2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

I hope this hurts Mclaren hard enough to wake them up. Realizing they have a problem is the first step in the path to recovery.
Guys, You were POOR. Not unlucky, not held back by a gp2 engine or bad timing , just plain crap.

Now realise things are not all someone else's fault, realize you are not a top team and one or two things have glitched, and get on with building a car to fight in mid field ,and improve it for next year. Dont have delusions of grandeur and think you can take pole, Work on what you have.

2020 should be the target now, top 4 next year.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

radosav wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 19:25
So Albert Fabrega says wind tunel - track corelation issue source of McLaren trouble.
So last year, Boullier said they had a 95% success rate in terms of aero updates and correlation was perfect (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12992 ... ccess-rate), now suddenly they’ve got correlation issues even though the aero rules have been quite stable between 2017 and 2018. What is going on at McLaren ?!?! I’m pretty sure they use the TMG wind tunnel in Cologne which is considered one of the best motorsport wind tunnels available so this is very strange although it also explains why they aren’t leaving all the upgrades on the car; they put them on Friday and come Saturday, they’re gone.

godlameroso

So they admit the problem is aero. Funny.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... g-1047361/
Saishū kōnā

RonDennis
RonDennis

Dipesh1995 wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 21:28
radosav wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 19:25
So Albert Fabrega says wind tunel - track corelation issue source of McLaren trouble.
So last year, Boullier said they had a 95% success rate in terms of aero updates and correlation was perfect (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12992 ... ccess-rate), now suddenly they’ve got correlation issues even though the aero rules have been quite stable between 2017 and 2018. What is going on at McLaren ?!?! I’m pretty sure they use the TMG wind tunnel in Cologne which is considered one of the best motorsport wind tunnels available so this is very strange although it also explains why they aren’t leaving all the upgrades on the car; they put them on Friday and come Saturday, they’re gone.
That's probably why that aero guy on Twitter also said that they can make big gains if they fix a certain problem.

proteus

ALO_Power wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 20:58
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 17:45
Never been a McLaren fan ever, but as someone who admires and respects them this is getting painful to watch. All that Honda bashing for 3 years and all that 'we have the best chassis' talk. I'm sorry but McLaren deserves to be spoken about in a higher degree even in tumultuous times and the current set up have made it a joke it should never have come close to being.
Yes mate, we all see that but it's just annoying when people do what u do, coming in this topic when they never post (and being fans and active of another team) after a disaster to enjoy themselves.

Anyway, as for the massive performance drop, is it possible those internal guys that humiliated McLaren in the media and told that they wanna go on strike, started to actually do this and "sabotage" the team to wake em up? I wouldn't be surprised. It's just super weird to drop soooooooo much after the 1st 7 races. Qualifying never was there for sure but still. Also, reliability problems out of the blue started to knock the door while McLaren was the team with zero retirements at the start of the season. Weird, weird. I'm not backing em up in any way, just considered what those employees told.
Another factor to count it in is that temperature was low and they are aparently having a hard time to warm up the tyres properly. This doesnt mean they are good enough for Q3, but 11th could be in reach.

Performance drop in races is not as dramatic as the media and people are suggesting. In last two races they were still in P7 and P10 when the failures appeared. Vandoorne on the other hand is in some sort of crisis - and we dont know if he is to blame, or he is not getting the full and fair treatment.

About retirements - as u said, they enjoyed the best reliability of the Renault teams, but this exactly means that sooner or later components will start to fail. I dont believe people went into "german force labour" mode and started sabotaging parts of the car.

Afterall this bad qualifying results are really harming them, even though they are able to catch Renaults and other midfielders in the race. Top three teams on the other hand are almost a second per lap infront of others.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Big Tea

Right, thats enough hammering, we have made our point and if Mclaren have not got it by now they never will.

What are they going to d about it?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Also, you can't be a team aiming for the top and don't have your own wind tunnel. They better spend the money there instead of making spicy deals with drivers.

RonDennis
RonDennis

ALO_Power wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 22:34
Also, you can't be a team aiming for the top and don't have your own wind tunnel. They better spend the money there instead of making spicy deals with drivers.
BS. The windtunnel in Cologne is one of the best you can get. They also have their own wind tunnel, but it's dated.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

RonDennis wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 22:38
ALO_Power wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 22:34
BS. The windtunnel in Cologne is one of the best you can get. They also have their own wind tunnel, but it's dated.

Yeah, they pretty much do the same thing as Force India. They also have their own wind tunnel which is used for preliminary studies but the bulk of their WT testing is done at TMG.

Schuttelberg

ALO_Power wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 20:58
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 17:45
Never been a McLaren fan ever, but as someone who admires and respects them this is getting painful to watch. All that Honda bashing for 3 years and all that 'we have the best chassis' talk. I'm sorry but McLaren deserves to be spoken about in a higher degree even in tumultuous times and the current set up have made it a joke it should never have come close to being.
Yes mate, we all see that but it's just annoying when people do what u do, coming in this topic when they never post (and being fans and active of another team) after a disaster to enjoy themselves.

Anyway, as for the massive performance drop, is it possible those internal guys that humiliated McLaren in the media and told that they wanna go on strike, started to actually do this and "sabotage" the team to wake em up? I wouldn't be surprised. It's just super weird to drop soooooooo much after the 1st 7 races. Qualifying never was there for sure but still. Also, reliability problems out of the blue started to knock the door while McLaren was the team with zero retirements at the start of the season. Weird, weird. I'm not backing em up in any way, just considered what those employees told.
What makes you think I'm enjoying their misery? I posted the opposite. I also don't get the logic of 'never posting' etc. etc. Everyone has a first post somewhere right? And just by the way, I have posted quite a lot on the McLaren subject.

It's quite annoying when someone attacks you for no rhyme or reason. Get a grip.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

ollandos
ollandos

...i wish for rain and podium finish even lucky tomorrow ...to see eric face against journalists....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

about the situation in the team and car performance ...i dont believe any word from anywhere ....for me mclaren is on its target ...they dont want to win they dont want spend money ..alonso is there becauce there is no other seat on f1 for him ..the object i think is the new blond ...norris and stoffel if speed up his game ..for the future .. no sooner than 2021 ..problaby arround 2024 .. about the car ..my opinion there is desing limit .. after symmer brake must have even brand new car ..is unacceptable for team like mclaren to not solve this type problem for so long time ...and something key ..after 2014 top teams fire and hire top staff persons ..and mclaren non of them ..PP it was off from red bull for 2014 1st year of new hydrid era ..and come in on 2015 .(late semptember of 2014 with not very much work for entire season car spec ) ..bob bell james alison ..and many others go here and there ...

RonDennis
RonDennis

ollandos wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 00:06
...i wish for rain and podium finish even lucky tomorrow ...to see eric face against journalists....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

about the situation in the team and car performance ...i dont believe any word from anywhere ....for me mclaren is on its target ...they dont want to win they dont want spend money ..alonso is there becauce there is no other seat on f1 for him ..the object i think is the new blond ...norris and stoffel if speed up his game ..for the future .. no sooner than 2021 ..problaby arround 2024 .. about the car ..my opinion there is desing limit .. after symmer brake must have even brand new car ..is unacceptable for team like mclaren to not solve this type problem for so long time ...and something key ..after 2014 top teams fire and hire top staff persons ..and mclaren non of them ..PP it was off from red bull for 2014 1st year of new hydrid era ..and come in on 2015 .(late semptember of 2014 with not very much work for entire season car spec ) ..bob bell james alison ..and many others go here and there ...
You expect us to read this? #-o

amho

maguetox wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 16:33
Where is the one of the best chassis of the grid? The McLaren problems are more serious than the PU (or Honda PU until last year).

Some heads need to roll, Boullier and Peter P (with his size 0) needs to get out of McLaren.
They claim that 18 car is actualy an evolution of 17 car. I guess the main problem is rear suspension, the only thing that they changed mostly from last year. I remember that Alonso could set fast times toward the end of the race with full battery after doing a single slow lap in 2017 with Honda power.
There is no Might or Power except with Allah.

PlatinumZealot

GrayGreat wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 19:55
Any news on the updates for this GP? I'm hoping McLaren will bring good amount of updates to this race ( dear updates, please work and solve the issues [-o< ) because with the triple header and short time between Austrian and British GPs, I don't think it'll be possible to bring any substantial updates to those races.
Have you tried killing a few chickens yet? You can try a lamb. Usually the bigger the sacrifice the more likely the Gods to listen. 8)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 00:43
ZB is the Shareholders Guy. This is his 2nd year. I doubt very much his job is on the line. In there mind this is Ron's mess.
ZB will be doing the chopping(if there is any). Before you chop, you need to find out what/who the problem is then you need to shop, then you chop!
Zak had one Job. To bring sponsors money to the team. Last time I checked "sparkly orange paint" is not a multinational company. Zak has failed to perform and needs to go!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏