Redragon

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 12:43
McMika98 wrote:
Redragon wrote:
Don't know about'the workforce isn't top notch anymore'. Have they failed to produce what was asked of them to spec and on time? (They may have, but I have not read of it)

Teams and workforces lack motivation when they can see their efforts are not producing results. It is human nature to be down if you think your efforts are wasted. Once they start winning, or at least seeing benefit and fighting towards, if not at the front, it will return.

The fiasco with Whitmarsh would never have happened if there was not conflict within the lower ranks of the company, if handled properly it should never become public knowledge and action not even required as workers follow good leaders and 'stirrers' get short shift.

I ( and I doubt most of us) do not have a clue what is wrong there, but sense it comes from the way the 'Ron Dennis incident' was handled. He was the founder of (modern) Mclaren and had lots of respect, so just had to cause a rift, which should have been plastered over if not repaired at the time.

what I mean on motivation and objective is eg on the early days of Ron Dennis it was as objective to be as much innovative using technology never seen before in F1, being different with innovation. Today Mercedes objective was to build best hybrid engine that will work in F1 as to promote their commercial brand new hybrid cars.

Mclaren can change management, equipment, etc... but today there is not clear objective, there is not purpose, maybe because this new F1 doesn't leave space for much innovation as it was its core since Dennis took over. So yep they might have balanced books but that doesn't mean they are not throwing money. Every year it is the same oh well we are underperforming but we can invest and change this so next year we will be closer to the winners. Instead of understanding who they are and why they are in F1 first instance. Then when understood you take a plan of execution even if it takes 5 years and people will be happy to work and join the group to achive that objective until that point, they can do a much temporary changes they like, throwing money they have but the results will never arrive if they don't understand who they are

Alonso Fan

Even I don't follow mclaren's or Alonso's twitter feed.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Big Tea

Redragon wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 13:01
Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 12:43
McMika98 wrote:

what I mean on motivation and objective is eg on the early days of Ron Dennis it was as objective to be as much innovative using technology never seen before in F1, being different with innovation. Today Mercedes objective was to build best hybrid engine that will work in F1 as to promote their commercial brand new hybrid cars.

Mclaren can change management, equipment, etc... but today there is not clear objective, there is not purpose, maybe because this new F1 doesn't leave space for much innovation as it was its core since Dennis took over. So yep they might have balanced books but that doesn't mean they are not throwing money. Every year it is the same oh well we are underperforming but we can invest and change this so next year we will be closer to the winners. Instead of understanding who they are and why they are in F1 first instance. Then when understood you take a plan of execution even if it takes 5 years and people will be happy to work and join the group to achive that objective until that point, they can do a much temporary changes they like, throwing money they have but the results will never arrive if they don't understand who they are
Know what you mean.

Singabule

Forget about management and underperformed car, wet qualy and race! Time to show driver skill!

Zynerji

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 11:03
Zynerji wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 10:04
Eric has dropped drastically in my opinion since his work at Lotus. I was a big fan, but after the revelations that Honda could have solved their reliability issues with a bit more space, and being told "absolutely not", he deserves to be terminated.

That single mistake has cost McLaren untold millions in points revenue, sponsorship, fan interest, reputation and status.

Not to mention handing a top competitor the finished product (4cm longer Honda) to take the glory paid for by McLaren pain.

Yes, fire EB asap. I'd be after James Key!
EB is to Franz Tost as Tim Goss is to James Key. You can't fire EB and hire James Key....
Isn't Team Principal what everyone is trying to work their way towards by climbing the ladder?

I didn't know that being a Technical Director meant you couldn't be promoted to the Team Principal position... :wtf:

Alonso Fan

Singabule wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 15:05
Forget about management and underperformed car, wet qualy and race! Time to show driver skill!
Oh nooo
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 23 Jun 2018, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

RonDennis

Imagine fighting with Sauber and still having fans defending you. :lol:

It's a sh!t stain of a car, when are you guys going to accept that? It has been from Melbourne.

Great season right? Let's hope they'll finish better than last year.

The target was being clear fourth, they can't even reach Q2.
Last edited by RonDennis on 23 Jun 2018, 16:23, edited 4 times in total.

PinkFloydPulse

Oh my...Can it get worse than this? #-o
Team Fernando!

Alonso Fan

Oh wow even I wasn't expecting this...

It's gonna be a long race even if they've got some pace
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

JonoNic

Sad thing is that it didn't look like the Mclarens made a mistake. They are just slow...
Always find the gap then use it.

Darth-Piekus

Very poor performance and I can't hide the fact that performance is dropping race after race and I don't see the Updates working.

What is going on in Woking? What exactly did they do all Winter and continue to do all year? How the hell did they manage to go from a car that had one of the best chassis in F1 and that was the MCL32 to one of the worst.

It is clear as day that the only reason all these teams are in front of us is because we are not performing as a normal Mclaren team should perform. It's really time for some heads to roll and some new staff from Woking and from other teams to be recruited if people know what I mean. We have the money, we have the Technology Center. It's time to remake the team.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 23 Jun 2018, 16:29, edited 2 times in total.