Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

The back straight at China must be comparable to the 3 straights at LaMans ?
I think you have that backwards.
The back straight in China is about 3/4 mile
The old Mulsanne was I think about 3.7 mile
now split into roughly thirds.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

NathanOlder

Re: Ross Brawn says F1 cars from 2021 need to look sensational, like 'video games'

I didnt have it backwards ?

I didnt realise the Mulsanne was so long, so each section now after chicanes, is about 2km long. The China back straight is about 1.2km long.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

toraabe

garyjpaterson wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 11:10
So I take it this is what Ross Brawn is after? Should I send him my CV? :lol:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4722/398 ... aa5a_o.jpg
Excactly ;) http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2 ... ies-02.jpg

toraabe

GM7 wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 14:28
This is because at the time they didn't understand very well the aerodynamic and carbon fiber wasn't use on the cars. So they prefered to make an open wheeler to save weight.
But if you let the nowadays ingeners build a car without rules, they will automaticaly build a close wheeler, i'm quite sure that a Formula One with closed wheels can reech more than 400kph on every race track.
By the way it could be a very good way to reduce dirty air, but everyone will complain about the Formula 1 DNA...
At least like this ;) http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8HGqMEhmKss/T ... rth_14.jpg

jjn9128

Surprised nobody's posted the teasers for the new FE car

https://twitter.com/FIAFormulaE/status/ ... 2446357506
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

TAG

I think F1 should concern itself with creating regulations that stimulate racing. Form follows function, a championship winning car is a beautiful car.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

marmer

JonoNic wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 17:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
marmer wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 11:46

Would be quite exciting at le Man's to see F1 cars Vs prototype
I reckon an LMP1 car would win every time at Le Mans. For F1 to live on the straights, they'd have to run Monza style downforce. They'd then be dead meat in the more technical bits like Porsche curves.

Be an interesting exercise to watch.
Current tyres of an F1 car would be too cold when they reach the Porsche curves

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
during the day i suspect track temps would make this less of an issue and if they did it would require a rule change to allow headlights and re fueling so a change in tyres is not out of the question. also the top speeds are not that high
https://drivetribe.com/p/surprise-car-a ... CJ7CKvtA8g

lmp1 is 208 and lmp2 is 212 not exactly a huge stretch for an f1 especially if they could adjust gearing

Andres125sx

So basically what Brawn said was "F1 cars from 2021 need to look like 2018 FE cars" :P :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Manoah2u

i ain't even mad, it looks pretty stunning but just a tad to lmp1 ish and i still feel that's due to the covered wheel arches.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

A solid rear wing would go a long way for looks, even if it's shallow chord.

marmer

I don't like multiple levels on the front wing can't be that hard to say you can have a flat plane nothing else and the angle can be adjusted via the end plates

FrukostScones

Fenders in F1 and I m out.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Manoah2u

FrukostScones wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 23:30
i'm rather opposed to that too, however, i am not opposed to the really high front end plates we once saw on 80s and 80s cars, which would 'imitate' this look of the Formula E car rather well / or vise versa if you may.

like the 1988 lotus f1 car for example:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/the ... 0805165902

gawd look how gorgeous.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 23:30
Zynerji wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 19:19
A solid rear wing would go a long way for looks, even if it's shallow chord.
Please don´t take this wrong as it´s only my personal opinion wich count exactly the same as any of yours, but IMHO that mentality is what has caused F1 cars design to be more or less frozen for around 4 decades.

I think F1, if it really want to be/stay as the pinnacle of motorsport, must evolve. Anything frozen for 4 decades simply cannot be the pinnacle of anything

With that mentality F1 cars should still be front engine with no aero, but at some point they did evolve. Now it´s time for a new evolution or ir will become a vintage series, something a lot of people will enjoy I know, but I´d prefer if it stay or fight to really be the pinnacle of motorsports, and evolution is a must in that case.

NathanOlder

Haven't the only real rules to stay been open wheels open cockpit , everything else has mainly changed for performance by the designers. Yeah things have been banned and outlawed but the current cars are the best we can get with open wheels and cockpits at this time. The only thing to help would be bringing back things that were banned (ground effects, active suspension ect). The engines are inline with being "green" and the most advanced in f1 we have ever seen.

If it was all "unfrozen" for next 4 decades, we may end up with jet powered flying cars that skip across the circuit at 400mph
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC