2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vettel165 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 13:37
You can read the whole article here.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... s-1024781/
That article, to be honest, is somewhat poorly written. Everything after front wing part is confusing, they mention their barge boards were basic in testing, which allegedly changed in Bahrain - maybe I missed it, but there were no photos or reports of changes there or anywhere else.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 19:31
Vettel165 wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 13:37
You can read the whole article here.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/how- ... s-1024781/
That article, to be honest, is somewhat poorly written. Everything after front wing part is confusing, they mention their barge boards were basic in testing, which allegedly changed in Bahrain - maybe I missed it, but there were no photos or reports of changes there or anywhere else.
As far as I've seen on photos their barge boards were the same in Bahrain as they were in Melbourne.

Harvester

marmer wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 17:13
Big Tea wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 21:41
Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:06
If Mercedes don't win in China, it will be very difficult for them to recover. Either that, or they'll just pump in even more money (already an insane amount by them) and win at all costs.

China should suite Mercedes more, cooler track namely - as they definitely struggle with overheating the tyres. However, there are some positives to look for in Ferrari's case - their top speed being the most positive fact by far. Merc had the upper hand in that area so far and it's not a small thing here. However, if Merc take pole, the only chance for Ferrari will be an undercut or an overtake, and we've seen just how hard that is with 2018 cars. If Ferrari hadn't improved their top speed so much, I wouldn't count even on a second place here to be honest.
But it is not a slow car that has stopped the wins this year, it has been unplanned things. The gearbox penalty and VB crash or the Safety car incident could all have happened with a dominant car. Things just happen if you have the fastest car or not.
the gearbox penalty might not have cost them the win. ham would have still started 4th, he would have still needed to pass kimi and botas somehow lets not forget kimi also had bad luck so that might not have been easy.

lets say the front 3 got away as they did and Hamilton didn't move up he would have had to pass kimi on pure pace or by better race strat. while Bottas would have been easier if he had been battling kimi for too long bottas could have been too far ahead and vettal might have been able to pit in the right window
It was suggested that Hamilton had his car setup for the race. So probably he would have been in front of Botas in qualifying if they hadn't had penalty.

marmer

It's all what if's and maybes fact is vet has been flawless so far and has had luck so when he gets his bad luck he might now have the lead he needs to stay ahead

Juzh

GPR-A wrote:
11 Apr 2018, 18:01
Once they manage to resolve the fuel consumption issues
Assuming (!) ferrari ICE has the same or even more outright power, the only reason they're down of fuel consumption is ERS deficiency. There's just no other way anything else could possibly influence consumption to such a degree, especially this year when it seems ferrari has drastically reduced drag. Mercedes has had by far the best ERS for years and I don't see that changing over the course of the year.

In a way VSC probably saved ferrari a little bit in bahrain and gave them some laps to save up some fuel.

MtthsMlw

I love these posters :D

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:54
GPR-A wrote:
Assuming (!) ferrari ICE has the same or even more outright power, the only reason they're down of fuel consumption is ERS deficiency. There's just no other way anything else could possibly influence consumption to such a degree, especially this year when it seems ferrari has drastically reduced drag. Mercedes has had by far the best ERS for years and I don't see that changing over the course of the year.

In a way VSC probably saved ferrari a little bit in bahrain and gave them some laps to save up some fuel.
I do think that fuel problems are still there, but Bahrein was quite positive mainly because the race was that slow for the top teams that fuel consumption was not a problem.

Kingshark

To my surprise, the car looked absolutely mighty today. You would expect a green, old Shanghai circuit to be Mercedes territory. Ferrari absolutely smashed it.

Ferrari modified their floor and diffuser after Melbourne to stabilize the rear. That could explain why they were so slow around Australia.

giantfan10

Vasconia wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 12:39
Juzh wrote:
12 Apr 2018, 11:54
GPR-A wrote:

I do think that fuel problems are still there, but Bahrein was quite positive mainly because the race was that slow for the top teams that fuel consumption was not a problem.
Its amazing to me how a flat out guess by a journalist in testing is now being regurgitated as fact 3 races into the season.Yes i'm reffering to this fuel consumption nonsense that was a blatant guess by a journalist as to why ferrari was hiding their true pace in testing .

Vanja #66

giantfan10 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 22:14
Its amazing to me how a flat out guess by a journalist in testing is now being regurgitated as fact 3 races into the season.Yes i'm reffering to this fuel consumption nonsense that was a blatant guess by a journalist as to why ferrari was hiding their true pace in testing .
Then in AUS that same magazine wrote about Mercedes fuel consumption problems. Beautiful :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

JonoNic

Vanja #66 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
14 Apr 2018, 22:14
Then in AUS that same magazine wrote about Mercedes fuel consumption problems. Beautiful :D
If Ferrari takes a one-two then that rumour is dead.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Always find the gap then use it.

Chene_Mostert

What an unbelievable stupid race strategy by the team :(
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

MtthsMlw

Well even if VET stayed in front he would have been overtaken by the red bulls anyway.

Mr.G

It's too late now but yesterday when they go out in Q2 on ultras I thought for a while, they waited to Mercedes and then swap the strategy... But they decided not to... I don't say I would help, but it would be a bold move :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

ME4ME

Chene_Mostert wrote:
15 Apr 2018, 10:07
What an unbelievable stupid race strategy by the team :(
Yes I think that's fair to say. They lost track position to Bottas unneccesarily. Also they destroyed Kimi's race, and only got lucky in the end. A lot of anger will be deflected towards Verstappen, and rightfully so. But Ferrari made a couple of bad calls today.