2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach

Re: 2018 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

mika vs michael wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:29
Ferrari lacks leadership...sporting wise they look a bit in turmoil. Technically they are in very good shape...They drop the ball...inside the "track" too often
Honestly that was a disaster for everyone involved, management, Vettel and Raikkonen.

Management is afraid to make the clear obvious decisions (and or enforce them).
Vettel makes bad decisions and can't think long term.
And Raikkonen is out there for himself rather than the team.

Fulcrum

Sevach wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 04:07
mika vs michael wrote:
02 Sep 2018, 22:29
Ferrari lacks leadership...sporting wise they look a bit in turmoil. Technically they are in very good shape...They drop the ball...inside the "track" too often
Honestly that was a disaster for everyone involved, management, Vettel and Raikkonen.

Management is afraid to make the clear obvious decisions (and or enforce them).
Vettel makes bad decisions and can't think long term.
And Raikkonen is out there for himself rather than the team.
How is Raikkonen culpable for being put behind Vettel in qualifying? How is Raikkonen culpable for securing Pole, and leading the race? How is Raikkonen culpable for Vettel's error of judgement and the team's use of strategy throughout the weekend?

I know we've got used to seeing him behave as Vettel's doormat, but the only thing I could potentially blame him for is not being fast enough to win the race - and Ferrari management and Vettel himself have far more liability in that regard than Raikkonen.

dans79

Fulcrum wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 08:11
I know we've got used to seeing him behave as Vettel's doormat, but the only thing I could potentially blame him for is not being fast enough to win the race - and Ferrari management and Vettel himself have far more liability in that regard than Raikkonen.
I agree, the team had Kimi push way harder than he needed to after the pit stop.
197 104 103 7

marmer

Monza summed up Ferrari
Wrong car on pole due to tactics in q3
Left vettel exposed to Hamilton in a wheel to wheel situation which most would agree all things equal vets would lose
Then management lost their nerve and pitted Kimi at the first opportunity (once Roman was clear) which turned out to be an awful choice.

I just don't get why they needed to pit Kimi so soon.
Bottas was always going to be in the way so you might as well go long so tyres are fresh at the end. Hamilton was not going to pass on the first stint.
Sure waiting to pit would allow Hamilton Todo the undercut but Ferrari had the faster car to catch and overtake Ham

f1316

I’ve posted this in the race thread, but since it relates to the Ferrari team, I think it’s pertinent here.

For all that the drivers have a part to play in relative success/failure - Lewis doing a much better job at maximising than Seb; Kimi just not on the level of the leading drivers over a race distance - Ferrari are creating unnecessary issues for themselves by not maximising strategy for their lead driver. Martin Brundle sums it up:

“Martin Brundle: "I think Ferrari blew it yesterday because they should have slipstreamed Vettel on to pole. Mercedes have already shown they are prepared to play the team game back in Hockenheim, and again today. It should have been Vettel on pole and Raikkonen defending him, they had it covered.

"I can't help but feel they are throwing it away at Ferrari.

"If we go back to Hockenheim they really could have let Vettel past Raikkonen then as well."

So Ferrari have no one to blame but themselves - they need to actually behave the way everyone accuses them of behaving anyway. It frustrates me the most when they can’t get out of their own way - neither Michael nor Fernando would have accepted not getting a chance of a tow in quali, in Monza, at a vital time in the championship; I don’t see them making Seb’s mistakes either, but Ferrari are not giving him the same treatment and it’s to the team’s detriment.

To beat Lewis in a similarly fast/slightly slower Mercedes, you need Seb leading the charge.

turbof1

IMO, talk about "putting the wrong car on pole" is kinda irrelevant. You always want both cars on top, and you never know if one driver messes up his Q3. What Martin Brundle and co. are doing now, is simply playing captain hindsight.

Vettel also had awful blistering on the soft compound, so it had something to do with the car and the setup. Kimi really had decent pace, but with that tyre degradation he would never have won, not even if he postponed his pit stop. I don't think you can blame Kimi for anything; he gave it his all. If Ferrari did make a strategic blunder, it's that they did not bring enough soft compounds and did not spend more time on their soft stint in practice.
#AeroFrodo

siskue2005

marmer wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 09:39
Monza summed up Ferrari
Left vettel exposed to Hamilton in a wheel to wheel situation which most would agree all things equal vets would lose
Then management lost their nerve and pitted Kimi at the first opportunity (once Roman was clear) which turned out to be an awful choice.
wrong car on pole? Kimi placed his car beautifully in q3 and stayed 3 to 4 seconds to Vettel...... but Vettel also had similar choice to the car in front of him (lewis).....why didnt Vettel place his car nearer to Lewis?? and whose fault is that? Vettel came right behind Lewis out of the pits, if he wanted he could have done it.

siskue2005

turbof1 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 09:58
IMO, talk about "putting the wrong car on pole" is kinda irrelevant. You always want both cars on top, and you never know if one driver messes up his Q3. What Martin Brundle and co. are doing now, is simply playing captain hindsight.

Vettel also had awful blistering on the soft compound, so it had something to do with the car and the setup. Kimi really had decent pace, but with that tyre degradation he would never have won, not even if he postponed his pit stop. I don't think you can blame Kimi for anything; he gave it his all. If Ferrari did make a strategic blunder, it's that they did not bring enough soft compounds and did not spend more time on their soft stint in practice.
they have themselves to blame....with just one soft tyre for Vettel...they didnot have any data on softs on his car.

Kimi's run on 1 softs in practice was not sufficient to get the data on it (just 9 laps)

Big Tea

marmer wrote:
Monza summed up Ferrari

I just don't get why they needed to pit Kimi so soon.
Bottas was always going to be in the way so you might as well go long so tyres are fresh at the end. Hamilton was not going to pass on the first stint.
Sure waiting to pit would allow Hamilton Todo the undercut but Ferrari had the faster car to catch and overtake Ham
I think pitting Kimi was to draw Merc into an early change too, so the cars would be in a favorable place for Ferrari rather than 'in the way', which is also probably why Kimi was ordered to stiff it straight away out of the pit.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

santos

I think Ferrari are falling into a trap. F1 fans don't like team rules, specially on Ferrari. They should put Vettel in the pole, even if they had to sacrífice Kimi.
And in the race… what they were thinking when they decided to pit Kimi knowing he would be behind Botas?

LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 12:17
marmer wrote:
Monza summed up Ferrari
wrong car on pole? Kimi placed his car beautifully in q3 and stayed 3 to 4 seconds to Vettel...... but Vettel also had similar choice to the car in front of him (lewis).....why didnt Vettel place his car nearer to Lewis?? and whose fault is that? Vettel came right behind Lewis out of the pits, if he wanted he could have done it.
Kimi was 2 seconds behind Vettel, Vettel 4 seconds behind Hamilton.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team intentionally going for the slipstream of another team’s car in front. Usually it’s being practiced, like Mclaren often does.

nevill3

My view of the weekend is as follows....Vettel made a mistake in Q3 going into the last chicane which meant that the gap to Hamilton ahead of him was too great so losing the perfect gap for a tow without losing downforce the way Kimi did. This simple error was forced on him probably because either he or the Team didn't want him to be behind Kimi in Q3 on the last run because Kimi regularly chokes on the last run and if he was slower would have impeded Vettel.

The start of the race Vettel should have covered off any challenge from Hamilton first before challenging Kimi unless Kimi got a bad start "which he didn't" . Taking the fight to Kimi in the second chicane was an error, Kimi did not leave the door open or make a mistake so Vettel should have played the long game.

The rest of the race Hamilton was able to keep close to Kimi and would probably have done the same to Vettel due to the huge effect the tow/slipstream has at Monza, pitting earlier than Mercedes was the safest strategy and nearly worked. Mercedes benefited from less tyre degradation and would have won no matter when Ferrari had pitted.

In hindsight the only way Ferrari would have won would have been to have two cars up front with one holding back the lead Mercedes to let the leader build a gap to cover off the undercut. They would have had twenty laps to do this.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

siskue2005

LM10 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 13:18
siskue2005 wrote:
marmer wrote:
Monza summed up Ferrari

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a team intentionally going for the slipstream of another team’s car in front. Usually it’s being practiced, like Mclaren often does.
why not? this is a track as they say massive in slipstreaming and the effect is mega even upto 4 secs gap....the midfield drivers did it in qualy q1 and q2
and Vettel himself said that this was Kimi's opportunity to get the tow as Vettel got it last race

LM10

siskue2005 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 13:39
LM10 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:

why not? this is a track as they say massive in slipstreaming and the effect is mega even upto 4 secs gap....the midfield drivers did it in qualy q1 and q2
and Vettel himself said that this was Kimi's opportunity to get the tow as Vettel got it last race
..which was pretty dumb from Ferrari. At this stage of the season they need to do everything to maximize the chances for Vettel to win races as he’s driving for the WDC title.
Vettel on pole would have meant a clear and much easier start for him. And he would have controlled it much better than Kimi upfront, I believe.

siskue2005

LM10 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 13:52
siskue2005 wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 13:39
LM10 wrote:

..which was pretty dumb from Ferrari. At this stage of the season they need to do everything to maximize the chances for Vettel to win races as he’s driving for the WDC title.
Vettel on pole would have meant a clear and much easier start for him. And he would have controlled it much better than Kimi upfront, I believe.
The tow was not the only reason......Kimi got pole by 0.174 something, the tow maybe worth only 0.050 to 0.075 sec only