General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
User avatar
RZS10
304
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

This article mentions rumours of a Honda return for 2026 https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... sichtsrat/ end of the 6th paragraph - but it's literally just a single sentence "Es mehren sich mittlerweile Gerüchte, dass 2026 auch Honda wieder zurückkehrt."/"There are now rumors that Honda will return in 2026."

User avatar
Zynerji
107
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Honda should r&d the RBR engine in parallel, then re-enter F1 as a "new" engine manufacturer for RBR in 2024 with an updated engine that circumvents the freeze..😏

User avatar
JordanMugen
67
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:27 pm
Last time they came back they had a real slagging. They turned it around and won the championship (but not the engine series) so if they come back they are starting not only from baseline again, but baseline where someone else has made the decisions while they were away. I suspect if Honda do have any plans, it will be with the introduction of the new engine and completely disassociated with any engine currently in use.
They have an engine racing right now though, one which regularly places in the top 3 (at least in qualifying, if not making the distance in the races for various reasons). Honda just need to put a sticker on it (again)! :)

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
507
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Porsche and Audi have declared their intentions. Porsche certainly to partner RedBull, Audi to enter as a team.

It's not all bad for Honda for it will have gotten more than it wanted when it entered in 2014.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
Zynerji
107
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:36 pm
Porsche and Audi have declared their intentions. Porsche certainly to partner RedBull, Audi to enter as a team.

It's not all bad for Honda for it will have gotten more than it wanted when it entered in 2014.
RBR Porche, Alpha Tauri Audi?

User avatar
ispano6
119
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:52 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:36 pm
Porsche and Audi have declared their intentions. Porsche certainly to partner RedBull, Audi to enter as a team.

It's not all bad for Honda for it will have gotten more than it wanted when it entered in 2014.
RBR Porche, Alpha Tauri Audi?
Really has nothing to do with Honda.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
507
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:52 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:36 pm
Porsche and Audi have declared their intentions. Porsche certainly to partner RedBull, Audi to enter as a team.

It's not all bad for Honda for it will have gotten more than it wanted when it entered in 2014.
RBR Porche, Alpha Tauri Audi?
Really has nothing to do with Honda.
It affected the agreement of handing the IP to RedBull remember. Going forward Honda will be more cagey with their data too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
JordanMugen
67
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:52 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 5:36 pm
Porsche and Audi have declared their intentions. Porsche certainly to partner RedBull, Audi to enter as a team.

It's not all bad for Honda for it will have gotten more than it wanted when it entered in 2014.
RBR Porche, Alpha Tauri Audi?
Really has nothing to do with Honda.
Sure it does, it blocks the path for Honda to continue in F1 with Red Bull from 2026 onwards. :cry: Maybe they could buy BAR again, lol...

Although I guess by 2025, that will be 11 years in Formula One which is about as long as Honda ever stays in Formula One at a time.

I just hope they dip into the marketing budget to buy some signage on the Red Bull (& AlphaTauri) and power unit naming rights for 2023-2025 (just a contra deal to discount the fee that Red Bull are paying?), as Formula One has such a big audience and it is such cost-effective marketing at this point with a frozen unit. [Also the ByBit rear wing is ugly and I'd much rather a Honda one! :P ]

Alexf1
Alexf1
8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

My guess is RB will make a bid for the Honda IP so they only need to develop the MGU-K and let Porsche pay these bills.

User avatar
ispano6
119
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

JordanMugen wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:30 am
ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:55 pm
Zynerji wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:52 pm


RBR Porche, Alpha Tauri Audi?
Really has nothing to do with Honda.
Sure it does, it blocks the path for Honda to continue in F1 with Red Bull from 2026 onwards. :cry: Maybe they could buy BAR again, lol...

Although I guess by 2025, that will be 11 years in Formula One which is about as long as Honda ever stays in Formula One at a time.

I just hope they dip into the marketing budget to buy some signage on the Red Bull (& AlphaTauri) and power unit naming rights for 2023-2025 (just a contra deal to discount the fee that Red Bull are paying?), as Formula One has such a big audience and it is such cost-effective marketing at this point with a frozen unit. [Also the ByBit rear wing is ugly and I'd much rather a Honda one! :P ]
If rumors are true maybe they can buy the Brackley outfit back, though I doubt MB Daimler or Wolff will sell it for 1 euro! Maybe Honda will recruit people and build a new team that is based out of the US and use the HALO facilities. I feel if anything Honda will want to build a car/chassis in their next foray.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
507
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Alexf1 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 pm
My guess is RB will make a bid for the Honda IP so they only need to develop the MGU-K and let Porsche pay these bills.
I'm not following why woukd they do this when Honda offers them an engibe package to the end of 2025.

A big concern for RB now is what do they do with all those people they hired to build their power unit if Porche already makes a power unit in Stuttgart?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

Alexf1
Alexf1
8
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:52 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:52 am
Alexf1 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 pm
My guess is RB will make a bid for the Honda IP so they only need to develop the MGU-K and let Porsche pay these bills.
I'm not following why woukd they do this when Honda offers them an engibe package to the end of 2025.

A big concern for RB now is what do they do with all those people they hired to build their power unit if Porche already makes a power unit in Stuttgart?
The IP is for building the 2026 engine. As only the MGU-H is dropped the ICE, TC etc can be a good base to start with. In Stuttgart only the ERS will be made.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
507
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Alexf1 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:02 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:52 am
Alexf1 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 pm
My guess is RB will make a bid for the Honda IP so they only need to develop the MGU-K and let Porsche pay these bills.
I'm not following why woukd they do this when Honda offers them an engibe package to the end of 2025.

A big concern for RB now is what do they do with all those people they hired to build their power unit if Porche already makes a power unit in Stuttgart?
The IP is for building the 2026 engine. As only the MGU-H is dropped the ICE, TC etc can be a good base to start with. In Stuttgart only the ERS will be made.
Where do you get that info?

Porsche is very proud to use it's engine technology. Why would it slap a badge on a RedBull engine? Especially one with Honda DNA? :?:

The VW CEO also spoke of needing three years to develop their engine(s).

So very likely Honda IP continues to stay with Honda and whatever the RedBull guys are working on will be sold to Porsche or scrapped.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||

User avatar
Zynerji
107
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:35 pm
Alexf1 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:02 am
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:52 am


I'm not following why woukd they do this when Honda offers them an engibe package to the end of 2025.

A big concern for RB now is what do they do with all those people they hired to build their power unit if Porche already makes a power unit in Stuttgart?
The IP is for building the 2026 engine. As only the MGU-H is dropped the ICE, TC etc can be a good base to start with. In Stuttgart only the ERS will be made.
Where do you get that info?

Porsche is very proud to use it's engine technology. Why would it slap a badge on a RedBull engine? Especially one with Honda DNA? :?:

The VW CEO also spoke of needing three years to develop their engine(s).

So very likely Honda IP continues to stay with Honda and whatever the RedBull guys are working on will be sold to Porsche or scrapped.
I think Honda showed what a 2015-2017 engine looks like when you take that stance.

Just understanding the TJI-type breakthroughs is enough to WANT Honda DNA to start this project!

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
507
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Post

Zynerji wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:40 pm
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:35 pm
Alexf1 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:02 am


The IP is for building the 2026 engine. As only the MGU-H is dropped the ICE, TC etc can be a good base to start with. In Stuttgart only the ERS will be made.
Where do you get that info?

Porsche is very proud to use it's engine technology. Why would it slap a badge on a RedBull engine? Especially one with Honda DNA? :?:

The VW CEO also spoke of needing three years to develop their engine(s).

So very likely Honda IP continues to stay with Honda and whatever the RedBull guys are working on will be sold to Porsche or scrapped.
I think Honda showed what a 2015-2017 engine looks like when you take that stance.

Just understanding the TJI-type breakthroughs is enough to WANT Honda DNA to start this project!
That's not Porsche. They will want to build it on their own. And I don't think Honda wants them to have it either!
As soon as we heard about Audi/Porsche snooping around the paddock, Honda withdrew the agreement to have RedBull assemble the engines. It's a clear sign that they want to keep those design details close to their chest.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌

====Zen level====
|||||||<@>||^||<@>|||||||