Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W09 EQ Power+

zokipirlo wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:28
MtthsMlw wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 17:26
Now AMuS is reporting that they still won't use the rims with holes :lol:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... wieder-zu/
Of course they won't because it's illegal, with every week it's getting more clear. We still don't have TD on that matter...
It's not illegal. Stop trolling. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:36
zokipirlo wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
Of course they won't because it's illegal, with every week it's getting more clear. We still don't have TD on that matter...
why not run it then? It's borderline gray area to the point mercedes themselves arent comfortable running it, which for all intents and purposes makes it illegal.

Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:41
why not run it then? It's borderline gray area to the point mercedes themselves arent comfortable running it, which for all intents and purposes makes it illegal.
It's been approved by the FIA's technical representative and by several sets of stewards so, to date, it is legal.

Mercedes don't want to have their glory tarnished by the political games of others. Having to go to court to defend a Ferrari protest would do just that. They'd win the court case but there would be none of the "joy on the day of winning" that'll come with winning the WCC title without them.

Juzh

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:54
Juzh wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 14:41
It's been approved by the FIA's technical representative and by several sets of stewards so, to date, it is legal.
Wouldn't be the first time things got overturned after stewards declared something legal or not. If there was absolutely nothing to be afraid of and not fear a protest then mercedes would have run it in a heartbeat.

Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 15:08
If there was absolutely nothing to be afraid of and not fear a protest then mercedes would have run it in a heartbeat.
Because winning in media silence after a spurious court case in the winter is not the same as winning at the circuit in a blaze of public glory.

Quite simple really.

Just_a_fan

Just like that. =D>

dans79

This is an interesting little bit of information.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/11/11/ham ... m-failure/
“What I could hear – because I’m having about 10 channels open – on one of the meeting channels was ‘Lewis Hamilton power unit failure imminent – it’s gonna fail within the next lap.’ And I said ‘excuse me, what?’

“And they said we have a massive problem on the power unit and it’s going to fail next lap. It didn’t fail next lap, and I said when you guys have a minute, let them work, [then] tell me what what’s happening.

“They said ‘well, our exhaust is just about to fail’ and we’re over-shooting all the temperature limits as to what’s to fix and so they started to fix it turning the whole thing down. And then the stage temperatures went down to below a thousand, 980, but it’s still too high. Then he recovered another lap. That was truly horrible.”
197 104 103 7

richardn

OK. So now Mercedes have both championships wrapped up, do you think we'll see wheel spacers with holes next race?

From Mercedes PoV, it might be better to get an inevitable appeal done and dusted before the start of next season. They could even persuade an engine customer team to appeal if Ferrari don't.
Last edited by richardn on 12 Nov 2018, 12:29, edited 2 times in total.

Polite

Just_a_fan wrote:
zokipirlo wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

I think this is wrong and i also think this is bias!

henry

richardn wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 11:55
OK. So now Mercedes have both championships wrapped up, do you think we'll see wheel rims with holes next race?

From Mercedes PoV, it might be better to get an inevitable appeal done and dusted before the start of next season. They could even get persuade an engine customer team to appeal if Ferrari don't.
They might well use them. And they probably won’t be protested. What would Ferrari gain if they protested them? Better wait for next year and if they are still there protest them in a race where Mercedes will lose points vital to their championship bids.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan

Polite wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 12:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
zokipirlo wrote:

I think this is wrong and i also think this is bias!
Actually, you are wrong (it's not illegal as it has never been declared to be illegal which is how this works) and you are obviously biased against Mercedes judging by previous posts.

Just_a_fan

henry wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 12:20
What would Ferrari gain if they protested them? Better wait for next year and if they are still there protest them in a race where Mercedes will lose points vital to their championship bids.
Which is why they should get a "friendly opponent" to protest it this year. Then they can go in to next year knowing either a. - they're fully ok to run them, or b. - they can't use them again.

turbof1

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 12:26
henry wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 12:20
What would Ferrari gain if they protested them? Better wait for next year and if they are still there protest them in a race where Mercedes will lose points vital to their championship bids.
Which is why they should get a "friendly opponent" to protest it this year. Then they can go in to next year knowing either a. - they're fully ok to run them, or b. - they can't use them again.
Let's go all out weird and assume Mercedes will protest their own wheels :wink: .

There is also the matter where a whole lot of technical details about the holes and behind is being put on the table for everybody to view at the Court of Appeal. So some crucial hidden details, which perfectly can be legal, might be leaked out and for other teams to copy.
#AeroFrodo

Big Tea

They may well not be needed next year. I think they will roll off into the sunset never to be seen again (until they are needed next :!: )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

djones

I think in the next race we will see the holes and also Lewis with a 2019 PU to test given all of his remaining engines seem to have problems.