McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
BrunoH

Re: McLaren MCL33

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 12:27
BrunoH wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 21:54
Andres125sx wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 17:53

The most amazing thing is you´re still obsessed enough with the PU switch to continue comparing
Obviously... with what else can you compare ? it was a total fail from Mclaren to kill the works deal with Honda... and it showed that Mclaren is now one of the worst teams making an F1 car.....
I think it was a mistake to kill the works deal, but I wouldn´t call it a total fail since perfomance with Renault engine has been better even when this season chassis has some flaws. I think it may be a mistake in the long term if Honda manage to solve their problems, but for 2018 they´re faster with Renault, period.

Only time will tell if it was the correct decision or not, at this point stating it was a total fail only show your bias :wink:

2019 will be enlightening with RBR, both if they improve with Honda or not.
well as a Mclaren fan, im only biased towards Mclaren.. and in this part i dont see how i could be!?!? if not im on the harsh side because its just one mistake after another.. and next year no Alonso etc...

im not a huge Honda fan... i always thought if they were to stop the Mercedes engine deal ( and i think it still was a good decision ) they should have made an engine themselfs.... its that simple. However once they got Free engines plus cash form honda.. yeah its a fail to lose that and still not be competitive!

the EDGE

BrunoH wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 20:13
Andres125sx wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

Obviously... with what else can you compare ? it was a total fail from Mclaren to kill the works deal with Honda... and it showed that Mclaren is now one of the worst teams making an F1 car.....
I think it was a mistake to kill the works deal, but I wouldn´t call it a total fail since perfomance with Renault engine has been better even when this season chassis has some flaws. I think it may be a mistake in the long term if Honda manage to solve their problems, but for 2018 they´re faster with Renault, period.

Only time will tell if it was the correct decision or not, at this point stating it was a total fail only show your bias :wink:

well as a Mclaren fan, im only biased towards Mclaren.. and in this part i dont see how i could be!?!? if not im on the harsh side because its just one mistake after another.. and next year no Alonso etc...

im not a huge Honda fan... i always thought if they were to stop the Mercedes engine deal ( and i think it still was a good decision ) they should have made an engine themselfs.... its that simple. However once they got Free engines plus cash form honda.. yeah its a fail to lose that and still not be competitive!
Well I can’t argue against that, I couldn’t agree more. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and their lack of performance was as much a surprise to McLaren as it was to most of us

604gtir

BrunoH wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
BrunoH wrote:

i think it was a blessing in disguise to be separated from honda, they both needed time to figure their problems and move forwards.
However the decision to switch to Renault to me would only be a fail, if RB wins the constructors before 2021. With the supposed 'best chassis' on the grid and honda engine now together, if that can't win it, then Mclaren wouldnt have lost anything by separating.

Cannonballer

the EDGE wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 20:47
BrunoH wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Well I can’t argue against that, I couldn’t agree more. But hindsight is a wonderful thing and their lack of performance was as much a surprise to McLaren as it was to most of us
McLaren may have been surprised about the full extent of their problems, but they must have been aware that they were lacking much more performance than they let on publicly. Or at least I hope that they did.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

f1rules

Thats exactly the problem, they didnt know, or only the tip of the iceberg if at all, they had three arrogant sec rate tech leaders leading car development and conception and making everyone believe how good mclaren was, because, hey, we are mclaren. Final nail in the box was convincing zak to abandon honda and worse their gazillions of money leaving mclaren in a tunnel with a light so dim its barely vizible.
Performance wise, i dont think ren or honda will make the difference. Its the money and works status. Well atleast these three idiots incompetence and arrogance was called but at a price so high it will leave mclaren in the midfield for years and years to come.
For the first time in 25 years i dont care if i miss a gp. I missed multiple already, that never happened before never! To witness the stupidity at mclaren has been mind blowing. Al the way from the amazon episodes, FAIL mclaren looked just as idiotic as honda, to the video of learning french and my pu is muy bien, fail fail fail fail. On that uplifting post have a great day :-)

mclaren111

f1rules wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 06:46
Thats exactly the problem, they didnt know, or only the tip of the iceberg if at all, they had three arrogant sec rate tech leaders leading car development and conception and making everyone believe how good mclaren was, because, hey, we are mclaren. Final nail in the box was convincing zak to abandon honda and worse their gazillions of money leaving mclaren in a tunnel with a light so dim its barely vizible.
Performance wise, i dont think ren or honda will make the difference. Its the money and works status. Well atleast these three idiots incompetence and arrogance was called but at a price so high it will leave mclaren in the midfield for years and years to come.
For the first time in 25 years i dont care if i miss a gp. I missed multiple already, that never happened before never! To witness the stupidity at mclaren has been mind blowing. Al the way from the amazon episodes, FAIL mclaren looked just as idiotic as honda, to the video of learning french and my pu is muy bien, fail fail fail fail. On that uplifting post have a great day :-)

We are on exactly the same page. This year was my first missing of a live race since 1984. :( :(

I think next year will be better....

M840TR

Big Tea

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 08:35
f1rules wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 06:46

We are on exactly the same page. This year was my first missing of a live race since 1984. :( :(

I think next year will be better....
In complete agreement, but I really do not think the 'buck stops' that low down the ladder.
Still, recognising the problem is a long way to fixing it, as long as the upper echelon are as convinced.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

CLKGTR

Is this new rear wing, with raised mainplane in the middle ala Mercedes W09?

They seem to continue to explore low drag avenues with this sleek endplates without slits/extensions...

M840TR

CLKGTR wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 12:40

They seem to continue to explore low drag avenues with this sleek endplates without slits/extensions...
Mercedes has a lower mainplane but raised outer section to weaken the tip vortex. Almost the exact opposite. The introduced the flat endplates in Spa.

CLKGTR

M840TR wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 12:48
CLKGTR wrote:

Mercedes has a lower mainplane but raised outer section to weaken the tip vortex. Almost the exact opposite. The introduced the flat endplates in Spa.

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 192783.jpg
Yes, they tested the new sleek endplates in Spa, that's why I said 'they seem to continue to explore low drag evenue' :)

Regarding Mercedes rear wing comparison, I was reffering to Mercedes high downforce rear wing which has raised/thicker middle part of the mainplane leading edge.

M840TR

CLKGTR wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 16:18
M840TR wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 12:48
CLKGTR wrote:

https://imgr2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 192783.jpg
Yes, they tested the new sleek endplates in Spa, that's why I said 'they seem to continue to explore low drag evenue' :)

Regarding Mercedes rear wing comparison, I was reffering to Mercedes high downforce rear wing which has raised/thicker middle part of the mainplane leading edge.

https://imgr3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 191202.jpg
The mainplane isn't raised anywhere near to the extent of Mclaren. It's raised on the outer edges though, which is why it's called the spoon wing.

Nonserviam85

604gtir wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 20:53
BrunoH wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

i think it was a blessing in disguise to be separated from honda, they both needed time to figure their problems and move forwards.
However the decision to switch to Renault to me would only be a fail, if RB wins the constructors before 2021. With the supposed 'best chassis' on the grid and honda engine now together, if that can't win it, then Mclaren wouldnt have lost anything by separating.
Only approximately £300M (off-topic please move all similar comments to the team thread)

M840TR

The difference between low and high drag.

charliesmithhd

M840TR wrote:
05 Oct 2018, 00:01
The difference between low and high drag.

https://i.imgur.com/vruLL4T.jpg
Is that an old Mclaren pic? Looks like old sidepod bargeboards